Community Musings...

darksabre

Some people here remind me of a scene in 2 and a half men where Charlie is showing Alan how their mother can turn anything into a negative.

Thats not to say I don't like hearing another viewpoint then the happy happy joy joy one. But as SDS said at some point you have to step back from the constant comments. I mean if you came home and every day your neighbor came up to you and complained about the person across the street eventually you would stop talkng to them

Or learn to hate the neighbor across the street....

GoDD and Deluca have convinced me many, many times that my opinion (or preference on a certain subject) was just plain wrong.

Of course I keed.

Duds, you ignorant slut, that was Dan Ackroyd that she called a 'pompous ass.' Chevy worked solo.

(Sorry, it just had to be said. ;))

Nice, you got me, corrected as stands but just maybe I was just testing you and you fell for my trap proving that more knowledgeable posters will correct you when you err :unsure: ...

Nawh probably just warning signs I'm in the early throws of Altzheimer's. ;)

Here's how it starts: Someone posts something completely absurd, like Ruff is a bad coach, or Miller is overrated.

Post it once, fine.

But the people who post this negative crap keep doing it over, and over, and over, and OVER.

So, to take out the Karl Rove "if you repeat a lie enough, it becomes truth," (I know I'm paraphrasing) element, there has to be a fight back. And it gets tiring.

Ruff is the same coach that he was when he won a Wales Trophy and a President's Trophy.

Miller is the same goalie he was when he won a Vezina and a silver medal (the latter, just about on his own).

And those are just examples--there's a LOT more bullsh*t that flies on here. (I've been challenged myself on the Connolly drinks too much thing. Ok. Fair enough, but I don't bang that drum on a twice-daily basis.)

The negative people, well, they'll just keep on repeating negative stuff until it drives you away from the board for lack of wanting to bother anymore.

On the other hand, I don't see a whole lot of the "kool-aid crew" or whatever anyone wants to call them, starting affirmative threads or affirmative posts with their positions. It's nearly always in reaction to the same crap.

That's what makes it draining.

I choose my verbs well.

And those are just examples--there's a LOT more bullsh*t that flies on here. (I've been challenged myself on the Connolly drinks too much thing. Ok. Fair enough, but I don't bang that drum on a twice-daily basis.)

So wait. You're saying you don't like Connolly? :o

Here's how it starts: Someone posts something completely absurd, like Ruff is a bad coach, or Miller is overrated.

Post it once, fine.

But the people who post this negative crap keep doing it over, and over, and over, and OVER.

So, to take out the Karl Rove "if you repeat a lie enough, it becomes truth," (I know I'm paraphrasing) element, there has to be a fight back. And it gets tiring.

Ruff is the same coach that he was when he won a Wales Trophy and a President's Trophy.

Miller is the same goalie he was when he won a Vezina and a silver medal (the latter, just about on his own).

The negative people, well, they'll just keep on repeating negative stuff until it drives you away from the board for lack of wanting to bother anymore.

On the other hand, I don't see a whole lot of the "kool-aid crew" or whatever anyone wants to call them, starting affirmative threads or affirmative posts with their positions. It's nearly always in reaction to the same crap.

I choose my verbs well.

This is basically why I don't post as much anymore. It's not worth the effort because eventually most discussions end up going to hell anyway. I'll sit and watch people who have the vigor to challenge, but I no longer feel the need.

On the other hand, I don't see a whole lot of the "kool-aid crew" or whatever anyone wants to call them, starting affirmative threads or affirmative posts with their positions.

I choose my verbs well.

aptitude and skill!

Also: shouldn't it be someone else who compliments you on your verb choices? You can certainly say that you chose your verbs deliberately, or even in a considered fashion, but well?

Just in case you wanted a new topic for discussion, of course...

aptitude and skill!

Also: shouldn't it be someone else who compliments you on your verb choices? You can certainly say that you chose your verbs deliberately, or even in a considered fashion, but well?

