Community Musings...

darksabre

Can't we all just be happy that the Sabres are players for once and stop overanalyzing this signing? It's getting a little ridiculous in here.

Do you think this board would be half as active (and interesting) as it is if the free thinkers and malcontents decided to go elsewhere and all you were left with is a massive cirlce jerk? Sounds pretty dull to me. I'm thinking the mass euphoria is equally ridiculous. It's not like they've moved up in the standings yet. :thumbsup:

Besides, they are all well considered points. And it isn't like there is anything productive that is going to get done on July 1 so we might as well add some more hot air to the global warming crowd. :ph34r:

Do you think this board would be half as active (and interesting) as it is if the free thinkers and malcontents decided to go elsewhere and all you were left with is a massive cirlce jerk? Sounds pretty dull to me. I'm thinking the mass euphoria is equally ridiculous. It's not like they've moved up in the standings yet. :thumbsup:

Besides, they are all well considered points. And it isn't like there is anything productive that is going to get done on July 1 so we might as well add some more hot air to the global warming crowd. :ph34r:

Watching the usual suspects run around with their arms flailing once again, is not enjoyable at all... Calling Ville Leino the worse FA signing Darcy ever made hours after it is completed is just one more asinity thrown on top of 4 years of perpetual asinine remarks.

And to answer your 1st question, a poster can be analytical/critical w/o being a dick.

For whatever reason, you seem to like to group yourself with a certain crowd, yet I doubt anyone would put you in with them because you don't pile on for the sake of piling on. You don't talk in perpetual hyperbole.

Hypercritical people drives away two types of posters: happy-go-lucky fans and smart fans. Sure, it spices up the place in the short term... until the happy people are no longer happy reading about how bad their team sucks everyday and the smart people don't want to fight with the unreasonableness anymore. Then you're just left with people who hate themselves for one reason or another and who think a Stanley Cup t-shirt is going to lead them to happiness.

Watching the usual suspects run around with their arms flailing once again, is not enjoyable at all... Calling Ville Leino the worse FA signing Darcy ever made hours after it is completed is just one more asinity thrown on top of 4 years of perpetual asinine remarks.

And to answer your 1st question, a poster can be analytical/critical w/o being a dick.

For whatever reason, you seem to like to group yourself with a certain crowd, yet I doubt anyone would put you in with them because you don't pile on for the sake of piling on. You don't talk in perpetual hyperbole.

Hypercritical people drives away two types of posters: happy-go-lucky fans and smart fans. Sure, it spices up the place in the short term... until the happy people are no longer happy reading about how bad their team sucks everyday and the smart people don't want to fight with the unreasonableness anymore. Then you're just left with people who hate themselves for one reason or another and who think a Stanley Cup t-shirt is going to lead them to happiness.

That sounded way too smooth to be the 1st time you've used that post. You wouldn't by any chance happen to spend time at a certain Bills' fan board I've heard of, have you? ;)

Methinks you've got a personal vendetta against a poster or two. Noone has labeled anyone's posts in such a negative manner until just now. Even the folks here that have gone off the deep end euphoria-wise weren't getting labeled but you can't tell me that wasn't equally asinine and keep a straight face.

Where was the dickishness here. Until 10:36 I mean. <_<

I don't necessarily identify myself with, say DeLuca, but I sure can understand and appreciate his point of view. Maybe we could use some more open minds on this board because whether you agree with him or not, at least he has a logical progression to his thought process. More posters need to consider a logical thought process before putting finger to keyboard.

The same can be true of a hypersupportive group too. The times I sit back and stop contributing are when the Kool-aid gang get in here and overwhelm the board. And I will respectfully disagree with your not so subtle reference to the smart people being the non-dissenters.

I may be taking you wrong but I get a strong vibe that you want to pressure to suppress or censor the likes of DeLuca. One reason I come to his defence is because POV's like his are crutial to open discussion. You need both extremes to get the whole picture out. You may not like what he has to say but he improves the quality of the thoughts being exchanged here, he requires the others to more carefully think about there position.

I gotta agree with Weave. I haven't been back long, but all I see are two sides with legitimate arguments. Sure they're slanted, but everyone naturally is. I don't think there's any issue on the board.

