[OT] Spelling

inkman

I had no idea what you're talking about until my ex moved to Rochester with me, obviously prior to being my ex. I guess my pronunciation isn't too bad as my parents weren't from here but the whole mashing of the middle syllable is bizarre.

No syllable has the accent. Definitely weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the full name is ###### neanderthalensis, and Latin doesn't have the th digraph we have in English, so...it's always been pronounced that way?

That is funny that you can't use the scientific word "h-o-m-o". The joys of filters. One day when computers have gotten to the terminator level of intelligence (before they decide to kill us all) we will be able to have systems that know the difference between science and slur.

That is funny that you can't use the scientific word "h-o-m-o". The joys of filters. One day when computers have gotten to the terminator level of intelligence (before they decide to kill us all) we will be able to have systems that know the difference between science and slur.

Absolutely one of my favorite posts ever, particularly the bold part. :clapping:

I'm from Rochester and now live in VA (have lived in VA longer than I did in Roch for the record)

Rochster-isms that don't translate down south (notice I left out the middle "e" in Rochester) :nana: :

Carmel = CarAmel

Lilac (Lilock) = Lilack

Ambulance (ambulence) = AmbulAnce

"All's I know" - didn't translate at all and I was made fun of profusely when I moved down here.

Richmond-isms that don't translate up north (besides the above):

"It won't my turn to do the dishes" - really, won't?????

Y'all (enough said, but I now say it too)

Coke = soda/pop - when I first moved here it was worse than it is now. If you went to a store you had to ask where the "coke" was. I acutally went out with a girl that ordered an "orange coke" at a restaurant.... :blink:

• 5 months later...

How 'bout the PRESIDENTS TROPHY banner hanging in the arena?

Perhaps someone could bring a paintball gun to the arena and fire the apostrophe up there.

A quick google search brings it up as the "Presidents' Trophy". I'm guessing that wasn't what you were expecting, but the trophy apparently honors multiple presidents. So there's no apostrophe on the banner at all?

A quick google search brings it up as the "Presidents' Trophy". I'm guessing that wasn't what you were expecting, but the trophy apparently honors multiple presidents. So there's no apostrophe on the banner at all?

That makes the shot soooo much easier. Landing a paintball between the T and S would have been pretty challenging from distance but if all you gotta do is put it somewhere to the right of the S... cake. problem solved. kudos to PA for the paintball idea... thinking outside the box, i like it! next?

just put a piece of duct tape at an angle between the T and S.. problem solved.

not as fun as duct tape or a paint ball, but the chicago cubs actually arranged for the sculptor to engrave an apostrophe into the statue that is installed outside wrigley. here he is touching up the apostrophe. i love his take that his omission of the apostrophe was "over-hyped."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4_8QsVujYg

There's no apostrophe on the banner. There should be. (Pardon me while I debate this with the various voices in my head.)

OK, maybe it could go either way, but the formal name of the trophy is Presidents' Trophy, per the NHL. It's more a trophy that belongs to the presidents of the NHL (Presidents' Trophy) than a kind of trophy (Presidents Trophy).

Aud, help...

Haha, I actually noticed that right after I posted and debated going to back to fix it but figured nobody would notice... then i proceeded to edit the thread numerous times with the Kaleta information and still didn't change it. :doh:

As long as we are all being pricks, "intact" is one word. I saw it written as "in tact" in two separate posts.

Archived