Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Every week something happens to me during the week I just want to complain to someone about....maybe on a Monday or Tuesday night and I can't wait to post it here on Thursday. But then when Thursday morning comes, I forget what it was!  That is my complaint for the day.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Every week something happens to me during the week I just want to complain to someone about....maybe on a Monday or Tuesday night and I can't wait to post it here on Thursday. But then when Thursday morning comes, I forget what it was!  That is my complaint for the day.

You forgot where you put your Prevagen ? 

Quest Labs suck.  Had an appointment this morning for bloodwork, and I get a text that my appt is cancelled because location is closed for maintenance.  Next appt…next Wednesday.  Unfortunately, my plan does not allow me to go anywhere else for routine bloodwork. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Quest Labs suck.  Had an appointment this morning for bloodwork, and I get a text that my appt is cancelled because location is closed for maintenance.  Next appt…next Wednesday.  Unfortunately, my plan does not allow me to go anywhere else for routine bloodwork. 

There aren't other Quest locations in the area?  There are dozens of those in Fort Worth... in every medical office park and sometimes right in the same building with the doctor.

My complaint is the number of scammers on Facebook.  I am moderator for my neighborhood's page and at this point for every legit new member there are at least 4 or 5 guys with a name like Jason Brian (no last name, or a very common last name), whose actual name in their Facebook profile url is akeem.faruk.  If I can convince myself there is no way a new member is legit, I punt them on the spot.  Unfortunately the page admin only denied scammy posts but didn't punt the people who made them so they re-emerge periodically like cicadas.

When she first made me a moderator I was very careful and cleared every banning with her but she said she trusts me now and I just ban scammers with impunity.

MRQHtc.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I am moderator for my neighborhood's page and at this point for every legit new member there are at least 4 or 5 guys with a name like Jason Brian (no last name, or a very common last name), whose actual name in their Facebook profile url is akeem.faruk. 

Check out a YouTube channel called Pleasant Green.  The guy spends a lot of time busting scammers like these.

On 8/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, SwampD said:

Labcorp.

57 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Both of them are horrible.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I think there is a club on this site for just these posts.

41 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They are all over WNY. No appointments at any of them until stated, and they treat walk-ins like *****.  I am currently at one, and 40 min ago I was #6 on standby.  Still #6. 

Ugh.

My 16-year-old nephew is a really sweet kid who has unfortunately developed fairly severe anorexia (rare but not unheard of in males).  He was already skinny and lost about 35 lbs through a combination of starving himself and doing situps, pushups, etc. obsessively.  He was hospitalized for almost 3 weeks while they got his nutrition back to reasonable levels and is now going to enter an inpatient adolescent eating disorder facility.

I think my complaint here is that there seems to be much more pressure on kids now than there was a generation ago.  It's hard to identify the cause -- I think it's a combination of social media, increased competition for college admissions and jobs, increased economic pressure overall and other factors -- but regardless, I think the effects are real and harmful.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Hey, we're on page page 716! No complaint there.

Complaint: might be moving back to Buffalo, I really don't want to deal with the family obligations of that though. It's nice being far enough away that people don't bother you for stuff. (Yes, I'm kinda selfish)

My mom refused chemo and I lost her to cancer. Now, my friend's mom, who has been like a second mother to me for the last decade, is refusing chemo for her cancer and slowly going downhill.  I'm reliving a nightmare. It makes me sad, depressed, and so irrationally angry.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Check out a YouTube channel called Pleasant Green.  The guy spends a lot of time busting scammers like these.

Oh I know.  He's the one who tipped me off on the two-first-name guys.  I think the way it works is, if you're legit you don't mind doing business under your full name, but if you need to dodge people you hide your name.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

My 16-year-old nephew is a really sweet kid who has unfortunately developed fairly severe anorexia (rare but not unheard of in males).  He was already skinny and lost about 35 lbs through a combination of starving himself and doing situps, pushups, etc. obsessively.  He was hospitalized for almost 3 weeks while they got his nutrition back to reasonable levels and is now going to enter an inpatient adolescent eating disorder facility.