Methinks you've got a personal vendetta against a poster or two. Noone has labeled anyone's posts in such a negative manner until just now. Even the folks here that have gone off the deep end euphoria-wise weren't getting labeled but you can't tell me that wasn't equally asinine and keep a straight face.

No vendetta at all. Keep in mind I'm trying to maintain a product here and I would like the product to be something that I can enjoy too. Communities can move in many directions, so if I can only go in one direction it only makes sense to cater to what I think is best, since I'm the one who has to pay the bills and make the train run on time. If I hate the place it will go neglected, as this is a labor of love, not a career. My preference is to have a high signal-to-noise, intelligent place to talk that features a lot of humor and a lot of information. IMHO, that attracts the type of people I like to talk to here or in a bar.

As for your complaint about the "euphoria", this is where you are wrong. This is a forum for Sabre fans, for really big fans beyond the casual. The nature of the beast is for them to irrationally cheer when good things happen. While I agree that much of yesterday's discussion lacked analytical depth for the most part, you can't seriously be suggesting that happiness and good feelings towards the team should looked upon with disdain. IMO, this is entertainment and if you don't enjoy it, for the love of God find something you do love because life is short.

But, I would agree that I wouldn't enjoy a community who only made Go Sabres! comments just as I dislike the constant Sabres suck comments. I just know that the latter, when taken to the extreme, drives the high value posters away, while the former doesn't. I know this because I have done this for 13 years and have seen 3,000,000 posts pass through my forums. I have had 100's of online, telephone, face-to-face discussions about my communities. For whatever opinion you may disagree with me on, I would hope you would acknowledge that as the community owner for here and the Bills site for so many years that I probably have accumulated a wealth of information about these places and the dynamics involved.

I don't necessarily identify myself with, say DeLuca, but I sure can understand and appreciate his point of view. Maybe we could use some more open minds on this board because whether you agree with him or not, at least he has a logical progression to his thought process. More posters need to consider a logical thought process before putting finger to keyboard.

No offense, but I have heard this line of reasoning a 1000 times and while you may think it is great in theory, it isn't great in practice. Demanding people to accept being perpetually aggravated when they visit a place of enjoyment is a losing proposition. They have choices and if every conversation is overrun by hypernegative, argumentive poster they'll leave or withdraw. Either way, all you are left with are the shin-kickers. This isn't a theory, this is what happens. I have talked with the best posters this place or TBD ever had and when they leave they say the same thing... "I couldn't stand XXX anymore. They took the enjoyment out of it." And while you may say good riddance, I don't.

The same can be true of a hypersupportive group too. The times I sit back and stop contributing are when the Kool-aid gang get in here and overwhelm the board. And I will respectfully disagree with your not so subtle reference to the smart people being the non-dissenters.

That is your issue to deal with. I can tell you this isn't typical behavior. And I NEVER implied the latter. The BEST posters here have dissented on countless issues over the years, but they do it in a way that doesn't make you want punch your computer and leave. For as much dissension as you claim to have, I've never had an issue with a single post you ever made. Much of my previous post was paying you a compliment, but I don't think you took it that way.

I may be taking you wrong but I get a strong vibe that you want to pressure to suppress or censor the likes of DeLuca. One reason I come to his defence is because POV's like his are crutial to open discussion. You need both extremes to get the whole picture out. You may not like what he has to say but he improves the quality of the thoughts being exchanged here, he requires the others to more carefully think about there position.

I would like others to appreciate who the audience is here and the purpose of the forum. The countless cheap shots about the new carpet and Hockey Heaven are prime examples of crossing the line from dissension/critical analysis to just being an ass. One poster actually criticized the row Pegula sat in when he watched a game right after assuming ownership. That type of criticism/commentary doesn't improve the quality of anything.

Anyhow, thanks for the response. I hope I cleared my position a little and you can at least understand my position.

No vendetta at all. Keep in mind I'm trying to maintain a product here and I would like the product to be something that I can enjoy too. Communities can move in many directions, so if I can only go in one direction it only makes sense to cater to what I think is best, since I'm the one who has to pay the bills and make the train run on time. If I hate the place it will go neglected, as this is a labor of love, not a career. My preference is to have a high signal-to-noise, intelligent place to talk that features a lot of humor and a lot of information. IMHO, that attracts the type of people I like to talk to here or in a bar.