Just in case you wanted a new topic for discussion, of course...

You missed it...

This is basically why I don't post as much anymore. It's not worth the effort because eventually most discussions end up going to hell anyway. I'll sit and watch people who have the vigor to challenge, but I no longer feel the need.

Same here.

Same here.

Sux for the rest of us. Both of you are good, knowledgable posters. And IIRC, I don't always agree with either of you.

We are emerging from a rather stale period for the Sabres. I fully expect a re-energized fanbase and far more topics to talk about with fresh blood in the lineup and changes surrounding the fan experience. There should be many more things to feel good about...

Sux for the rest of us. Both of you are good, knowledgable posters. And IIRC, I don't always agree with either of you.

Thanks, 11.

We are emerging from a rather stale period for the Sabres. I fully expect a re-energized fanbase and far more topics to talk about with fresh blood in the lineup and changes surrounding the fan experience. There should be many more things to feel good about...

This is also true. Summertime is upon us, nice weather, more time outdoors, etc., and those all play a role. The franchise's changes actually have me excited enough to be looking forward to the fall and the start of the season. I am also hopeful that the Sabres' moves and change in direction will also temper some of the lightning rod crew's repetitiveness and constant hammering of the same tired points/topics, but in that regard only time will tell.

Post it once, fine.

I choose my verbs well.

C'mon. Admit it. You kinda like the fight, don't you? If you didn't, since you are only talking about three or four posters, you could easily use the ignore feature to save yourself the hassle.

C'mon. Admit it. You kinda like the fight, don't you? If you didn't, since you are only talking about three or four posters, you could easily use the ignore feature to save yourself the hassle.

No, because the quotes show up. And I consider one of those "three or four" (I think it's about a dozen, BTW) to be an online friend, and I consider another to be knowledgeable. And a couple more have gems now and then.

Not to defend DeLuca, I'm sure from reading his posts that he's quite capable but I can't keep track of the times on a daily basis when he's not in the conversation and posters will throw out his name in a derogatory fashion to bring him into the conversation. Insults against not only his stance but his intelligence and whatever fancies the offending party at the time. Almost always of a personal nature. Never have I seen this behaviour admonished by admin. At times I agree with him and at other times I don't but he definitely adds insight to this board. Some people almost seem to miss him when he's absent and throw out DeLuca insults. Not sure why stuff like this is permitted. Perhaps its because he's from the dark side for many on this board.

and no, I'm not Mrs. DeLuca. :rolleyes:

Not to defend DeLuca, I'm sure from reading his posts that he's quite capable but I can't keep track of the times on a daily basis when he's not in the conversation and posters will throw out his name in a derogatory fashion to bring him into the conversation. Insults against not only his stance but his intelligence and whatever fancies the offending party at the time. Almost always of a personal nature. Never have I seen this behaviour admonished by admin. At times I agree with him and at other times I don't but he definitely adds insight to this board. Some people almost seem to miss him when he's absent and throw out DeLuca insults. Not sure why stuff like this is permitted. Perhaps its because he's from the dark side for many on this board.

DeLuca's alright. He loves the Sabres. "Pulling a DeLuca" is patented here, that's why he comes up in conversation. :nana: um :o

No, because the quotes show up. And I consider one of those "three or four" (I think it's about a dozen, BTW) to be an online friend, and I consider another to be knowledgeable. And a couple more have gems now and then.

The Tao of SabreSpace... I actually take enjoyment in watching how some can turn such a good thing into something negative. It's really quite impressive at times.

And if those gems come out of that type of personality, then I don't want to ban, or even stifle, that. It's really not that hard to just note the poster and read accordingly. I'm always amazed that people get as worked up as they do over what someone else says here.

I completely agree. I've actually called a few out on it before. I think they stopped for about a day.

Post it once, fine.

I choose my verbs well.