I think my complaint here is that there seems to be much more pressure on kids now than there was a generation ago.  It's hard to identify the cause -- I think it's a combination of social media, increased competition for college admissions and jobs, increased economic pressure overall and other factors -- but regardless, I think the effects are real and harmful.

Sorry to hear this story Rico, thankfully he is getting help. 

I am no expert, many will probably eye-roll my take, but it is probably social media that leads to peer pressure at school.  When I was 16 we just wanted to lift weights to gain muscle, get bigger, and get stronger, not to get lean and ripped to levels that required proper diets and are difficult to sustain.  The kids today live in a obese world and when they see super lean and ripped popular people on TV and in movies, they want that.  Getting lean and ripped is mostly about a good and nutritious diet.  Quite often these movie stars do it for short term and under strict supervision.  

The intense competition for jobs is actually subsiding in many fields.  College admissions and tuition are a complicated mess.   Economic pressure is very real due to these insane tuition levels and high levels of inflation.   

When I think back to when I was 16 my financial goals were short term and achievable - a used car to fix up and make look good, a good stereo, sporting equipment, etc.  You can build your confidence and personal management skills by achieving a series of smaller goals. 

Best wishes to him in his recovery and hoping he gets the tools to move forward from this.   

• Like (+1) 1

Complaint:  People who are concerned enough about what goes on in their neighborhood that they get security cameras, but stupid enough to leave their bicycles unlocked *in their front yard* and oblivious enough to post their Ring videos of someone stealing said bike at 3 am on Nextdoor.  No, I'm not exonerating the dipshit who stole the bike but yes I am victim blaming the fool who left the bike out.  I think most people (myself included) learn the hard way that if you don't take care of your stuff, someone else will help themself to it.  But if you think you need a security camera and don't bother to secure your belongings.... I'm not gonna feel sorry for you.

(I had to post this here to get it out of my system because replying to the Nextdoor thread would not have come to any good.)

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Complaint:  People who are concerned enough about what goes on in their neighborhood that they get security cameras, but stupid enough to leave their bicycles unlocked *in their front yard* and oblivious enough to post their Ring videos of someone stealing said bike at 3 am on Nextdoor.  No, I'm not exonerating the dipshit who stole the bike but yes I am victim blaming the fool who left the bike out.  I think most people (myself included) learn the hard way that if you don't take care of your stuff, someone else will help themself to it.  But if you think you need a security camera and don't bother to secure your belongings.... I'm not gonna feel sorry for you.

(I had to post this here to get it out of my system because replying to the Nextdoor thread would not have come to any good.)

My complaint is that you must make this (very fair) complaint at all. Woe that men are corruptible and that virtue is a hard road!

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

First, I am glad your nephew is getting help. I have a niece going through similar situations.

Second... there's perceived pressure on kids. Having watched and still watching my two kids navigate teen age life I can firmly say that they are subjected to levels of ***** I never thought possible. They are told they have to feel a certain way, or not to do something, or any number of things. Not just social media, but all of the Internet is like this. The problem is they don't know that it's all meaningless.  I watched my then 14 year old child talk to me about a situation among friends where the dialogue was basically them quoting mental health sites from the Internet. They were diagnosing each other without any wisdom.  Then, add in the fact that some social media influencer or something claims to be suffering from some self-diagnosed psychological issue (yes, I said self-diagnosed) and then they all believe they have it too.  It's like looking up skin rash and thinking you have cancer.

Why are kids strung out?  Because they are exposed to far too much crap and lack mental capacity to properly position it. For them it's the end of the world, for those of us with more experience, it's just annoying. Oh, and all media basically has the same tone to it.  You're either going to die, there's a conspiracy, or you're an imbecile and waste of life because "I'm a <insert something>, and here's why you are a moron for not doing something." or "Or <insert something> just happened, and I just can't"

Headlines are more egregious than ever and all of them either tell people they can't deal with things or if they have a different opinion they are idiots.

Tack on the fact that schools don't teach critical thinking, they teach rote memorization and you end up with a group that can't think, they can only react.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1