Community Musings...

darksabre

DeLuca, it's the repetition of the absurd that's the problem, not the viewpoint. Again, I don't recall anyone turning every other thread into a pro-Ruff or pro-Miller thread.

Pegula fired Ruff and Regier, pumped in new crowd noise, and benched Miller? See what I mean about needing to correct ######?

Trying to start an actual conversation is never "absurd."

Saying "Miller is a great goaltender" is considered an opinion. Saying "Miller is a great goaltender and maybe the Sabres should consider moving him to change the makeup of the team" is not considered an opinion. It's considered "absurd", negative and means I hate the Sabres. Even though my end result, IMO, makes the team better.

I can start a Ruff or Miller thread because I am not afraid of the conversation. It's doesn't take much energy to post "Go Sabres" over and over again. Taking a position that goes against the majority takes a great deal more effort.

Saying "Miller is a great goaltender" is considered an opinion. Saying "Miller is a great goaltender and maybe the Sabres should consider moving him to change the makeup of the team" is not considered an opinion. It's considered "absurd", negative and means I hate the Sabres. Even though my end result, IMO, makes the team better.

I can start a Ruff or Miller thread because I am not afraid of the conversation. It's doesn't take much energy to post "Go Sabres" over and over again. Taking a position that goes against the majority takes a great deal more effort.

I don't mind it when you, or anyone else, starts a thread regarding Ruff, Miller, or anyone else. I do mind it when nearly every GDT, and nearly half of the other threads, become discussions on whether the Sabres should fire the coach. And that stuff is almost always not started by the folks that want the team to retain the coach. I also minded it when nearly every home game GDT became someone's soapbox about crowd noise at an arena to which he never has been--although we agreed mid-season to not bring it up anymore.

It's not the viewpoint, it's the constant soapboxing. It demands a constant response. And it's constantly annoying. If you want to start a permanent "should the Sabres fire Ruff" thread, do it (and I think I saved a few people the trouble last year when I did so and asked if we could keep this stuff out of all of the other threads). Keep it updated; bump it when necessary, etc.

EDIT: BTW, I considered Miller to be tradeable...

I don't mind it when you, or anyone else, starts a thread regarding Ruff, Miller, or anyone else. I do mind it when nearly every GDT, and nearly half of the other threads, become discussions on whether the Sabres should fire the coach. And that stuff is almost always not started by the folks that want the team to retain the coach. I also minded it when nearly every home game GDT became someone's soapbox about crowd noise at an arena to which he never has been--although we agreed mid-season to not bring it up anymore.

It's not the viewpoint, it's the constant soapboxing. It demands a constant response. And it's constantly annoying. If you want to start a permanent "should the Sabres fire Ruff" thread, do it (and I think I saved a few people the trouble last year when I did so and asked if we could keep this stuff out of all of the other threads). Keep it updated; bump it when necessary, etc.

Why?

I mind when the GDT thread becomes all about the officials.

Coaching is one of those topics that is applicable from game to game. As is goaltending on a team built from the net out. Ruff and Miller are at the forefront of this franchise. They are hot-button topics and are going to continue to be at the top of the list of topics.

You also should add that just because something is negative, doesn't mean it isn't true. I think that is what might actually set off the Sunshine and Kitten Crew. They know it's true but don't want to be reminded that their team is flawed.

I also find it funny that everything Team Stormcloud has been getting attacked for that past couple of years is exactly what the new ownership has attempted to change since taking over.

Everyone sees it differently. Team whatever. People posts their opinions, stromcloud or kittens, both get "attacked". FWIW I think it's more the opinion than the poster themselves that gets challenged. Some give up, that's okay I understand. readers need to understand that unless it actually happened, today, not a year ago, it's an OPINION and nothing else. You could easily write "Stromcloud post insert here" or a "kittens here" post rebuttal. Refusing to acknowledge the good or the bad in a team is never a means to an end.

Every body gets an opinion, that's what this board is about. it's when someone (not necessarily DeLuca) tries to shove it down someones throat with a boatload of sugar that it gets old.

Again, so what. Why do you care what someone who has never been to the arena says about the crowd noise?

Because the falsehood will become taken for truth.

I mind when the GDT thread becomes all about the officials.

Coaching is one of those topics that is applicable from game to game. As is goaltending on a team built from the net out. Ruff and Miller are at the forefront of this franchise. They are hot-button topics and are going to continue to be at the top of the list of topics.

Calling out a bad coaching decision (or praising a good decision--which seldom happens) is appropriate for a GDT. Soapboxing your feelings about the coach for the 82d straight GDT in a season is not. Hey, every year, at the beginning of the season, I mention that Ruff doesn't manage backups well. I'll do it a couple more times during the year, too. Will I put it in every GDT? No.

