Community Musings...

darksabre

no, I get your point about the repetitiveness, and I understand where you are coming from with the 20-1 analogy. As the site moderator and owner, you need traffic, and unique traffic is the best kind. If the content conversations drives the casual fan away, then that hurts traffic. I also understand where you are coming from as far as being a fan, wanting to enjoy the site so you want to keep it up, and keeping the quality of conversation high. I wasn't trying to suggest that you didn't see the value in the "contrarian" opinions. I wanted to point out that it is possible that some people are willing to take the occasional (even frequent) carpet meme in order to enjoy some opposing viewpoints.

You stated that people leave because of this stuff. And as a site owner/operator, I get your concern. My post was intended to be a rebuttal to that statement. These guys add value that drives people here.

I think the sharper posters can aprreciate certain roles. I look to posters such as yourself and guys like Carp, who has been riding me in his own way lately, as good balanced posters who i try and take my cue from. There have been times here where posters who have come to like me, didn't. And I don't think anyone here always agrees with a certain perspective. Just take these signings....I like Leino as a player and it was a sharp eye. Overpaid...but hey, why not. I am more hesitant with Ehrhoff, because I would have liked a more stay at home guy...but now I think this team is rock solid in goal and D, and has enough talent at forward to get by. I would love for them to be special.....and it is that last bit that I have trouble trusting they will get there with the Darcy/Ruff duo.

In all honesty, I am a closet SportsRadio/Television/Columnist wannabe. In high school I interviewed and had an internship lined up with Channel 2 sports, but when they asked me if I planned on making a career of it, I said there wasn't enough money involved. Honesty isn't always the best policy. That is good though, because something tells me I would be fired weeks in for not pulling punches if I ever was in that field. I've just been lucky enough to do my own thing and not be tied down to a strict legit job. That's why I love this place because as I have idle time or am waiting on something to go, I can scan and chime in.

If this place was filled with a bunch of grumblers, even I would leave.

This is a very good, cathartic tangent. It's a community here, and this is probably the best open and civil discussion I've seen.

If a bunch of the same people here that can get under each other's skin were sitting at a bar and eating wings and drinking beer....there would probably be little to no conflict. I think some posters envision guys like DeLuca or I being that blowhard at the bar..."Grumble.Grumble..Rahr..". You get an image of somebody built in your head from their postings...and it's hard to shake. I would love to meet pretty much any regular here at some point. I can't say that about the Bills board though. There is pound for pound much more intelligent posting here, and I have never felt threatened for as much as I can stir the pot.

Scott does a good job. I think he's come to learn when I'm just playing "big brother" and ribbing and annoying someone a little out of love, or when I'm taking target practice and knows when to ignore me. I've probably said more personal things to him over the years than anyone...but he's been a man about it. I know that sometimes he has a short fuse and his postings will reflect that. I will admit that at first I used to say, "this guy is an a-hole", but then I saw a large enough pattern of posts from him, it's just his personality trigger. It's a tough balancing act to be both a poster and moderator/owner of the board. I can understand why Weave feels the way he does...but in Scott's defense, i know both PA and myself will challenge his authority in posts. I've pushed it enough over the years and have not been banned, so i trust Scott had reason to do it even in bad timing.

There are some strong personalities here and plenty of intelligent fans. Sometimes I will find myself annoyed by someone, but then totally enjoy their posts. I try not to take anything too personal. I also understand everyone wants the team to win. After this week, I think we can all agree the franchise is moving in the right direction at good speed. This should help keep tension down. It won't stop me from pointing out weakness or calling out players, but this team shouldn't be depressing.

Good talking everyone.....if couples could communicate like the last 4 pages, the divorce rates would be down.

While I am extremely new here and don't have nearly enough knowledge on the history of this/these situation(s) to comment on it, I have been a regular at TBD for a couple years now and what you said about the knowledge levels between the boards is spot on. I have to believe that a good portion of that is because of the futility that the Bills have displayed over the past 11 years, but that is not a relevant topic for here. From what I have seen of Scott, I have believed that he is a doing a great job of balancing the roles of running the website and being an active member of the community. If this same discussion had popped up over on TBD, I could only imagine all the hell that would break loose.

Long story short, I am just expressing my gratitude for what Scott does both here and on TBD. It's a tough position he has to fill and does a fantastic job of it.

