Community Musings...

darksabre

Again, this is difficult to explain, but I ask for some deference to experience. It is impossible to protect "lightning rod posters". That requires someone to babysit 24/7 and there would be no one left here. No one relishes taking any action against any poster. We all just want to have everyone get along. But if you constantly piss people off, you know you piss people off, and you continue to piss people off - then you need to fend for yourself when some pushes back.

If one person needs constant protection from a wide variety of people, it ain't the wide variety of people with the problem. That should be easy to see.

I agree in full.

Not really sure what that means. Am I supposed to be looking for the dark clouds that are sure to come and miss out on all the sunny days in the meantime?

Well, maybe I misread your post, but you seemed frustrated and I'm just encouraging you to stick around. It'll be a little dead for most of the rest of the summer, but the game day threads are great during the season, as is much of the other discussion.

Again, this is difficult to explain, but I ask for some deference to experience. It is impossible to protect "lightning rod posters". That requires someone to babysit 24/7 and there would be no one left here. No one relishes taking any action against any poster. We all just want to have everyone get along. But if you constantly piss people off, you know you piss people off, and you continue to piss people off - then you need to fend for yourself when some pushes back.

If one person needs constant protection from a wide variety of people, it ain't the wide variety of people with the problem. That should be easy to see.

At the risk of raising ire, I'm calling bullsit here. GoDD did not start any personal attack today. He was being critical of the hockey team and some other poster decides to start levelling personal insults. And it is far from that posters first time around with that sort of activity. If GoDD was insinuating personal commentary against another poster your point would be valid, but his focus was directed at the team that is this site's subject matter. There is no call for another poster to start lobbing bombs. You don't like the criticism you either ignore or you defend your point of view. Non-productive personal commetary should never be tolerated. Now that you have tolerated it on one side you are now being accused of favoratism.

You run the risk of letting it get out of hand when you look the other way at personal insult. I'm telling you right now, that garbage comes my way I'm not looking the other way. And I'm using both barrels.

Well, maybe I misread your post, but you seemed frustrated and I'm just encouraging you to stick around. It'll be a little dead for most of the rest of the summer, but the game day threads are great during the season, as is much of the other discussion.

I'll be around.... I just hope the positive people start outnumbering the negative people.... it would be much more enjoyable.

At the risk of raising ire, I'm calling bullsit here. GoDD did not start any personal attack today. He was being critical of the hockey team and some other poster decides to start levelling personal insults. And it is far from that posters first time around with that sort of activity. If GoDD was insinuating personal commentary against another poster your point would be valid, but his focus was directed at the team that is this site's subject matter. There is no call for another poster to start lobbing bombs. You don't like the criticism you either ignore or you defend your point of view. Non-productive personal commetary should never be tolerated. Now that you have tolerated it on one side you are now being accused of favoratism.

You run the risk of letting it get out of hand when you look the other way at personal insult. I'm telling you right now, that garbage comes my way I'm not looking the other way. And I'm using both barrels.

Your momma's so fat, she broke her arm and gravy spilled out.

Dude, if you start to draw any ire it is because you have clearly not taken a moment to consider anything I've said. You're pretty much lecturing me on "how it's done." If I had a nickel for every lecture a poster has given me on "how it's done" I would have bought the Sabres myself.

Again, I've been at this for 13 years. Both of my boards are considered the best around. 3 MILLION posts have flowed through my servers. Maybe you could give some sort of acknowledgment that I'm not a noob at this.

BTW, posts like this get you signed up for moderator duty real quick, so be careful what you post... :thumbsup:

Dude, if you start to draw any ire it is because you have clearly not taken a moment to consider anything I've said. You're pretty much lecturing me on "how it's done." If I had a nickel for every lecture a poster has given me on "how it's done" I would have bought the Sabres myself.

Again, I've been at this for 13 years. Both of my boards are considered the best around. 3 MILLION posts have flowed through my servers. Maybe you could give some sort of acknowledgment that I'm not a noob at this.