Ok. Time for bed, and I don't think I'll be able to visit the site tomorrow--at least not before a long-awaited meeting with friends and coworkers at a bar, and it's never good when I post here after going to a bar. So please, take it as granted that I won't agree with you. Or you, either. Or you--yeah, that guy lurking in the background--you.

Now YOU, I might agree with.

I don't agree. Go Sabres! Go Sabres! Trade Miller. Go Sabres! ;)

I don't mind it when you, or anyone else, starts a thread regarding Ruff, Miller, or anyone else. I do mind it when nearly every GDT, and nearly half of the other threads, become discussions on whether the Sabres should fire the coach.

I think part of it is knowing when to move away from reading a thread. GDT - during the game is all emotion. Then you get analysis, complaining, more analysis the next morning and then stay away if it keeps going from there because no good comes after that. By time you are getting over 100 posts in a thread, other than significant topics, you can expect tangent after tangent. How about that women's world cup soccer?

I hope by now junior has a slugless jersey.

:lol:

He will soon. He's definitely outgrown his current slug replica - it really stood out when he put it on for his learn-to-skate classes this month with the hockey pants and all that. I just couldn't drop $80 at Great Skate this weekend on a pro-weight kids version. I'll have to wait till closer to the season and try to find him a cheaper screened replica. My brother got him the current one and I think he found it at Kohl's or JC Penney's.

:lol:

He will soon. He's definitely outgrown his current slug replica - it really stood out when he put it on for his learn-to-skate classes this month with the hockey pants and all that. I just couldn't drop $80 at Great Skate this weekend on a pro-weight kids version. I'll have to wait till closer to the season and try to find him a cheaper screened replica. My brother got him the current one and I think he found it at Kohl's or JC Penney's.

I've got a slug with blood stains you can have for $20. You can tell him it was game worn.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't help it if you want to talk about abortion while ordering 1/2 lb of cheese and a 1 lb of ham in the deli line. The Complaint Thursday thread is pretty well understood by everyone else. I'm sorry the 1st 5,000 posts have left you confused.

Oh, WHAT-EVERRRR!!!

I think I've had more fun at funerals.

SMH...

I don't come here very often but when I do I usually study the mood or temperament of the board before I start posting. I really don't pretend to know as much as I might possibly think that I know about hockey or being a Buffalo Sabres hockey fan. I guess if I do post anything I'm afraid of the fallout from being made to look like a poster who wouldn't know a bag of pucks from goalie pads. I follow Sabres games as much as I possibly can but I am not the Mister know it all of Sabres hockey. Knowledge wise I am not steeped in the traditions of Sabres hockey as it appears that every one else seems to be.

But I can honestly say that when I am here I enjoy having this board to come to. I just wish sometimes that I could add more to the conversation in a respectful manner. That I could make valid points with out being afraid of being called a trouble maker or a doofus at the other end of the spectrum. We have some very good and knowledgeable posters here. I just wish that we could engage in a more civil discourse without some of the personal attacks that occur here sometimes.

Just my 2 cents worth. :blush:

I don't come here very often but when I do I usually study the mood or temperament of the board before I start posting. I really don't pretend to know as much as I might possibly think that I know about hockey or being a Buffalo Sabres hockey fan. I guess if I do post anything I'm afraid of the fallout from being made to look like a poster who wouldn't know a bag of pucks from goalie pads. I follow Sabres games as much as I possibly can but I am not the Mister know it all of Sabres hockey. Knowledge wise I am not steeped in the traditions of Sabres hockey as it appears that every one else seems to be.

But I can honestly say that when I am here I enjoy having this board to come to. I just wish sometimes that I could add more to the conversation in a respectful manner. That I could make valid points with out being afraid of being called a trouble maker or a doofus at the other end of the spectrum. We have some very good and knowledgeable posters here. I just wish that we could engage in a more civil discourse without some of the personal attacks that occur here sometimes.

Just my 2 cents worth. :blush:

Supe, the more that you add to that civil discourse, the better this board will be.

Jeez, I missed this entire thread until now.

Hands down, I say hands down this is the best board out there. I absolutely love the diversity of opinion on here. It is what keeps me coming back daily.

What a great thread. Probably some of the most articulate and passionate posts I've seen on this board.

For the record, I agree that it can get a bit too negative at times, but it passes. I believe it can get a bit too positive at times, but it passes. It is almost auto-correcting.

Jeez, I missed this entire thread until now.

The conversation first started in a thread about another subject and was spun off here.

I don't know why the hell it was brought back up again. It's like 2 months old now. :wallbash:

Archived