As for your complaint about the "euphoria", this is where you are wrong. This is a forum for Sabre fans, for really big fans beyond the casual. The nature of the beast is for them to irrationally cheer when good things happen. While I agree that much of yesterday's discussion lacked analytical depth for the most part, you can't seriously be suggesting that happiness and good feelings towards the team should looked upon with disdain. IMO, this is entertainment and if you don't enjoy it, for the love of God find something you do love because life is short.

But, I would agree that I wouldn't enjoy a community who only made Go Sabres! comments just as I dislike the constant Sabres suck comments. I just know that the latter, when taken to the extreme, drives the high value posters away, while the former doesn't. I know this because I have done this for 13 years and have seen 3,000,000 posts pass through my forums. I have had 100's of online, telephone, face-to-face discussions about my communities. For whatever opinion you may disagree with me on, I would hope you would acknowledge that as the community owner for here and the Bills site for so many years that I probably have accumulated a wealth of information about these places and the dynamics involved.

No offense, but I have heard this line of reasoning a 1000 times and while you may think it is great in theory, it isn't great in practice. Demanding people to accept being perpetually aggravated when they visit a place of enjoyment is a losing proposition. They have choices and if every conversation is overrun by hypernegative, argumentive poster they'll leave or withdraw. Either way, all you are left with are the shin-kickers. This isn't a theory, this is what happens. I have talked with the best posters this place or TBD ever had and when they leave they say the same thing... "I couldn't stand XXX anymore. They took the enjoyment out of it." And while you may say good riddance, I don't.

That is your issue to deal with. I can tell you this isn't typical behavior. And I NEVER implied the latter. The BEST posters here have dissented on countless issues over the years, but they do it in a way that doesn't make you want punch your computer and leave. For as much dissension as you claim to have, I've never had an issue with a single post you ever made. Much of my previous post was paying you a compliment, but I don't think you took it that way.

I would like others to appreciate who the audience is here and the purpose of the forum. The countless cheap shots about the new carpet and Hockey Heaven are prime examples of crossing the line from dissension/critical analysis to just being an ass. One poster actually criticized the row Pegula sat in when he watched a game right after assuming ownership. That type of criticism/commentary doesn't improve the quality of anything.

Anyhow, thanks for the response. I hope I cleared my position a little and you can at least understand my position.

SDS this is certainly not my battle to fight but I'd like to point out that you have created a blocking capability. Wouldn't this assist people in the forum that feel they are getting 'beaten down' from incessant negative posting?

I would hate for either side of the spectrum to go away. Personally, I live off debating either side, but that's the centrist in me. My experience is that the most negative in any debate are often more knowledgeable than the sunshine and roses crew. Unfortunately they usually have an agenda as well, but that's what makes it fun. But both serve a purpose to this site and I think your product is perfect 'as is.'

Cheap shots about Carpet and Hockey Heaven???

What more arrogant action can you take than to claim and repeat dozens of times that Buffalo will be/is, Hockey Heaven....after the cluster#### we have seen over the last decade...then deciding to keep 98% of the exact same decision makers on board?

And how ironic is it to see the team get their panties in a bunch when a 150lb, 50yo hockey writer steps on a sacred logo which covers 60% of the floor...when these exact same players have failed to step up for each other time and time again over the years?

These aren't cheap shots.....these are commentaries on life. It takes a lot of balls to call this place Hockey Heaven....and no balls to try and intimidate Jerry Sullivan when you can't get the job done on the ice.

If you want this place to run off of a Jimmy Carter elementary school grading system where there are no grades and just gold stars all around so we don't hurt little Suzie's feelings....then it's your website. You already bounced one of the top posters ever here, during the playoffs. Claiming he left is just like blaming Drury for not resigning with the Sabres after the season. I saw him take 20x as many personal attacks as he would even think of laying out in self defense.

Don't worry....as good as Pegula is for the team and long term chances of the Sabres, you will probably have much more board traffic now, and concentrated posts with oomph will get diluted by the mass influx new posters. Not to say there won't be plenty of good posts and valid points.....just expect to see plenty more "All About" thread titles.