Wow, I guessed I miss something. Must say I enjoy most of the dialogue amongst the veteran posters and some of the new guys certainly are carrying their weight. It can be hard being the smartest guy here but as I have gotten older I've found that reading only every other word from a poster like Deluca, Ghost, Weave or PA makes it much more tolerable.

Just trying to rebuild that image that may have been lost in a moment of weakness.

Thanks Scott for the forum.....

Speaking as a Newbie's Newbie, discussion is good, and having things go both ways on here is great. The dynamic seems great for overall forum success and I'm really happy I landed here instead of on some lesser board because there is such a high level of discourse.

I just need to get my sarcasm detector fixed sometimes :oops:

Thanks for the forum, SDS, and thanks to everyone else for making it worth being here.

I may be taking you wrong but I get a strong vibe that you want to pressure to suppress or censor the likes of DeLuca. One reason I come to his defence is because POV's like his are crucial to open discussion. You need both extremes to get the whole picture out. You may not like what he has to say but he improves the quality of the thoughts being exchanged here, he requires the others to more carefully think about there position.

Or even someone who is the complete opposite of DeLuca on a lot of things. The recent Complaint Thursday thread was a prime example. The thread title there basically implies an absolutely open invitation for people to vent about anything and everything that has gone on over the previous week. Then, for the boss man to come along and basically tell me to "go take your politics elsewhere" was another way of saying, "I define what free speech is around here, not the First Amendment". If that's the way things are going to operate around here, then Complaint Thursdays needs to be permanently closed (and, thus, get fellow board members even further p/o'd).

Now, for stuff that IS hockey-related, I just could not believe how people were piling on about how "bad" the Ville Leino signing was and how we "missed out on a golden opportunity" to snag Brad Richards. FWIW, Leino could be the missing piece of the puzzle that we've been looking for. We won't know until the regular season begins if he's going to be for us what Butch Goring was for the Islanders. IDK about you guys, but I can't wait for October to get here. Then, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Or even someone who is the complete opposite of DeLuca on a lot of things. The recent Complaint Thursday thread was a prime example. The thread title there basically implies an absolutely open invitation for people to vent about anything and everything that has gone on over the previous week. Then, for the boss man to come along and basically tell me to "go take your politics elsewhere" was another way of saying, "I define what free speech is around here, not the First Amendment". If that's the way things are going to operate around here, then Complaint Thursdays needs to be permanently closed (and, thus, get fellow board members even further p/o'd).

(Weave, I made a mistake earlier... I meant I would buy the Bills - that's how many nickels I could have collected.)

I can't help it if you want to talk about abortion while ordering 1/2 lb of cheese and a 1 lb of ham in the deli line. The Complaint Thursday thread is pretty well understood by everyone else. I'm sorry the 1st 5,000 posts have left you confused.

(Weave, I made a mistake earlier... I meant I would buy the Bills - that's how many nickels I could have collected.)

I can't help it if you want to talk about abortion while ordering 1/2 lb of cheese and a 1 lb of ham in the deli line. The Complaint Thursday thread is pretty well understood by everyone else. I'm sorry the 1st 5,000 posts have left you confused.

I'd still rather buy the Sabres.

...and this is exactly how it is and should be. The First Amendment to the Constitution does not apply to a privately-run internet message board. :doh:

Who buys a half pound of cheese with a pound of ham? You won't enough cheese? :D

SDS, glad I missed the opening round of this discussion. At first blush, I thought your post was rather arrogant,.

As I read, I realized the point you were trying to make I realized I don't have a problem with it. As someone who came over from the Bills board's political discussion line and who understands hockey much better than football, having played it myself since I was young, and followed the Sabres from a young age, I really enjoy this board and don't really want to deal with personal attacks here.... I agree personal abuse attacks that are not tongue in cheek should not be tolerated.

That being said, the response you are getting here from some others appears as much a result of of the way you go about it. For instance, you were critical of me last week for posting things on the wrong thread. OK, say it is a pet peave for you... send me a personal message stating you would prefer I keep on topic as administrator. Your style instead is one of showing people up right off the bat. Topics are high jacked all the time around here.

I was just trying to expand the discussion about Richard to other options, because I was unsure and have some valid concerns about Richard viabilitity.

Your initital response, while legitiimate, was done in a way that was personally piqueish imo. Your reacton would have been fine on the political section of the Bills board. Just so you know that the response you may get from some people as a result of your style of comments as a moderator, mature or immature, in part is a reaction to your initial foray into addressing this issue of which you are concerned about.

