[OT] Spelling

inkman

For God's sake people:

Connolly - it's two o's, get it right

loser, lose, losing - it's one o, losers

than - when comparing two things, this is how you spell it

ridiculous - this isn't that hard people

Any other spelling Nazis want to join in, please do.

This is a dangerous game you are playing, my friend.

Here's mine: only 1 m in Pominville.

For God's sake people:

Connolly - it's two o's, get it right

loser, lose, losing - it's one o, losers

than - when comparing two things, this is how you spell it

ridiculous - this isn't that hard people

Where - there is an "h" in it.

Resign - to quit.

Re-sign - to sign someone again.

May I?

Learn the difference between to, too, two, and 2.

Also, a grammar annoyance: people are not "that", they are "who"; as in "The folks THAT sit in the 300 section", which is wrong - correct would be "The folks WHO sit in the 300 section". This particular grammar foul is committed daily and everywhere and makes little kittens sad the American Educational System has failed so thoroughly.

The Buffalo apostrophe.

Apostrophes are not used to make plurals. In other word's, this sentence is wrong. You have great seats for the game, not great seat's, and the team you are rooting for is the Sabres, not the Sabre's, and there is not a restaurant on William Street that has great soup's.

There is not a single word* in the English language for which the plural is formed by adding an apostrophe-s. Not one. Don't do it.

If you don't need to show possession, you probably do not need to use an apostrophe-s.

And yeah, there's a case where a possessive is formed without an apostrophe-s, too. It's tricky, but if you're attentive, you'll notice its presence here.

*Yeah, some people form the plurals of letters this way, e.g., "my son had three A's and two B's last semester," but those aren't words. And apparently, this confuses all of WNY.

The Buffalo apostrophe.

Apostrophes are not used to make plurals. In other word's, this sentence is wrong. You have great seats for the game, not great seat's, and the team you are rooting for is the Sabres, not the Sabre's, and there is not a restaurant on William Street that has great soup's.

There is not a single word* in the English language for which the plural is formed by adding an apostrophe-s. Not one. Don't do it.

If you don't need to show possession, you probably do not need to use an apostrophe-s.

And yeah, there's a case where a possessive is formed without an apostrophe-s, too. It's tricky, but if you're attentive, you'll notice its presence here.

*Yeah, some people form the plurals of letters this way, e.g., "my son had three A's and two B's last semester," but those aren't words. And apparently, this confuses all of WNY.

Ah, but which word, that is singular, can you remove an "s" from to make a plural word?

God I'm a dork...

May I?

Also, a grammar annoyance: people are not "that", they are "who"; as in "The folks THAT sit in the 300 section", which is wrong - correct would be "The folks WHO sit in the 300 section". This particular grammar foul is committed daily and everywhere and makes little kittens sad the American Educational System has failed so thoroughly.

Is a cat a "that"? My cat's a "who."

May I?

Instinctively, I didn't think that last one was correct, and my OED lists references to people as an acceptable use of "that." Neither of the two style manuals I have at home (I'm an even bigger dork than Weasel is) treat the issue, but here's a writer who takes your side but acknowledges that the matter isn't exactly decided: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/who-versus-that.aspx

Enough spelling and grammar for me, even for a rainy Saturday. I'll check back later, after I go out, and when I'm more error-prone.

And this one:

Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus

Get it right people.

Sorry spndnchz...its: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

My daughter saw "Mary Poppins" on Broadway with her Ballet Company last year. After the show, they were invited to learn the dance in a private lesson from the cast. The word is in the song and they spell it out and it's pretty cool. When the company came home they performed it for us parents :)

Archived