Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

I am VERY excited about Team USA's game this afternoon. I'll admit I'm nervous. Having a Buffalo team or a US team fall short by the slimmest margins is becoming tough to handle. I know this is a biased opinion, but I believe Buffalo fans have had it the most difficult out of all sports fans across the nation. There are three things I want to see in my life time. (I was born less than a year after Team USA took gold in 1980) One, the Sabres winning the Stanley Cup. Two, Team USA taking Gold in Olympic hockey. And three, the Buffalo Bills winning the Superbowl. This is the order of what I want the most. I am hoping for a Team USA/Canada matchup. There'd be a good chance of that game being the most watched in the history of hockey.

As a side note, how come the USA/Findland game could not have been scheduled at a later time? Most people will be at work at 3! 5:30 would've been a great time to have the game. And the Canadian game would've still been played at a decent hour.

If you are transfixed by the Olympic hockey tournaments are in the NYC area and need to see some live hockey or just enjoy competitive hockey stop on over. For more information visit the Fischer Williams Photo Blog or go to www.danburyice.com, 1 Independence Way, Danbury, CT 06810, 203-794-1704.

Come join Fischer Williams Photographic Studios at the Danbury Ice Arena this Saturday for some great division II ACHA hockey. The ACHA Division II Hockey Regionals begin at 3pm with quarterfinal on Saturday – Siena v. Montclair State, followed by Central Connecticut State v. Bryant at 4pm and continuing on with games between Marist v. UMass and New Hampshire v. University of Connecticut. On Sunday the semi-finals are scheduled to begin at 4pm.

GREAT Show at the end of the game CANUCKS!!!!!! The only thing missing was the Stripper pole..LOL...Way to represent..Freakin hilarious..
It's under investigation

stay classy, ladies. stay classy.

the principal beneficiary of this might be mike "eurotrash" milbury. on that point, i haven't heard anything about additional fall-out, but i sort of hope there isn't any. not that i have any love at all for milbury -- it's just that i get tired of all the gotcha-PC stuff that goes on. and with respect to the term being xenophobic, it was not insignificant to me that milbury called out the russians for bringing a eurotrash game, and did not say that they were playing like eurotrash. while it's a bit of a stretch, that calls to mind the fact that it's generally considered unacceptable to use the term "oriental" in reference to people, but it's okay to use it to describe things or objects such as food or rugs.

This quote really jumped out at me and says it all:

"When you give your whole life to something and you come up short, as a team, it's just awful. It's a little different than playing on the men's side. You really give your life to it. You make lots of sacrifices to win the gold medal." --Angela Ruggiero of the U.S. team.

I hope the NHL's co-opting of the Olympics ends right here.

"When you give your whole life to something and you come up short, as a team, it's just awful. It's a little different than playing on the men's side. You really give your life to it. You make lots of sacrifices to win the gold medal." --Angela Ruggiero of the U.S. team.

She has at least one gold medal though, doesn't she? You really have to wonder about back in the amateur days when they really did only have one shot at it though.

Very poor sportsmanship by the Canadian women. After these games, the IOC was already planning on having discussions and pulling womens hockey off the olympic circuit. After these Canadian women embarrassed the IOC, i think they nailed the final nail in the coffin. Some Canadian reporter said something like "who cares, they're gold medal winners, they will just get a slap on the wrist".... i guess, but, what are these women without Olympic hockey? I doubt many of them would still play hockey.

When i won a softball championship with my team two summers ago, we partied like crazy too. We had beer on the bench. We went to the bar and everyone got smashed. We celebrated like we were kids, threw our gloves in the air and all that BS.... difference is, we were not in the olympics. These girls could have partied, smoked and gotten really drunk, ALMOST ANYWHERE in Canada and it was have been legal, even for the 17 year old teammate.... but they picked the ONE wrong spot. That doesn't make it ok. They deserve to win, they deserve to party but, hope they plan some good vacation spot in the winter of 2014 because their not going to Russia. Their sport is as good as dead.... enjoy your 15-seconds of fame, ladies.

If you can't celebrate in your own barn for a once in 4 year event after beating your arch rival and knowing that is probably the last game you will ever play in under those conditions......I don't know when you can celebrate.

What's more dangerous....a few broads sharing a bottle, or an IOC that endorses sports where people fly down embankments on ice at speeds far beyond natural human control?.....which pretty much describes 70% of the olympics. Not to mention the flamer parade in figure skating. "You can't put that bottle to your mouth!....you're only 17. Here's a sausage instead!"

What do you expect from chicks with sticks? :rolleyes:

I'm okay with the bubbly; the beers was a bit of a stretch. But smoking in a nonsmoking venue is breaking the law in front of everyone to see. It also sends the wrong message to kids that drinking and smoking is okay. Those cigars didn't just show up, so it was premediated. Agreed it is a slap on the wrist, but something should be done within the bylaws of the IOC.

The Canadian goalie played a fantastic game. That was the first and last womens hockey game I will watch. It was like watching the peewees.

What's more dangerous....a few broads sharing a bottle, or an IOC that endorses sports where people fly down embankments on ice at speeds far beyond natural human control?.....which pretty much describes 70% of the olympics. Not to mention the flamer parade in figure skating. "You can't put that bottle to your mouth!....you're only 17. Here's a sausage instead!"

FTW.

If you can't celebrate in your own barn for a once in 4 year event after beating your arch rival and knowing that is probably the last game you will ever play in under those conditions......I don't know when you can celebrate.

What's wrong with you? Just kidding. No, seriously. What's wrong with you?

NTYMI, You nailed it. That is the biggest difference of what I think the Olympics used to represent vs. today.

It used to be more of any citizen or ordinary Joe stepping up at something he loved, worked hard at not as a job but as a passion/hobby or sport to be good at. Go to the try out's, make the team and live out your dream. The true stories of EPIC struggles, impossible odds and accomplished dreams. "The thrill of victory and agony of defeat" does really capture that thought.

One step forward...

...two steps back.

Archived