Don't be so negative Scott....you averaged 400+ posters the past week. Things are lookin up for everyone. :)

SDS this is certainly not my battle to fight but I'd like to point out that you have created a blocking capability. Wouldn't this assist people in the forum that feel they are getting 'beaten down' from incessant negative posting?

I would hate for either side of the spectrum to go away. Personally, I live off debating either side, but that's the centrist in me. My experience is that the most negative in any debate are often more knowledgeable than the sunshine and roses crew. Unfortunately they usually have an agenda as well, but that's what makes it fun. But both serve a purpose to this site and I think your product is perfect 'as is.'

We see eye-to-eye on this. Dissenting opinion IS what drives discussion, and this is a discussion board. Every discussion board I have ever been a member of has personalities on the extreme. Boards without strong opinions and strong personalities are boards that whither and die. They are not interesting enough to retain member attention. Posters at the margins with passionately held opinions are not appreciated by everyone but the simple truth is, they drive the conversation. They spur posts. They challenge posters. And that is a good thing. This is supposed to be a medium for free exchange of thoughts and ideas, right?

The problem isn't with frequency or or negativity. The problem is with a lack of desire to be frequently challenged. I can understand and appreciate this, but unless the poster is getting personal then I think the problem is not with the poster, it is with the individual who gets upset.

This would make a good off topic conversation because I think it does need to be hashed out.

What more arrogant action can you take than to claim and repeat dozens of times that Buffalo will be/is, Hockey Heaven....after the cluster#### we have seen over the last decade...then deciding to keep 98% of the exact same decision makers on board?

It's becoming obvious that nothing will make you feel like the Sabres are better. Even winning a cup might not be enough.

You have to be in a coma not to see the difference in the new regime. Yes Lindy and Darcy are still here, and we all have been told ad nauseum how they are the entire problem with the franchise blah blah blah. But Darcy has already shown that he is fully capable of making deals once the handcuffs were removed. We'll have to see if Lindy can coach 'em to the next level but I think he can.

As for the "hockey heaven" and new carpet that is all part of developing a positive and winning attitude...a concept you and your fellow miscreants are totally oblivious to. You all seem to think improvement comes from always expecting the worst.

PTR

And how ironic is it to see the team get their panties in a bunch when a 150lb, 50yo hockey writer steps on a sacred logo which covers 60% of the floor...when these exact same players have failed to step up for each other time and time again over the years?

These aren't cheap shots.....these are commentaries on life. It takes a lot of balls to call this place Hockey Heaven....and no balls to try and intimidate Jerry Sullivan when you can't get the job done on the ice.

If you want this place to run off of a Jimmy Carter elementary school grading system where there are no grades and just gold stars all around so we don't hurt little Suzie's feelings....then it's your website. You already bounced one of the top posters ever here, during the playoffs. Claiming he left is just like blaming Drury for not resigning with the Sabres after the season. I saw him take 20x as many personal attacks as he would even think of laying out in self defense.

Don't worry....as good as Pegula is for the team and long term chances of the Sabres, you will probably have much more board traffic now, and concentrated posts with oomph will get diluted by the mass influx new posters. Not to say there won't be plenty of good posts and valid points.....just expect to see plenty more "All About" thread titles.

Don't be so negative Scott....you averaged 400+ posters the past week. Things are lookin up for everyone. :)

Wow. Over-reaction squared. It's obvious not many of you run websites and/or forums. Scott is pretty much dead-on with what he said and it's clear some of you have no concept of what it is he is talking about. But, philosophies, experiences, objectives and strategies aside - it is his site, his money and time, and his vision. IMHO, there is no better Sabres forum than this one, and the tone and tenor starts from the top down - whether you believe that or not.

If you don't agree with Scott's creed for the site, go try and impose your will on another one. You'll come back here, eventually, because this one is the highest quality.

Sorry to sound like a cheerleader, but some of you are acting like children not being allowed to have a few extra cookies before bed, and I thought the opposite view needed to be heard from someone other than Scott.

And this really shouldn't be the thread for this crap anyway.

It's becoming obvious that nothing will make you feel like the Sabres are better. Even winning a cup might not be enough.

