Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

No doubt it was funny, but a potential career killer! Just ask Kornheiser and Jimmy the Greek!

Please, please, please let this happen. I can't stand Milbury. He's an unfunny d-bag who has zero credibility after the way he mangled the Islanders' roster.

He traded away a quarter of the guys playing in these olympics!

Probably true. And at least half the guys he got in return are not, either by being busts (Yashin) or injured (DiPietro).

BGTW, how fast is the WIki community? An addition to his bio:

He was employed by NBC to serve as a hockey analyst during the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, during which he caused some controversy by referring to the Russian team as the racist phrase "Euro-Trash".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Milbury#Television_work

Well that Canada Russia game might have been the biggest let down of a sporting event I have ever witnessed. I was REALLY thinking this could be the match of the century and it turned into a total dud. Never Have I built up an event so much only to be totally wrong about it. Oh well, time to direct that emotion towards the US again and start a little happy hour at 3pm on Friday.

I don't know, I thought Canada held up their end of the bargain. This team was fortunate to lose against the U.S. It gave them an extra opportunity to get more familiar with each other and they clearly fired on all cylinders against the Russians.

It's gonna get interesting now. Canada found their scoring touch tonight, their defense was getting up in the offense and their goaltending is better now too.

Sekera jumps into the play right after a PP goal by Gaborik and takes a nice pass from Zednik to give Slovakia a quick 2-0 lead.

Yeah, crazy.... Lundqvist doesn't allow a goal in 175 minutes then allows 2 really quick ones.

Sekera has had a great tournament for the Slovaks.

Probably true. And at least half the guys he got in return are not, either by being busts (Yashin) or injured (DiPietro).

BGTW, how fast is the WIki community? An addition to his bio:

He was employed by NBC to serve as a hockey analyst during the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, during which he caused some controversy by referring to the Russian team as the racist phrase "Euro-Trash".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Milbury#Television_work

Wiki is awesome, but "Euro-trash" isn't racist. Xenophobic, yes, but not racist.

Sekera jumps into the play right after a PP goal by Gaborik and takes a nice pass from Zednik to give Slovakia a quick 2-0 lead.

Sekera - he's good enough to be on the ice at the end of a 4-3 game against Sweden, but not good enough to make the top 6 defensemen of a team with obvious defensive deficiencies.

Amazing day. The odds of the Canadians snagging gold has gone up significantly. After demolishing Germany and Russia, Sweden falls before they even have to play them. So now their path to gold is Slovakia and the winner US vs Finland.

If you're Finland, you have got to believe this is your year too..

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Womens Gold Us-Canada Thursday 7:30 EST

Us vs. Finland 3pm EST Friday

Can vs. Slovakia 9;30 EST Friday

Mens Bronze game Saturday 10pm?

Mens Gold game Sunday 3:15 EST

master hockey schedule

It almost over now, but it has been a pain finding a resourceful site for schedules. Every site is littered with crap.

So... Does Miller have to win the gold for Buffalo to win the SC?

I say yes..

Every big name player has ultimately brought his game to elite level and learned to win. With two games left, against formidable competition, this is his time to earn his name. People talk like he is elite, time to show the world he is.

If he beats Finland and Canada again, I'm thinking Buffalo has a legit chance to take it all this year. Can he possibly beat the Canadians a second time after he admitted they were the toughest game of his career?

This is his transcendental moment....

I've got that 1980's feeling... can't help myself..

The only difference is the big bad Russians of 1980 are the big bad Canadians of 2010..

That was the most selfless game I've seen in some time. Americans sacrificing their bodies on seemingly every shot.

QFT

#%^$#! off, Duds! Just kidding. Thanks for the acknowledgment!

Not to worry, at ease Sarge this was not just intended for you although your recent post did remind me to be mindful of my fan club. I'm all about whatever I can do to help float your boat, be a lighting rod for your angst against whatever pit falls may have befallen you on a given day. ;)

Despite former Sabres, this is an out-and-out embarrassment right now. Wow.

My sentiments about the game exactly.

I fear the US has awakened a sleeping giant.....

Holy cow, 7-2 so far.

Note; it was the first game Babcock kept the same line combinations in place for a second game in a row and they clicked like a 45 colt revolver hammer on a dead silent night.

I don't know, I thought Canada held up their end of the bargain. This team was fortunate to lose against the U.S. It gave them an extra opportunity to get more familiar with each other and they clearly fired on all cylinders against the Russians.

It's gonna get interesting now. Canada found their scoring touch tonight, their defense was getting up in the offense and their goaltending is better now too.

THIS

Amazing day. The odds of the Canadians snagging gold has gone up significantly. After demolishing Germany and Russia, Sweden falls before they even have to play them. So now their path to gold is Slovakia and the winner US vs Finland.

If you're Finland, you have got to believe this is your year too..

Good post. For me Finland is no gimmee either, hell we have have to face Rutuu squared (Jarko and Temmo) and I just dispise Jarko, I expect to see him take the job of running Miller.

The competition has been getting better for the US team as the rounds have progressed. I want badly for us us take this next game but I'm still waiting for our supposed scorers to show up. This could be another 1-0 or 2-1 game.

Does the SO still apply to these semi final games ? I would sure hate to see us have to go that route.

I would really like to see us make the Canada US rematch, anything can happen even us getting lit up like the Russians however from my perspective a Silver medal for the US would not be an embarassment , I know the same would not be true for that Canadian team and just that potential alone would have me pumped for that Final. Yes I agree Gold is first choice and could very well propel the Sabres team far into the SC finals.

USA, USA, USA, Now the womens team tonight can really ramp up the Canadian angst with a Gold medal win against the Canadian women, really build that Canadian love I'm feeling for our USA mens team already.

I can only imagine what the mens final Sunday might be like with a USA-Canada rematch. Bring it on you hoser's

If there's a US-Canada rematch for gold, I can only imagine how popular that game will be up north. I heard the preliminary game was the most watched sporting event in Canadian history. Something like 2/3 of their population watched at least some of the game. I wish the US had something even remotely close to that kind of passion for the game.

If there's a US-Canada rematch for gold, I can only imagine how popular that game will be up north. I heard the preliminary game was the most watched sporting event in Canadian history. Something like 2/3 of their population watched at least some of the game. I wish the US had something even remotely close to that kind of passion for the game.

Why do you think our country's passion for the Olympic hockey declined after 1980?

Why do you think our country's passion for the Olympic hockey declined after 1980?

Same reason the James Bond movies haven't been as good since the Wall fell.

But it's not like our country ever really had that much passion for Olympic hockey, anyway.

One advantage the Americans have being the number 1 seed is the right to change last. It seems to me, at least while I was paying attention last night, that the Russians didn't really try to match lines.

The Canadians have Crosby, Nash and Ignlia on a roll.

If the Americans get past Finland, whom do you match up against the CNI line?

One advantage the Americans have being the number 1 seed is the right to change last. It seems to me, at least while I was paying attention last night, that the Russians didn't really try to match lines.

The Canadians have Crosby, Nash and Ignlia on a roll.

If the Americans get past Finland, whom do you match up against the CNI line?

Corey Stillman needs to immediately be named to the Canadian team and replace Iginla, just so they can have a 'Crosby, Stills, and Nash' line.

Was surprised to see the US women's team tighten up the way they did...they really played sloppy hockey. Poor passes all over the ice, couldn't get near the net most of the time, and couldn't get a lot of shots through on the PP.

Archived