I found your opening statement here as such (paternalistic) and am glad that I didn't respond before I read the rest of the discussion before responding. I found I happen to agree with you but had a hard time getting over my initial reaction upon reading your opening comment.

Maybe at this point and time after all these years you feel sick of addressing things in a firm, but kind and gentle manner.. fine, but know that tone can often be everything. E.g., I can tell you to go @#$# yourself and done the right way will get you to laugh or done wrong will make you want to hit me in the face or worse.

Just a suggestion, take it for what it is worth and avoid broad strokes directed at everyone. 99% of us are passionate Sabre fans and while many like to complain, we are very happy when the Sabres do well.

...and this is exactly how it is and should be. The First Amendment to the Constitution does not apply to a privately-run internet message board. :doh:

I'm glad someone else gets it. The reason political and religious stuff tends to be taboo, not just here but on other boards I frequent, is that related discussions NEVER end well. If they are allowed to happen it ends up making everyone hate each other. That's why there tends to be an unwritten ban here about religious and political material, because it's better for the community.

For some reason though, XC hasn't picked up on it, despite having been a member here for years.

I'm glad someone else gets it. The reason political and religious stuff tends to be taboo, not just here but on other boards I frequent, is that related discussions NEVER end well. If they are allowed to happen it ends up making everyone hate each other. That's why there tends to be an unwritten ban here about religious and political material, because it's better for the community.

For some reason though, XC hasn't picked up on it, despite having been a member here for years.

Political and religious discussions can work and be had without sniping and personal attack, just as sports discussions can work without personal attack. One other discussion board that I am active on is almost exclusively political in nature with a good dose of religious debate thrown in. It is a very tight knit community, tight enough that there are periodic regional get togethers among the members. How did it manage to stay reasonably freindly? Simple. Zero tolerance on personal attacks and trolling. Any name calling or disrespect towards an individual gets you an automagic immediate 24 hr suspension. If you accumulate suspensions it becomes a month. Keep up the activity some more and it's an IP ban. THey are firm but fair. Any and all points of view are welcome. Insults and personal innuendo are not. Address the post, not the personality. And I think that is the most important aspect right there, post not personality. The site is actively moderated, the mods are active posters, and everyone respects the line. If they don't respect the line, they don't get to participate in the discussion.

I understand SDS's point, but I don't agree with his stance on allowing personal insults to happen in response to a on-topic opinion. Obviously, it is his show. He can do with it as he sees fit. And he certainly doesn't need any of our permission to enforce the rules as he sees fit. But I am also free to voice my opinion about it. Well.... as long as he lets me anyway. :blush:

I haven't been able to read much of anything this week, so I'm a bit curious as to what I missed. The one thing I keep picking up on while readin this one is that when someone uses terms like "lightning rod posters", everyone immediately knows exactly who we're talking about. If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. People who go out of their way to get attention are getting it.

If I'm on his blocked list, then he's only seen about half of those complaint thursday posts.

One thing I think this community really could use is a pinned and locked thread explaining when it is appropriate to create a new thread, and when your thought should be placed into an existing discussion. The, "I have a thought, lets make a thread" people, are starting to drive me crazy. I think my idea would be a good friendly place to start in trying to control topic-sprawl.

One thing I think this community really could use is a pinned and locked thread explaining when it is appropriate to create a new thread, and when your thought should be placed into an existing discussion. The, "I have a thought, lets make a thread" people, are starting to drive me crazy. I think my idea would be a good friendly place to start in trying to control topic-sprawl.

^^^THIS. It isn't normally an issue during the regular season, and I get that it's confusing during free agency because sometimes the topics overlap, but it's definitely been worse lately. A lot of people intentionally lurk before joining/posting to get the feel of the forum and what's good form, etc. but sometimes you get newbies who create new topics the same way people update their Facebook status. I'm sure a lot of them are very nice people who maybe just didn't know, but it's kind of annoying and probably creates a lot of extra work for the mods to always be combining duplicate threads.

I haven't been able to read much of anything this week, so I'm a bit curious as to what I missed. The one thing I keep picking up on while readin this one is that when someone uses terms like "lightning rod posters", everyone immediately knows exactly who we're talking about. If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does. People who go out of their way to get attention are getting it.

If I'm on his blocked list, then he's only seen about half of those complaint thursday posts.

J _ A L O _ S

"Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel."

Archived