The Music Thread

darksabre

I thought the show was good as well.  Sounds like we were lucky that we saw them when we did.  From reading the Reddit thread that Josie posted the quality was quite hit or miss (mostly miss) as the drug problems got worse.  

I think I agree with you on the green megaphone, but I don't know how you remember that little tidbit.  I couldn't have guessed at the color before you said something.

It was before the internet for us, but the rumor mill at the time was he was either great, or absolutely horrible. It appears as we had great, or else you would have walked out.

We had awesome seats.  Sat eye to eye with the band about 30 foot to the right and slightly in front of the stage. Scott walked over to his left while singing into the megaphone and looked (appeared to me anyways) right at us and sang. It wasn't till you mentioned the song and the megaphone that I started to remember any of this. I can remember that, but I can't remember the time of year, who we went with (Mrs. Racer and I), or who bought the tickets ..... 

You must have gone to Blossom Music Center, no?  It's been 15 years since we've been there, was best place to see a concert to us.

It was before the internet for us, but the rumor mill at the time was he was either great, or absolutely horrible. It appears as we had great, or else you would have walked out.

We had awesome seats.  Sat eye to eye with the band about 30 foot to the right and slightly in front of the stage. Scott walked over to his left while singing into the megaphone and looked (appeared to me anyways) right at us and sang. It wasn't till you mentioned the song and the megaphone that I started to remember any of this. I can remember that, but I can't remember the time of year, who we went with (Mrs. Racer and I), or who bought the tickets ..... 

You must have gone to Blossom Music Center, no?  It's been 15 years since we've been there, was best place to see a concert to us.

Don't think I ever made it to Blossom.  I've been to Syracuse War Memorial and the State Fairgrounds for concerts.  I've been to the Aud and Marine Midland (at the time) in Buffalo.  I've been to many around Rochester back in the day.

Don't think I ever made it to Blossom.  I've been to Syracuse War Memorial and the State Fairgrounds for concerts.  I've been to the Aud and Marine Midland (at the time) in Buffalo.  I've been to many around Rochester back in the day.

I'm sure we are within a year or 2 of age if you where going to concerts at places that no longer exist. I can't say as I recommend Blossom any longer when I haven't been their in so long. But if you do get a chance to go on a beautiful summers evening, let us (at least me) live vicariously through you. Love to have another memory stirred to the surface.

I'm sure we are within a year or 2 of age if you where going to concerts at places that no longer exist. I can't say as I recommend Blossom any longer when I haven't been their in so long. But if you do get a chance to go on a beautiful summers evening, let us (at least me) live vicariously through you. Love to have another memory stirred to the surface.

Well, highly unlikely since I haven't been to a concert in years and I don't live in Rochester anymore, or New York State  :P

But, my kids are getting closer to their teen years so I'm sure concerts may be on my agenda again, but not ones I would normally be interested in I fear.

I saw STP a few years ago after their reunion.  The tickets were like $40 bucks each and they only played for 45 minutes.  Both opening bands played for an hour.  They were okay, but  you could hear Weiland's voice wasn't as good as it used to be.

STP and Velvet Revolver both meant a decent amount to me at one time.  I'll never forget these:

Also:

Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Plush

Creep

Edited by qwksndmonster

I guess this belongs here rather than anywhere else, but RIP Scott Weiland.  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-dead-at-48-20151204  I used to be a fan of STP and saw them at the Rochester War Memorial in 1997(?).  My favorite song of theirs has always been:

When they did this song live, Scott used a megaphone for the voice effect, which I thought was pretty cool.

Powerful article

http://www.rockfeed.net/news/scott-weilands-ex-wife-kids-share-brutally-honest-details-about-his-drug-addiction

I quietly enjoy that Halsey gal. She represents my older kids' first big foray into music that I sorta wished they were not listening to.

A song about songs being stuck in your head, is stuck in my head.

Love that guy. Grammy nominated!

Where my music and my daughters collide. Ryan Adams covers the Taylor Swift album 1989.  Pretty darn good.

Same here. Enjoyed his take very much, as did Ms. Swift apparently.

Skip to .25 for the song to start, and just ignore how dumb the music video is. The hook is absurdly catchy, guaranteed to stick in your head all day into tomorrow

That is a super solid pop tune. A sparkler.

We saw him perform it live and solo (and acoustic) when we went to see Swift in TO. Great tune.

This was in my inbox. I think I'm disturbed. Can't figure out why it was sent to me. I'm kinda creeped out. 

You are great with this stuff. Love that song and scene.

+++

Day late, but this one -- specifically the *opening* -- was running through my head like a mother yesterday on the anniversary of the day the man was so untimely taken from us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfWQG5gI4A

Edited by That Aud Smell

We were talking about Fun recently.  This is the best (and my favorite) Fun song. (starts at :50)

My mom and sister were huge Fun fans before they got super big.  We saw them open for Janelle Monae shortly before this album came out.  I remember listening to this song and expecting the whole album to be this good.  I was so disappointed.