[OT] Spelling

inkman

For some reason, people around here leave out the phrase "to be" on an alarmingly regular basis. (Example: "the grass needs mowed" or "the laundry needs done".) It drives me bonkers. What does everyone have against prepositional phrases and Shakespeare?

That's all Central Penna., right there. I thankfully avoided marrying into that, umm, let's call it a dialect.

:bag: While it is a perfectly legitimate word, I hate "physicality". First time I heard it, I swore it was made up. Looked it up. Alas, it's a good word. Still hate hearing it used. :bag:

It is, without a doubt, my least favorite word in the English language. There are so many better choices.

That is not a mispronunciation; those are 2 separate words altogether - the Buffalo dialect almost always refers to "soda" as "pop"

Again, not a mispronunciation; a really bad regional (Southern) term for athletic shoes.... UGHHHH - can't stand this one !!

Equally horrible.

That's all Central Penna., right there. I thankfully avoided marrying into that, umm, let's call it a dialect.

lol

Another one I'd never heard until we moved here: people (not everyone) pronouncing the word "color" as "keller". WTF?

lol

Another one I'd never heard until we moved here: people (not everyone) pronouncing the word "color" as "keller". WTF?

That one's new. I guess she was only so Pennsylvanian. Seriously, though, the "English" spoken in this certain swath of America that spans parts of Penna., West Va., Ohio, and Ky., is as scary as anything I've ever heard anywhere else.

Yes, I have been to the Deep South. Several times. I've also been to Wales. This is worse than each of those.

That one's new. I guess she was only so Pennsylvanian. Seriously, though, the "English" spoken in this certain swath of America that spans parts of Penna., West Va., Ohio, and Ky., is as scary as anything I've ever heard anywhere else.

Yes, I have been to the Deep South. Several times. I've also been to Wales. This is worse than each of those.

I have a friend from outside Swansea. It's fun listening to him.

I shared an office with a Glasweegan. I think my comprehension went from 5 to 20% in 3 years.

Glaswegian.

Since we're in this thread, and all.

Their speech is all kinds of messed up. It's like someone sews their cheeks together at birth.

STOP USING "OF" INSTEAD OF "HAVE" !!!!

If I see one more person post something like, "Connolly should OF gotten back in time", I'm gonna..... I'm gonna........

*head explodes*

:death:

This is my number one pet peeve on message boards and the interwebs.

I can only assume that a contraction of should/could/would and have (should've/would've/could've) is to blame for all the Should Of/Could Of/Would Of misuse, but that is still no excuse.

It really galls me to see how bad the day to day mangling of the English language by people with whom I went to school. Reading their emails and Facebook posts makes me :wallbash:.

This is my number one pet peeve on message boards and the interwebs.

I can only assume that a contraction of should/could/would and have (should've/would've/could've) is to blame for all the Should Of/Could Of/Would Of misuse, but that is still no excuse.

It really galls me to see how bad the day to day mangling of the English language by people with whom I went to school. Reading their emails and Facebook posts makes me :wallbash:.

:thumbsup:

Orient vs. Orientation.

You can orient your furniture in a certain direction, but you can't orientate it. You can be disoriented, but not disorientated. Very annoying. Laxadaisical, too. Pffffftt!

lol forgot about that one - definitely annoying. Reminds me of a similar word that drives my friend crazy when used improperly: she can't stand when people refer to Asians as Orientals. Her patent response is "I'm not a f*cking rug!!!"

Another one I thought of last night, and possible one of the most commonly and annoying misused: Pennsylvania Dutch.

Orient vs. Orientation.

You can orient your furniture in a certain direction, but you can't orientate it. You can be disoriented, but not disorientated. Very annoying. Laxadaisical, too. Pffffftt!

Orientate just doesn't sound right. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.. 'let me orientate you to the .... ' Grrr

Archived