Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

What was the deal with the goal horn constantly going off during stoppages in play?

my 7 year-old daughter (who's just starting to pay attention to televised sports) asked the same question. i sensed that they were trying to correct this toward the end of the game.

Play of the game - Kane backchecking like crazy on Crosby's breakaway

he was the best u.s. skater.

That was just an awesome game. Well done Canada.

only one way it could have been any better -- but, yeah -- amazing.

#%^$#! Crosby. ... Anybody but him.

i feel the same way.

Hopefully he will be too busy shining his Stanley Cup rings. :thumbsup:

Hopefully he'll be playing NHL games. I've heard rumblings about the NHL not wanting to participate again. The compressed schedule, shutting down your league for two and a half weeks -- dumb, even by NHL standards.

That was just an awesome game. Well done Canada.

+1 , Thank you Canada, I loved the show. I also didn't know Vancover was such a cool place. I would love to make that a vacation some day. I watched a lot more of this olympics than any other's and Vancover and their citizen's did a great job hosting the event. Highly probable the racous/rude fans were mostly imports from the other provinces making it a party road trip which can get a little crazy.

#%^$#! Crosby. I'm sick of his charmed life. I'm sick of hearing about him. I'm sick of seeing him. Anybody but him.

THIS. Tell me about it. I see way too much here in enemy territory what I call Crosbyberg. Between the fans here and the 'Face of NHL' BS the idol worship is :sick:. The local radio station did do a nice spoof over the weekend with a Mario imposter who called in from the games. He was their for Sid not for Canada. Went along these lines.

MARIO: Yeah i'm totally here for Sid not the olympics.

He's used to waking up in the morning in my house;

so if he wakes up and can't smell me he gets all weird;

I let him keep one of my sweaters under his pillow but

he still needs to feel my presence around,

On road trips I let Joey(trainer) take and wear my used cloths;

I don't ask Joey for them back though ya know, can't get the stains out,,,

my 7 year-old daughter (who's just starting to pay attention to televised sports) asked the same question. i sensed that they were trying to correct this toward the end of the game

Great, a 7 year old thinks just like I do.

Hopefully he'll be playing NHL games. I've heard rumblings about the NHL not wanting to participate again. The compressed schedule, shutting down your league for two and a half weeks -- dumb, even by NHL standards.

It makes sense if the NHL actually gains something from it. But since NBC, their own broadcast partner wouldn't even air any of the prime time games, they gained almost nothing. And that is with very friendly starting times for these games. With all the tape delaying that will go on with the Russian games in 4 years, the NHL gets an even bigger shaft if they shut down again. It's over. The NHL won't be a part of those games. Players like Ovechkin can whine all they want and say that they'll be there no matter what, but he's under contract and it's not his call to make.

We're probably going to see a nice new turn to this NHL-KHL fight in the next 4 years, with a lot of players bailing to that league so they can play in the 2014 Olympics. I really have to wonder if the NHL sees this as a bad thing though. I can't shake the feeling that they wouldn't mind de-europeanizing (just for today, it's a word) the game a bit and making it more friendly to the american fans.

I can't shake the feeling that they wouldn't mind de-europeanizing (just for today, it's a word) the game a bit and making it more friendly to the american fans.

I could see these talks happening behind the scenes. Don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but DR and the Sabres have not drafted a single Euro(22 picks) in the last three drafts. Is this a direct result of first round Euro busts...Persson, Zagrapan & Kriukov? Inquiring minds want to know? :rolleyes:

I could see these talks happening behind the scenes. Don't know if it is a coincidence or not, but DR and the Sabres have not drafted a single Euro(22 picks) in the last three drafts. Is this a direct result of first round Euro busts...Persson, Zagrapan & Kriukov? Inquiring minds want to know? :rolleyes:

I think it's much more about the questionable state of the transfer agreements than anythign else. Yeah, there are euros like Zags already playing in North America, but the vast majority aren't. And the idea of avoiding them thanks to a few bad picks seems very flawed to me. Let's not forget that other euro we drafted in that same time period, Thomas Vanek. Again, another euro already in north america, but the point still stands.

I think also the Sabres are looking for players who have a bit more edge to their game which generally has been the Canadian and American players. Also in terms of fan interest I think they have decided to focus on players that the fans are able to relate to easier.

I think it's much more about the questionable state of the transfer agreements than anythign else. Yeah, there are euros like Zags already playing in North America, but the vast majority aren't. And the idea of avoiding them thanks to a few bad picks seems very flawed to me. Let's not forget that other euro we drafted in that same time period, Thomas Vanek. Again, another euro already in north america, but the point still stands.

Like I said, maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it's not.

Archived