Your post points out a fundamental difference between the two groups of posters being discussed here. You consider any challenge to the position of Ruff and Miller as "absurd." That Ruff and Miller should be held in the highest regard as they were in the high points of their careers. I wouldn't consider any topic "absurd." It is also unrealistic to consider a coach or a player to be the same from year to year. I am sure Ruff himself would say he is not the same coach he was a year ago let alone many years ago. I am also certain that Miller wouldn't consider his play last year on par with his best year. These end up as topics in threads bit are rarely seriously discussed. When an attempt is made to start an actual discussion is when the "kool-aid crew", as you called them, turn the conversation to anything other than the topic at hand.

It's more draining reading the same excuses flood the threads than it is reading opinions that may put the team in a negative light. SDS used the ratio of 20-1. He had the right numbers, he just misapplied them. It's a 20 excuses to one negative comment ratio. It is the excuses that fit your "if you repeat a lie enough, it becomes truth," scenario.

It's not the "negative" posters that is the problem. As it has been said, there are only a handful of us. It's that there is portion of the membership that can't deal with the actual discussion. For the record I do not consider you one of those. They do exist however and are easy to recognize.

The Tao of SabreSpace... I actually take enjoyment in watching how some can turn such a good thing into something negative. It's really quite impressive at times.

And if those gems come out of that type of personality, then I don't want to ban, or even stifle, that. It's really not that hard to just note the poster and read accordingly. I'm always amazed that people get as worked up as they do over what someone else says here.

I completely agree. I've actually called a few out on it before. I think they stopped for about a day.

Bunomatics point is the main point I am railing against here. I'm pretty sure I ended up on Team Stormcloud because I felt compelled to call out the folks who insist on calling DeLuca out in threads he's not even participating in (See Sekera thread today) or insulting him when he's at least on topic.

Like I;ve said before, respond to the post, not the personality. Oh and, if you are getting bent over someone else's opinion, you're doing it wrong.

Your post points out a fundamental difference between the two groups of posters being discussed here. You consider any challenge to the position of Ruff and Miller as "absurd." That Ruff and Miller should be held in the highest regard as they were in the high points of their careers. I wouldn't consider any topic "absurd." It is also unrealistic to consider a coach or a player to be the same from year to year. I am sure Ruff himself would say he is not the same coach he was a year ago let alone many years ago. I am also certain that Miller wouldn't consider his play last year on par with his best year. These end up as topics in threads bit are rarely seriously discussed. When an attempt is made to start an actual discussion is when the "kool-aid crew", as you called them, turn the conversation to anything other than the topic at hand.

It's more draining reading the same excuses flood the threads than it is reading opinions that may put the team in a negative light. SDS used the ratio of 20-1. He had the right numbers, he just misapplied them. It's a 20 excuses to one negative comment ratio. It is the excuses that fit your "if you repeat a lie enough, it becomes truth," scenario.

It's not the "negative" posters that is the problem. As it has been said, there are only a handful of us. It's that there is portion of the membership that can't deal with the actual discussion. For the record I do not consider you one of those. They do exist however and are easy to recognize.

You also should add that just because something is negative, doesn't mean it isn't true. I think that is what might actually set off the Sunshine and Kitten Crew. They know it's true but don't want to be reminded that their team is flawed.

I also find it funny that everything Team Stormcloud has been getting attacked for that past couple of years is exactly what the new ownership has attempted to change since taking over.

You also should add that just because something is negative, doesn't mean it isn't true. I think that is what might actually set off the Sunshine and Kitten Crew. They know it's true but don't want to be reminded that their team is flawed.

I also find it funny that everything Team Stormcloud has been getting attacked for that past couple of years is exactly what the new ownership has attempted to change since taking over.

True.

DeLuca, it's the repetition of the absurd that's the problem, not the viewpoint. Again, I don't recall anyone turning every other thread into a pro-Ruff or pro-Miller thread.

Pegula fired Ruff and Regier, pumped in new crowd noise, and benched Miller? See what I mean about needing to correct ######?

Archived