Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

I know the Sabres have one final game before the break, but I thought I'd start this for anyone else interested in discussing the Olympic games.

FWIW, you can find NBC's hockey TV schedule here:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/zone=ET/sport=IH/index.html

Just find the My Settings link toward the top of the page, click Change, and enter your cable/TV provider info.

This is a good thread for now. I recommend that we start separate threads for USA and Canada games, at least in the elimination round.

I'm going to switch over to Canada-Slovakia right after the Sabs game.

For now, I'm watching Miracle for the first time. It's good, but I like the Karl Malden version better. Can't find it anymore, though.

This is a good thread for now. I recommend that we start separate threads for USA and Canada games, at least in the elimination round.

I'm going to switch over to Canada-Slovakia right after the Sabs game.

For now, I'm watching Miracle for the first time. It's good, but I like the Karl Malden version better. Can't find it anymore, though.

Has there ever been a worse job of casting?!

The Kurt Russell version was fantastic.

Has there ever been a worse job of casting?!

The Kurt Russell version was fantastic.

I just finished it an hour ago. I didn't like it as well as the first one. Mostly because there was original game footage in the 1981 version, and because of the medal presentation at the end where it showed what happened to each player after the Olympics. Plus, it had Steve Guttenberg. (Alright, that may not exactly be an advantage.) But I liked Malden as Brooks.

I just finished it an hour ago. I didn't like it as well as the first one. Mostly because there was original game footage in the 1981 version, and because of the medal presentation at the end where it showed what happened to each player after the Olympics. Plus, it had Steve Guttenberg. (Alright, that may not exactly be an advantage.) But I liked Malden as Brooks.

But you liked both versions, right? I can't imagine a hockey fan not liking the Russell version.

The 2004 version gave updates on where the players are now, during the credits. It would have been nice for them to say which players went on to play in the NHL, but it was still a nice touch.

I have never seen the 1981 version but I liked that they did a pretty good job in the 04 film of reenacting the games with good young player/actors. And a nice hockey bonus - Billy Schneider got to portray his father, Buzz, in the '04 version.

The 2004 version gave updates on where the players are now, during the credits. It would have been nice for them to say which players went on to play in the NHL, but it was still a nice touch.

I have never seen the 1981 version but I liked that they did a pretty good job in the 04 film of reenacting the games with good young player/actors. And a nice hockey bonus - Billy Schneider got to portray his father, Buzz, in the '04 version.

Yes. I watched that; they're all investors or coaches now. The 1981 version showed what teams they ended up with, if they did, or in the notable case of Mr. Eruzione, noted that he would not play anymore because he promised his GF he wouldn't. It showed each player--the real player, and not an actor--picking up his medal, with a note about what he was doing. It's really cool.

And yes, it was cool to see Buzz's son playing his part.

Yes. I watched that; they're all investors or coaches now. The 1981 version showed what teams they ended up with, if they did, or in the notable case of Mr. Eruzione, noted that he would not play anymore because he promised his GF he wouldn't. It showed each player--the real player, and not an actor--picking up his medal, with a note about what he was doing. It's really cool.

And yes, it was cool to see Buzz's son playing his part.

Yeah, that's about the only thing I didn't like. It would have tied it all together nicely if they showed the actual players and gave a quick recap of their post-Miracle playing/coaching days. But all in all I loved the 04 version.

Today's Schedule:

Women's hockey: Sweden-Switzerland at 3 p.m. and Canada-Slovakia at 8 p.m.m., both listed on CNBC.

Canada won 18-0 and by far the best Slovak player is their goalie Tomcikova. I heard nhl.com reporter Shawn Roarke say after the game, that there was nothing she could have done, however, despite making 49 saves, she was in tears after apologizing to her teammates and nation for "letting them down". That is why the Olympic games are so special...

Canada beat up on Slovakia, 18-0. Astounding, right? Slovakia must be horrible. Well, consider that in qualifying, that same Slovakia squad beat Bulgaria, 82-0. So how much would Canada have beaten Bulgaria by? 500?

They need to shrink the competition pool for women's hockey until more teams are able to keep up. 8 teams may be too many if this is happening. They should try 6.

Canada beat up on Slovakia, 18-0. Astounding, right? Slovakia must be horrible. Well, consider that in qualifying, that same Slovakia squad beat Bulgaria, 82-0. So how much would Canada have beaten Bulgaria by? 500?

They need to shrink the competition pool for women's hockey until more teams are able to keep up. 8 teams may be too many if this is happening. They should try 6.

Is this score confirmed? That is astounding! A goal every 45 seconds? Game must have taken five hours to play.

Archived