Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

Team USA and all you Americans should be proud of the team. They played us close, beat us once, and Miller was the MVP.

Just have to be satisfied with the silver lining. I'm a proud Canadian Sabres fan who feels on cloud 9 right now. I feel bad for Miller, happy for Lindy and wish you all didn't have to feel disappointment since we all have a similar rooting interest for our club. Thanks to all those who had kind comments towards Canada and Canadians during these two weeks. Cheers.

yeah that was a stinker from Ryan.

But, you know, Rafalski was the real stinker...he let Cindy go at the boards and walk right in on Miller.

Rafalski was also involved in the turnover that led to Toews' goal.

And it was not a particularly bad goal. He made an aggressive play on the puck and Crosby just beat him. If you think that was a "soft goal," you are just wrong.

Bingo. Crosby snapped it off quick before Miller expected it. Could Miller have stopped it? Probably. But it was Crosby, who has had his number, and it was one of those plays that 4-on-4 hockey creates - quick turnover and quick shot catches the goalie leaning or not set.

Dave, if that's a Sabres game, I'm pissed. That is not a good goal. Seriously, that is not a good goal. Period. Miller was awesome but I'm glad he let that one in. I just know from his past, he's got serious mental focus and he's had lapses before. I hope he can shake this off because I want the Sabres in the playoffs. And I know he can carry them all the way if they get in.

Whatever, you are overthinking. You could be pissed all you want, but that was a great shot by Crosby. You, however, know it was some "lapse" by Miller? Could he have stopped it, sure? Was it not a soft goal, no. Enjoy your win, but let's just say you squeaked out an OT win in one game with Canada's best player FINALLY helping out, OK?

Rafalski was also involved in the turnover that led to Toews' goal.

Bingo. Crosby snapped it off quick before Miller expected it. Could Miller have stopped it? Probably. But it was Crosby, who has had his number, and it was one of those plays that 4-on-4 hockey creates - quick turnover and quick shot catches the goalie leaning or not set.

Ah, someone who has played/watched a few games. I expect a better understanding of the game from Canadians, but I guess not.

It hurts to see it, but there's a lot to like: USA wasn't picked by anyone to do anything, let alone win their pool or make the Gold Medal game; Miller was phenomenal throughout the tourney; and there are a lot of good young players on Team USA, so the future looks good for Team USA. As much as I hate to say it, there's no shame in losing to the world's best hockey program. Oh, and the game didn't go to a frigging shootout.

If you had asked me two weeks ago to handicap the odds of the USA getting any medal, I would have been at 50:1. Nice job with the silver. Still, like any American, I'm disappointed.

Congrats to Canada. I'm totally disappointed and depressed. I honestly would rather not even be in the medal part of the tournament than get Silver, but oh well. Miller, as it goes without saying, was again fantastic throughout the entire tournament. I'm glad we have him on our team. I'm pretty sure he'll rebound from this and he'll be back to playing the way he's played this Olympic tournament and for much of this year. By the way, for those who are critics of Miller on this board, I think we saw just how great he is when he has all-star talent around him. Which means, what he's been able to accomplish thus far this year with the team in front of him is nothing short of a miracle. I firmly believe we have the best goalie in the NHL this year. He may not make the spectacular saves of Hasek, but he's the best right now in the NHL.

At the end of the day, the goal by Crosby, who I am beginning to hate more and more as every year passes, was a great quick shot by Crosby that really is the fault of Rafalski for not getting back into the play and preventing the centering pass to Crosby from Iginla. I really don't think you can put that goal on Miller. Rafalski needs to be making a smarter play 4-on-4 with Crosby out there and needs to get back into the play to take Crosby and prevent the centering pass. Miller could have and should have made the save, but Rafalski needs to prevent the pass from happening anyway. Clearly, the first two goals were defensive breakdowns by the U.S.

Oh well, it was a fun game and a fun tournament. At least the U.S. can say they beat every team that they played in this tournament, including Canada. Unfortunately, the win was not in the Gold Medal game. This American team was given no shot and by far the youngest team in the tournament, so just making the finals in and of itself is a major achievement. I hope the NHL sends players to Sochi in 2014 because I think this team of Americans can really make deep run 4 years from now. I love the guys like Parise, Stastny, Kesler, Kane, Malone, Backes, Brown, etc. This was an awesome team if not a little young. I'm disappointed now, but boy was it a fun tournament and a great accomplishment for the Americans. We have a lot to be proud of with these guys, especially our own Ryan Miller.

Congrats to Canada. I'm totally disappointed and depressed. I honestly would rather not even be in the medal part of the tournament than get Silver, but oh well. Miller, as it goes without saying, was again fantastic throughout the entire tournament. I'm glad we have him on our team. I'm pretty sure he'll rebound from this and he'll be back to playing the way he's played this Olympic tournament for much of this year. By the way, for those who are critics of Miller on this board, I think we saw just how great he is when he has all-star talent around him. Which means, what he's been able to accomplish thus far this year with the team in front of him is nothing short of a miracle. I firmly believe we have the best goalie in the NHL this year. He may not make the spectacular saves of Hasek, but he's the best right now in the NHL.

