[OT] Spelling

inkman

Who's to say how they're supposed to be pronounced?

There are books that address this. See below.

that's the correct pronunciation of eggs.

The dictionary that I keep in my office does, in fact, list that as an alternate pronunciation. Dammit. It's still annoying to me.

The dictionary that I keep in my office does, in fact, list that as an alternate pronunciation. Dammit. It's still annoying to me.

i got into this dispute with someone, we looked it up online and they actually say the word for you. aigs vs eggggs, leg (lehg) vs leg (peg). were both from buffalo.

saying water at witter bothers me.

What's really bad are those words that don't change spelling whether they're singular or plural.

Deer

Moose

Pepperoni (I encountered "pepperonis" a lot when I worked at Domino's pizza near the Holidome in Henrietta. Extremely annoying, but they probably didn't know any better).

Dough (I said "doughs" in front of my manager at the same place. He was quick to correct me.) :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

The one that bugs the hell out of me is "lackadaisical" vs. "laxadaisical".

You can either be lax, or you can be lackadaisical, but you can't be "laxadaisical."

Along similar lines, I know someone who says flustrated. I've gotten to the point where I just consider it his own portmanteau.

Why should I follow the dictionary that you keep in your office?

Why should I follow the dictionary that you keep in your office?

There are other dictionaries. Your question was, "Who's to say how they're supposed to be pronounced?" Now you have an answer to your question.

Did the signing of Shaone (Shawn) Morrison have any bearing on this topic?

I love this one and hear it mostly from what seems to be just the upper class country club types. Goff! "That was a beautiful goff shot Thadeus." When did L's become silent?

Did the signing of Shaone (Shawn) Morrison have any bearing on this topic?

I love this one and hear it mostly from what seems to be just the upper class country club types. Goff! "That was a beautiful goff shot Thadeus." When did L's become silent?

When players souf of the mason Dixon line started playing.

Recently I've encountered a few words I hear mispronounced with regularity and I'm curious as to the nature. Is it local dialect? Is it regional affectation from heavy ethnic populations? Or do I just know a bunch of dumbasses? Here are the words:

Salsa- pronounced selsa

Since- pronounced sense

Milk- pronounced melk

Anyone encounter this?

I always thought the 'melk' pronunciation was supposed to be mid-atlantic/DC area, but meh.

How about a 7 letter word with only one vowel? Anyone?

Name a nine-letter one-syllable word.

I always thought the 'melk' pronunciation was supposed to be mid-atlantic/DC area, but meh.

Name a nine-letter one-syllable word.

The same nine-letter word I named that has only one vowel, also has only one syllable.

The things that makes me want to tear my hair out by the handsful are incorrectly quoted phrases. For instance:

It is "wreak havoc", not "wreck" havoc.

It is "card sharp" not "card shark"

It is "get used to it" not "get use to it"

You get the idea. (Also, there's a lot of "to, too and two" and "lose and loose" issues out there, too. <-correct!

...and the plural of moose is "moosen". (OK, not really. I got that from comedian Brian Regan).

Archived