The Music Thread

darksabre

In honour of Yuri's final banning, which was clearly his ultimate goal.

To be clear, I am not saying that I don't think he should have been banned.  He brought it on himself and reading that thread he created that was his own send off.

Love The Specials. Love that whole sound.

I missed what Yuri did that was so bannable.

Love The Specials. Love that whole sound.

I missed what Yuri did that was so bannable.

The final straw that broke chz's back, so to speak, was his schizophrenic thread.

I really think the fact that he had turned SabreSpace into his personal soap box was the it. 

The final straw that broke chz's back, so to speak, was his schizophrenic thread.

I really think the fact that he had turned SabreSpace into his personal soap box was the it. 

so, just being a stream of consciousness OT freak gets you perma-banned?

i think 2015 is the year in which the standards and thresholds for a banning at sabrespace became much less clear to me.

It was a little more than that. Plus he was warned.

Can you elaborate on what the "little more" was?

As for the warning -- he was warned for what? For being a stream of consciousness wingnut prone to inscrutable metaphors and sprawling polemic? 

The Ban Hammer* has, of late, been wielded a bit too freely around here for my taste. Now, that's easy for me to say, since I am not obliged to be a custodian and curator of this board's culture, etc. Even so.

*Ironically, while the Ban Hammer can be controversial, Jan Hammer is indisputably awesome.

As for the warning -- he was warned for what? For being a stream of consciousness wingnut prone to inscrutable metaphors and sprawling polemic? 

The Ban Hammer* has, of late, been wielded a bit too freely around here for my taste. Now, that's easy for me to say, since I am not obliged to be a custodian and curator of this board's culture, etc. Even so.

*Ironically, while the Ban Hammer can be controversial, Jan Hammer is indisputably awesome.

IIRC, it was specifically about littering the board with non-hockey threads (not posts). His free stream of consciousnesswas fine.

And yes, Jan. :thumbsup:

Edited by SwampD

IIRC, it was specifically about littering the board with non-hockey threads (not posts). His free stream of consciousnesswas fine.

And yes, Jan. :thumbsup:

I see. I recall a couple of those -- Labor Day and Schizo. I guess I wonder what qualifies as littering.

OTOH, it occurs to me that Yuri was, by all appearances, an assumed persona of some other regular around here. So, I guess it's more a banning of a persona, as opposed to an actual person.

there have been 130 bans over the life of Sabrespace (10 yrs). We're well under our quota for this year. :flirt:

there have been 130 bans over the life of Sabrespace (10 yrs). We're well under our quota for this year. :flirt:

Appreciate that. 

My concern is this: Of those bans, how many were for foul, offensive, potentially defamatory, and/or abusive content? I'd think an overwhelming majority. Darn near all, actually. A Ban Jammer on a loon like Yuri just seemed . . . how you say, unduly subjective.

What the -- . What just happened? Marvelous.

Also, my contribution: Going to see these guys at Artpark next weekend. This (very catchy) song is often their opener, and it's a song that makes clear for me why they're the greatest American band out there right now. At its score, the tune sounds like it could've been written in Mark Twain's Missouri (excepting the R&B drum backing, for one); at the same time, it sounds fresh as hell.

I saw these guys a few years ago. I wasn't out of place at all. High energy show. You'll have a great time. 

I saw these guys a few years ago. I wasn't out of place at all. High energy show. You'll have a great time. 

Much appreciated. I first saw them in 2010. I've seen them a few times since then. Always a great show.

Did you seem them around here? Artpark 2013 maybe? That was my favourite show of theirs to date.

Much appreciated. I first saw them in 2010. I've seen them a few times since then. Always a great show.

Did you seem them around here? Artpark 2013 maybe? That was my favourite show of theirs to date.

It was Pittsburgh. I didn't know what to expect at all. It was a great show. I'll miss them at Artpark. I'm kind of bummed about that. 

It was Pittsburgh. I didn't know what to expect at all. It was a great show. I'll miss them at Artpark. I'm kind of bummed about that. 

I've heard Pittsburgh shows are worth seeing because of the special affection the band has for the city; Pittsburgh was one of their earliest outposts beyond the Carolinas, as evidenced by the fact that Pittsburgh (along with Cleveland) gets a shout-out in the litany of towns toward the end of "Traveling Song" (opening song on their 2003 (2003) album).

Edited by That Aud Smell

I see. I recall a couple of those -- Labor Day and Schizo. I guess I wonder what qualifies as littering.

OTOH, it occurs to me that Yuri was, by all appearances, an assumed persona of some other regular around here. So, I guess it's more a banning of a persona, as opposed to an actual person.

I have exchanged some PMs recently with Yuri.

In the most recent exchange he seemed to have made up his mind that he was going on one last rampage that, based on previous warnings, would result, he assumed and he told me, his ultimate banning.

I am not sure about the assumed persona part, but based on my PM exchanges with him, if Yuri was an assumed persona I can think of only one long-term poster that it could be and I really have my doubts about that.

Chz has not said much about it and I do not expect her to.  I also think it's bad form to question a mods decision concerning a banning ... and I don't mean a *time-out* type ban.

I am not sure about the assumed persona part, but based on my PM exchanges with him, if Yuri was an assumed persona I can think of only one long-term poster that it could be and I really have my doubts about that.

Interesting. If Yuri is a single individual and not some assumed persona of an existing poster, then that revives my misgivings as stated upthread. I'm not so sure, though. That voice is so out there. 

It also occurs to me that it could be an assumed persona, but not of someone who posts through another account.

Finally, if he knew it was coming and invited it, then I'm not so sure what there is to be said. Other, perhaps, than a criticism of the bases on which the prior warnings were given (and which made the banning foreseeable).

I dunno.

I also think it's bad form to question a mods decision concerning a banning ... and I don't mean a *time-out* type ban.

Disagree.

Why's it bad form? Are the mods to be treated as infallible? Their decisions immune from questioning?

I recognize that these are not my decisions to make, but are they not a legitimate topic of (respectful) debate for members of this community? I have to think and say (type) a loud "yes." 

Some good stuff. Who is this guy? (I am now old, but was into rap/hip-hop at a ground floor level, by Buffalo standards.)

ASAP Rocky. If you like that I recommend 'Canal St' (slower) and 'Excuse Me' (little faster) off of that album too, easily two of my favorite songs by him, and up there overall. Both just have some incredible creativity, amazing beats. Glad you appreciated him though  :beer:

Edited by WildCard

Interesting. If Yuri is a single individual and not some assumed persona of an existing poster, then that revives my misgivings as stated upthread. I'm not so sure, though. That voice is so out there. 

It also occurs to me that it could be an assumed persona, but not of someone who posts through another account.

Finally, if he knew it was coming and invited it, then I'm not so sure what there is to be said. Other, perhaps, than a criticism of the bases on which the prior warnings were given (and which made the banning foreseeable).

I dunno.

Disagree.

Why's it bad form? Are the mods to be treated as infallible? Their decisions immune from questioning?

I recognize that these are not my decisions to make, but are they not a legitimate topic of (respectful) debate for members of this community? I have to think and say (type) a loud "yes."

He is a poster who has had 3 accounts here. Each of which has been warned at least 3 times for multiple user infractions.

We mods talk about these things before the final chop. We have private rooms and such here for that.

If you have more questions please pm me.