[OT] Spelling

inkman

not as fun as duct tape or a paint ball, but the chicago cubs actually arranged for the sculptor to engrave an apostrophe into the statue that is installed outside wrigley. here he is touching up the apostrophe. i love his take that his omission of the apostrophe was "over-hyped."

I like where this thread is going. We need a good grammar/usage rant. Damn, this board has been intolerable since the Sabres started winning some.

I like where this thread is going. We need a good grammar/usage rant. Damn, this board has been intolerable since the Sabres started winning some.

STOP USING "OF" INSTEAD OF "HAVE" !!!!

If I see one more person post something like, "Connolly should OF gotten back in time", I'm gonna..... I'm gonna........

*head explodes*

:death:

There's no apostrophe on the banner. There should be. (Pardon me while I debate this with the various voices in my head.)

OK, maybe it could go either way, but the formal name of the trophy is Presidents' Trophy, per the NHL. It's more a trophy that belongs to the presidents of the NHL (Presidents' Trophy) than a kind of trophy (Presidents Trophy).

Aud, help...

I just assumed you were thinking it should be the President's Trophy because that's what I would have thought before I looked it up. Either way, there needs to be an apostrophe in there.

If I see one more person post something like, "Connolly should OF gotten back in time", I'm gonna..... I'm gonna........

*head explodes*

Have course, I of to agree; this one bothers me, too.

There's no apostrophe on the banner. There should be. (Pardon me while I debate this with the various voices in my head.)

OK, maybe it could go either way, but the formal name of the trophy is Presidents' Trophy, per the NHL. It's more a trophy that belongs to the presidents of the NHL (Presidents' Trophy) than a kind of trophy (Presidents Trophy).

Aud, help...

i'm getting rusty on points this fine, but you're accurately recalling a legitimate distinction, PA.

"presidents trophy" sees a plural noun used in a descriptive manner. this is done in a variety of contexts -- the only one i can call to mind is in situations like this: sabres defenseman tyler myers spoke to the media following his first career hat trick. in that case, i don't think there should be an apostrophe after "sabres." but i think it's different if you put an article in front of team's name, as in: the sabres' tyler myers spoke to the media following his first career hat trick."

in this instance, it is clearly the presidents' trophy, though.

i'm getting rusty on points this fine, but you're accurately recalling a legitimate distinction, PA.

"presidents trophy" sees a plural noun used in a descriptive manner. this is done in a variety of contexts -- the only one i can call to mind is in situations like this: sabres defenseman tyler myers spoke to the media following his first career hat trick. in that case, i don't think there should be an apostrophe after "sabres." but i think it's different if you put an article in front of team's name, as in: the sabres' tyler myers spoke to the media following his first career hat trick."

All I'm seeing on google is "Presidents'" and not "President's," and certainly not "Presidents." I do not recall whether the banner at the Arena is missing the apostrophe. If so, that should be fixed.

See, your shift key *DOES* work! :)

See, your shift key *DOES* work! :)

ha! fair enough. ;)

hes prolly just

a fan

of e.e. cummings

he's a fine poet. still, if we're talking american-born modernists, it's t.s. eliot or GTFO. (see what i did there?)

wow riveting commentary here fellas.
Well, Rivet's gotta do something; if it's providing commentary, so be it.

+11.

For some reason, people around here leave out the phrase "to be" on an alarmingly regular basis. (Example: "the grass needs mowed" or "the laundry needs done".) It drives me bonkers. What does everyone have against prepositional phrases and Shakespeare?

*head explodes*

What's with this recent trend of everybody saying 'literally'? Everywhere you listen people say it non-stop and it's never in the correct context! It irks the hell out of me, I don't know why. But do people think it puts more of an emphasis on their point even though there is no 'figurative' alternative to what they said?

I think a lot of people don't realize that "yea" is pronounced like "yay". I see this two ways. First, people will often use "yea" in their posts when they mean "yeah", and secondly, I constantly see forum polls with the options "yay" or "nay". The former I don't really care about, but for some reason the latter really irks me.

For some reason, people around here leave out the phrase "to be" on an alarmingly regular basis. (Example: "the grass needs mowed" or "the laundry needs done".) It drives me bonkers. What does everyone have against prepositional phrases and Shakespeare?

they dont take kindly to them book learning college boys.

That is a Pittsburgh speech pattern - you should leave town tonight and drive north until you are back in New York.

they dont take kindly to them book learning college boys.

Umm, Biodork is a girl. ;)

Recently I've encountered a few words I hear mispronounced with regularity and I'm curious as to the nature. Is it local dialect? Is it regional affectation from heavy ethnic populations? Or do I just know a bunch of dumbasses? Here are the words:

Salsa- pronounced selsa

Since- pronounced sense

Milk- pronounced melk

Anyone encounter this?

You better AXE somebody!!! :thumbdown:

Sewriously, even some whities I've ran into are using this; disgrasefull......

Archived