You have to be in a coma not to see the difference in the new regime. Yes Lindy and Darcy are still here, and we all have been told ad nauseum how they are the entire problem with the franchise blah blah blah. But Darcy has already shown that he is fully capable of making deals once the handcuffs were removed. We'll have to see if Lindy can coach 'em to the next level but I think he can.

As for the "hockey heaven" and new carpet that is all part of developing a positive and winning attitude...a concept you and your fellow miscreants are totally oblivious to. You all seem to think improvement comes from always expecting the worst.

PTR

I usually don't respond to your posts, because I am of the school of "God forgive him for he knows not what he does." But you obviously haven't read one thing I've posted over the last week.

PTR

LOL

You are calling GoDD and his ilk a miscreant?

Are you suggesting he's a heretic that doesn't believe the religion or is it more of a personal attack? Just wondering.

PTR

I've been wanting to say something similar to this but couldn't find the right words..... you did though.

Go over to the Boston Bruins ESPN message boards and sift through their messages leading RIGHT UP UNTIL the Cup .... They were crying to get rid of their coach, get rid of players all the way up until the end every time the puck didn't bounce their way....

Now I see the same mentality here..... it seems like some people will never be pleased.

I personally LOVE the acquisitions we have made so far and am enjoying the hell out of this ride we are on even though I find myself reacting the overt pessimism.

As for “As for the "hockey heaven" and new carpet that is all part of developing a positive and winning attitude..." it ALSO creates a winning atmosphere which seems to go over some heads. It's not JUST about getting the right people. it's about getting the right mood for whoever you got here.

GO SABRES….. can’t wait for the season to start.

Wow. Over-reaction squared. It's obvious not many of you run websites and/or forums. Scott is pretty much dead-on with what he said and it's clear some of you have no concept of what it is he is talking about. But, philosophies, experiences, objectives and strategies aside - it is his site, his money and time, and his vision. IMHO, there is no better Sabres forum than this one, and the tone and tenor starts from the top down - whether you believe that or not.

If you don't agree with Scott's creed for the site, go try and impose your will on another one. You'll come back here, eventually, because this one is the highest quality.

Sorry to sound like a cheerleader, but some of you are acting like children not being allowed to have a few extra cookies before bed, and I thought the opposite view needed to be heard from someone other than Scott.

And this really shouldn't be the thread for this crap anyway.

I do think this is the best website out there. I have no experience running a website, and no ability to do so.

Considering the owner of the website started the conversation, the crap is in this thread.

This is a very good post. I could probably make a list of which posters would agree with it and which ones wouldn't. So far we're right on track.

And you are dead on about the personal attacks on PA.

I've been wanting to say something similar to this but couldn't find the right words..... you did though.

Go over to the Boston Bruins ESPN message boards and sift through their messages leading RIGHT UP UNTIL the Cup .... They were crying to get rid of their coach, get rid of players all the way up until the end every time the puck didn't bounce their way....

Now I see the same mentality here..... it seems like some people will never be pleased.

I personally LOVE the acquisitions we have made so far and am enjoying the hell out of this ride we are on even though I find myself reacting the overt pessimism.

As for “As for the "hockey heaven" and new carpet that is all part of developing a positive and winning attitude..." it ALSO creates a winning atmosphere which seems to go over some heads. It's not JUST about getting the right people. it's about getting the right mood for whoever you got here.

GO SABRES….. can’t wait for the season to start.

The cynic in me makes me hesitate for a moment and think this could be PA.

You are a gift to the conversation.

I don't blame you. I just signed up because I was pumped about what the Sabres have been doing and wanted to get into some conversations about that, but I found myself being sucked into the black hole of pessimism that seems to still exist from previous regimes.

As for Ville, I think he is a GREAT acquisition.... I'm glad we got him at any price.

Please hang around for a little while.

You already bounced one of the top posters ever here, during the playoffs. Claiming he left is just like blaming Drury for not resigning with the Sabres after the season. I saw him take 20x as many personal attacks as he would even think of laying out in self defense.

And you are dead on about the personal attacks on PA.

