[OT] Spelling

inkman

Might be the Polish Porch in Buffalo, but here it's the Italian porch.

Well, when you are from the Buffalo area, no matter where your ancestor came from, you're half Polish, half Canadian.

And Canadian porch just sounds stupid.

Well, when you are from the Buffalo area, no matter where your ancestor came from, you're half Polish, half Canadian.

I grew up believing people from Buffalo were Irish and Polish...

Actually, if you're of European descent; if you're in Buf'lo and you aren't at least 1/2 Polish, Irish, or Italian you're either just visiting or just not trying.

Just sayin'.

• 3 weeks later...

STOP USING "OF" INSTEAD OF "HAVE" !!!!

If I see one more person post something like, "Connolly should OF gotten back in time", I'm gonna..... I'm gonna........

*head explodes*

:death:

"Then somebody remembered that twice a year Mr. Goldfarb had gone gallivanting off somewhere. He must of gone off to Cincinnati. The son must of sent him the ticket. The preacher said that to the best of his recollection the times the old man used to go to Cincinnati must have been Jewish feast days. He said he respected people for being true to their religion."

Robert Penn Warren, Flood. Warren uses both "must of" and "must have" in the same paragraph, and since he's one of America's most decorated writers (only person to win a Pulitzer both for poetry and for fiction, first US poet laureate, etc.), you can bet it is done on purpose.

Most of the novel takes place in the sixties, but this passage describes a memory from the thirties, in small-town Tennessee. The "somebody" doing the remembering is likely just some old townie. But the preacher is presumably a man with some education. Even though none of the three uses are quotations, Warren still attributes the colloquial (and wrong) "must of" to the townie and the correct "must have" to the educated preacher.

Thought of weave's post as soon as I read that passage.

Still enjoying the beach.

"Then somebody remembered that twice a year Mr. Goldfarb had gone gallivanting off somewhere. He must of gone off to Cincinnati. The son must of sent him the ticket. The preacher said that to the best of his recollection the times the old man used to go to Cincinnati must have been Jewish feast days. He said he respected people for being true to their religion."

Robert Penn Warren, Flood. Warren used both "must of" and "must have" in the same paragraph, and since he's one of America's most decorated writers (only person to win a Pulitzer both for poetry and for fiction, first US poet laureate, etc.), you can bet it is done on purpose.

Most of the novel takes place in the sixties, but this passage describes a memory from the thirties, in small-town Tennessee. The "somebody" doing the remembering is likely just some old townie. But the preacher is presumably a man with some education. Even though none of the three uses are quotations, Warren still attributes the colloquial (and wrong) "must of" to the townie and the correct "must have" to the educated preacher.

I thought you were at the game last night.

This thread reminds me that at his presser, Pegula described something as an "aberition." Meant aberration.

I thought you were at the game last night.

This thread reminds me that at his presser, Pegula described something as an "aberition." Meant aberration.

No, I watched it on versus like everyone else. And he may have meant "apparition." Was he talking about Tim Horton?

Robert Penn Warren, Flood. Warren uses both "must of" and "must have" in the same paragraph, and since he's one of America's most decorated writers (only person to win a Pulitzer both for poetry and for fiction, first US poet laureate, etc.), you can bet it is done on purpose.

This is what you do on vacation? Really? Take a page from chz: get a bottle of tequila, throw the lemon over your shoulder, drink the shot, tongue the worm.

No, I watched it on versus like everyone else. And he may have meant "apparition." Was he talking about Tim Horton?

I'm pretty sure you referred to being at MSG, which is very "Dick Cheney bunker-ish." End quote.

What's really bad are those words that don't change spelling whether they're singular or plural.

Deer

Moose

Pepperoni (I encountered "pepperonis" a lot when I worked at Domino's pizza near the Holidome in Henrietta. Extremely annoying, but they probably didn't know any better).

Dough (I said "doughs" in front of my manager at the same place. He was quick to correct me.) :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

First off, first post. Glad to be here. And stuff.

Second, for the longest time, I had people convinced that the plural of moose was "meese." My "logic" was "goose" vs. "geese." SO many people bought into it. For the most part, I just chuckled to myself. The more people that bought into it though, the sadder I became. Eventually, I just gave up. I started losing faith in humanity.

Archived