My dander managed to get up over this subject matter. Not something that happens often with me. I suppose I am telling you how it should be done. I guess what I should be communicating is, not how I think it should be done but, that there is a percieved bias in how the rules are enforced by you. A couple of the "lightning rod posters" have taken a tremendous amount of abuse in the 10 months I've been here and they have rarely returned fire. They've managed to keep their coomentary on subject when they are being attacked. And they get rewarded for staying on subject by having you come on here periodically and very publicly (and very personally) going after them. I see that as dirty pool. Mostly because you weild the ban hammer and it seems that you might be baiting them a bit. But also because I have little doubt that if GoDD or DeLuca or the other "miscreants" :rolleyes: were to return fire when a poster goes after them that you'd be real quick on the trigger to rid yourself of an inconvenient member, if at least for a week. And that's favoritism.

BTW, posts like this get you signed up for moderator duty real quick, so be careful what you post... :thumbsup:

I'm not askeerd. :P

I guess I'm done with this line of conversation unless you ask for a reply. If you want to continue I'm willing to do it offline. I've said what I felt compelled to say.

It is a great site btw. You have a good core collection of knowledgeable posters. I don;t want to see part of that core removed because they were challenging. Challenging should be a positive in a discussion board IMO.

I'm guessing a lot of people on this board are tiring of the posts about what's right and wrong outside of hockey discussion is starting to sound like American politics. The moderators and administrators of this board give a ton of rope. To criticize they way they choose to run this board like some do the Sabres or how they do business is wrong. They have the choice to zip this board up if they choose. That's why they have the control they do. Posters who are not on administrators or moderators need to have a little more respect for those who provide this forum. It's fine to have opinions and feel like you can outposition other people's beliefs when it comes to hockey, but when it comes to how the board should be run, and why decisions are made the way they are, some may need to show a bit more humility. Backing off is tough to do when it's out of your character for you as a poster and debating everything is in your bones, but it is a classy move to understand where they're coming from and just leave it at that like the Drane post saying I agree fully. More of that can end needless personal aggrivation, and get the real interesting debates about who's got the best argument about the Sabres and hockey.

Your momma's so fat, Darcy would trade a 2nd rounder for her at the deadline then scratch her ass 2 weeks later.

Game Over. :lol: :lol: :lol:

While DeLuca is right that you've decisively won this contest, I believe I won our last wager, which is still outstanding. That makes me the money player in this situation, the Ville Leino if you will.

Since you've been promulgating the doom-and-gloom theories, care to construct a double-or-nothing bet involving next season and/or the production of the FNGs?

Let me add a few more comments about reality over theory....

Not all attacks are created equal. When multiple people attack Mark, DeLuca, GDD or whomever, THAT is the community giving feedback to that poster. It may be extreme feedback, but it is feedback. Normally, a person takes that feedback, assess the situation and makes adjustment. If my moderation policies were criticized by a broad spectrum of people day in and day out - I would re-assess what I was doing. However, some people don't re-assess, they just keep doing regardless of the feedback they receive. I can't help those people. They are on their own.

Insults also serve to alert moderators on potential issues. Although you think the person doing the insulting is always wrong, my viewpoint is that is not necessarily the case. If I see 20 people insult one person, I'm sure as heck not looking to see what is wrong with 20 people and looking to issue 20 warnings. I'm looking at the target and wondering what they did to illicit that response.

Let me add a few more comments about reality over theory....

Not all attacks are created equal. When multiple people attack Mark, DeLuca, GDD or whomever, THAT is the community giving feedback to that poster. It may be extreme feedback, but it is feedback. Normally, a person takes that feedback, assess the situation and makes adjustment. If my moderation policies were criticized by a broad spectrum of people day in and day out - I would re-assess what I was doing. However, some people don't re-assess, they just keep doing regardless of the feedback they receive. I can't help those people. They are on their own.

Insults also serve to alert moderators on potential issues. Although you think the person doing the insulting is always wrong, my viewpoint is that is not necessarily the case. If I see 20 people insult one person, I'm sure as heck not looking to see what is wrong with 20 people and looking to issue 20 warnings. I'm looking at the target and wondering what they did to illicit that response.

I hate to add fuel to this fire, but I will say that when we had our exchange about Briere and Vanek a few months ago, I felt that a number of your comments crossed the line into personal-attack land -- and I don't think mine did.

Archived