Let's be very clear here. Mark told me to shut the ###### up in public. I turned the other cheek. However, my non-response was his signal to up the ante where he then proceeded to tell me to leave "us" (meaning the community) the ###### alone. That's two f-bombs for those who care, both telling ME that my input was unwelcome here.

I had a choice at that point - concede control to Mark and give him the green light to continue to talk to me in public in any way he wished or respond. I responded with a 1-week vacation. He took his ball and went home. So be it. He's welcome to come back.

If he maintains he was right to talk to me that way in public -- twice, then you have to allow me to respond in the way I did. If he did it in private no one would ever know those convos took place. Now, it would be nice to show a little consistency here GDD. You can't say both Darcy and I are wrong.

The personal attacks Mark took were brought on by himself.

Let's be very clear here. Mark told me to shut the ###### up in public. I turned the other cheek. However, my non-response was his signal to up the ante where he then proceeded to tell me to leave "us" (meaning the community) the ###### alone. That's two f-bombs for those who care, both telling ME that my input was unwelcome here.

I had a choice at that point - concede control to Mark and give him the green light to continue to talk to me in public in any way he wished or respond. I responded with a 1-week vacation. He took his ball and went home. So be it. He's welcome to come back.

If he maintains he was right to talk to me that way in public -- twice, then you have to allow me to respond in the way I did. If he did it in private no one would ever know those convos took place. Now, it would be nice to show a little consistency here GDD. You can't both Darcy and I are wrong.

I missed that whole exchange. I have no problem with your actions and would expect the same if it happens again.

As far as poster on poster violence, though, there were way more attacks on PA than he ever gave out,.. by a lot. Just sayin'.

I missed that whole exchange. I have no problem with your actions and would expect the same if it happens again.

As far as poster on poster violence, though, there were way more attacks on PA than he ever gave out,.. by a lot. Just sayin'.

Unless you think the posters here are inherently mean, then there is a reason for that. Mark admitted many times that he relished the "contrarian" role and posted stuff to "stir the pot". That is why he was left to fend for himself.

The one week vacation was necessary, but to be honest - 95/100 posters wouldn't have gotten one week, I would have banned them for good because I don't have time for that stuff. The one week was in deference to his positive contributions here. He might not see it that way, but I would like to know how many communities would allow two exchanges like that and welcome the person back the next week?

If he maintains he was right to talk to me that way in public -- twice, then you have to allow me to respond in the way I did. If he did it in private no one would ever know those convos took place. Now, it would be nice to show a little consistency here GDD. You can't say both Darcy and I are wrong.

I didn't see it unfold. I am not even saying you are wrong. It is just the combination of doing it during the playoffs and when it was aimed at yourself. I've been told to F-off as recently as 2 weeks ago. Where was the ban-hammer? :nana:

Is this place better without him? I don't think so. Some people may.

If that exchange went down as you say then you were correct in your actions. But I take issue with the sentence I quote above. I do not ever recall PA personally attacking another poster (you excluded obviously). If PA wasn't attacking other posters than he most definitely did NOT bring on attacks against him. Personal attacks should NEVER be tolerated.

This.

Hell, we have a personal attack on the previous page. Why no sanction here? As mentioned, if it goes unchallenged it becomes a green light for further attacks. I certainly hope it isn't becsuse the personal callout was issued to a "non believer".

If that exchange went down as you say then you were correct in your actions. But I take issue with the sentence I quote above. I do not ever recall PA personally attacking another poster (you excluded obviously). If PA wasn't attacking other posters than he most definitely did NOT bring on attacks against him. Personal attacks should NEVER be tolerated.

This.

Hell, we have a personal attack on this very page. Why no sanction here? As mentioned, if it goes unchallenged it becomes a green light for further attacks. I certainly hope it isn't becsuse the personal callout was issued to a "non believer".

Again, this is difficult to explain, but I ask for some deference to experience. It is impossible to protect "lightning rod posters". That requires someone to babysit 24/7 and there would be no one left here. No one relishes taking any action against any poster. We all just want to have everyone get along. But if you constantly piss people off, you know you piss people off, and you continue to piss people off - then you need to fend for yourself when some pushes back.

If one person needs constant protection from a wide variety of people, it ain't the wide variety of people with the problem. That should be easy to see.

Archived