At the end of the day, the goal by Crosby, who I am beginning to hate more and more as every year passes, was a great quick shot by Crosby that really is the fault of Rafalski for not getting back into the play and preventing the centering pass to Crosby from Iginla. I really don't think you can put that goal on Miller. Rafalski needs to be making a smarter play 4-on-4 with Crosby out there and needs to get back into the play to take Crosby and prevent the centering pass. Miller could have and should have made the save, but Rafalski needs to prevent the pass from happening anyway. Clearly, the first two goals were defensive breakdowns by the U.S.

Oh well, it was a fun game and a fun tournament. At least the U.S. can say they beat every team that they played in this tournament, including Canada. Unfortunately, the win was not in the Gold Medal game. This American team was given no shot and by far the youngest team in the tournament, so just making the finals in and of itself is a major achievement. I hope the NHL sends players to Sochi in 2014 because I think this team of Americans can really make deep run 4 years from now. I love the guys like Parise, Stastny, Kesler, Kane, Malone, Backes, Brown, etc. This was an awesome team if not a little young. I'm disappointed now, but boy was it a fun tournament and a great accomplishment for the Americans. We have a lot to be proud of with these guys, especially our own Ryan Miller.

Great post, except I will gladly take Silver over coming home empty-handed.

Great post, except I will gladly take Silver over coming home empty-handed.

Yeah, it's just the emotion of the thing, that's all. If this team had no chance and did nothing, it would sting a lot less. But, getting to the finals and losing in the finals just stings so much. I think after a few days, I'll be fine and back to normal, but it just stings so much as an American right now.

By tomorrow, I'll start worrying about Pittsburgh and Washington and forget completely about this game, but it stings right now.

Does Crosby own Miller? He scores the OT goal tonight. Had the shootout winning goal at the Winter Classic. I believe he had a hat trick against Miller earlier in the month. Is there a site that breaks down a players goals by goaltenders faced?

Crosby owns a lot of goalies, has had numerous hat tricks against other goalies. For you to come on here with this crap, after a GREAT Olympic performance by Miller is unexcusable!!!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

Im disappointed but in 4 years they better change this 4v4 for twenty minutes deal. That's so stupid. For a gold medal it should be decided by continuous 5 on 5 OT.

Yep. And no shootouts in the medal games.

Miller's mindset is a fair question. He's admitted in the past to obsessing over things. Did I hear he was working with a shrink? I can't be certain. Anyway, this one will be a doozy to get over -- especially given the history with Crosby. There's also the Alfie History to deal with.

Wow, am I glad I didn't see that. My hard drive is already nearly full of Terrible Way to Lose the Big One Buffalo Moments.

I keep coming back to the idea that when Great Offensive Talent meets Great Goaltending, Great Goaltending tends to lose. True greatness met a pretender today. It's totally uncanny, isn't it? How the puck drops on Lemieux's stick in Game 6. You just shake your head.

Really looking forward to seeing what Miller looks like now. Really not looking forward to hearing all the garbage out of the Igloo and on Versus on Tuesday.

Dave, if that's a Sabres game, I'm pissed. That is not a good goal. Seriously, that is not a good goal. Period. Miller was awesome but I'm glad he let that one in. I just know from his past, he's got serious mental focus and he's had lapses before. I hope he can shake this off because I want the Sabres in the playoffs. And I know he can carry them all the way if they get in.

Really? I mean....REALLY?!?! You think he lost mental focus? The dude just won MVP of the tourney and you're blaming him for mental lapses. Congrats on the win, you must have been drinking since 6 AM if you think that that goal is on Miller. He nor any other player on the US team has anything to be ashamed of.

Crosby owns a lot of goalies, has had numerous hat tricks against other goalies. For you to come on here with this crap, after a GREAT Olympic performance by Miller is unexcusable!!!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

Nothing says "Great Olympic" moments like two groups of millionaires laying it all out there on the ice. :doh:

As long as Miller is not affected by this loss and spirals downward for the Sabres, I am totally fine. Great great tournament and Olympics! Congrats Vancouver

For me, country will always come before professional sports. I'd rather see the U.S. Men win a gold medal in hockey in my lifetime than the Sabres win the Stanley Cup any day. With that being said I'd like to see true amateurs used at these games, rather than NHL players or any other professionls. There is something arrogant about the NHL parading their players in after the opening ceremonies are held and are made to leave before the closing ceremonies. Maybe it would reduce the temptation to create advantages, such as using a smaller ice surface, for squads with only NHL players on them.

As for the Olympics, I don't know if you can call them a success given that a young man died at these games in large part due to the facilities being used. The passion of the host fans was palpable, even if some fans did spoil the civility of the Olympics by booing or chiding other teams. I would say that I got what I expected from these games. All in all, a nice break from reality.

Archived