Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Did they call their local fd? Most volunteer departments do pump outs.

Josie told me that a lot of people on that street were in way worse shape, so it's probably better that they just handled it on their own. Let the FD take care of the bigger messes (waist high in some houses :o ). I guess they've got it almost pumped out, so that's good. 

Josie told me that a lot of people on that street were in way worse shape, so it's probably better that they just handled it on their own. Let the FD take care of the bigger messes (waist high in some houses :o ). I guess they've got it almost pumped out, so that's good.

Oh wow yeah that is bad. Glad they're almost done though.

Cowlesville has been a star of Channel 4's coverage so far, I came down off the hill and realized how bad it was. People are kayaking on Clinton street. My friend's yard has a spot that's chest deep right now because of the way it's collecting the water. I'll have to drive him to work tomorrow in all likelihood.

The creek there is cascading over the bridges, and wedged a tree through the guard rails of one of them. I've never seen anything like this.

Fack, that is some serious runoff for that locale. Don't drive that consistently, so certain I've never seen it in really bad rain conditions, but have driven past there at least 1,000 times & have never seen remotely close to what you describe.

5" of water in the basement this morning, according to the gf.   Who was shocked (literally) when she tried to put stuff in the dryer located in said basement.  She's ok.

The upside?  One hell of a sump pump, because it's just a couple of puddles left.

Still, I can tell from the water lines on boxes, etc., that she was right.  It was about 5".

5" of water in the basement this morning, according to the gf.   Who was shocked (literally) when she tried to put stuff in the dryer located in said basement.  She's ok.

The upside?  One hell of a sump pump, because it's just a couple of puddles left.

Still, I can tell from the water lines on boxes, etc., that she was right.  It was about 5".

There is an inappropriate joke right there waiting for someone to go after it.

I may burst from the pressure.

Speaking of water in basements... we pulled out of the house we had gone into contract on. Unfortunately, A LOT turned up during the inspection. Monday was exceptionally rainy, which was a great test for the basement. There were big time leaks at the entry slabs. With a little investigation, we discovered major water damage that had been covered up. One wall in the basement was bulging about an inch. That's nothing to the naked eye, but it's right about when you need to reinforce with I-beams. Also major issues with electric throughout the house and garage- nothing grounded, many things disconnected. In the garage, there was a leak in the roof that actually filled a light switch with water. Imagine my surprise when a live light switch rained on me. Some windows were replaced with plastic to look like glass. Oh, and it failed the radon test too. A mediation system is required.

Some tried to cover up a lot in this house. The outside looked great. The inside looked even better. But he literally polished a turd. I fell for it in the viewing, but our inspector was fantastic. Some lessons don't come cheap. This one cost me over $500. But I guess that's nothing compared to the $20,000+ I think this home needs in hidden repairs. 

Back to searching! 

I think I posted it somewhere in here.  My house has now been uninsured for a month.  The company never bothered to process paperwork needed for the renewal, so my policy was canceled.  I have now called three times post-cancelation to get this taken care of.  Each time, they acknowledged the error, said they had the file, and told me they are expediting the process to have it reinstated within 48 hours.  Later today is the 48 hour cutoff for the latest attempt.  If that once again falls through (and I'm sure it will), I'd imagine that my next phone call will be to a lawyer.

Yes, I know that I should shop around for a new policy.  But I still need them to take care of this so that I don't have any lapse of coverage on my record.  I'm already shopping around.  The one fun thing though is that I got an email last night from one of those automated surveys asking how my customer service experience was.  I can't wait to have some fun with that.

iPhone video shot vertically. Are people just stupid?

My eyes are not aligned one above the other. There is just no f'n reason (99.9% of the time) to shoot it that way.

"Hey, here's a video of this beautiful landscape I want to show you, but you have to look at it with a scuba mask on."  :wallbash:

I think I posted it somewhere in here.  My house has now been uninsured for a month.  The company never bothered to process paperwork needed for the renewal, so my policy was canceled.  I have now called three times post-cancelation to get this taken care of.  Each time, they acknowledged the error, said they had the file, and told me they are expediting the process to have it reinstated within 48 hours.  Later today is the 48 hour cutoff for the latest attempt.  If that once again falls through (and I'm sure it will), I'd imagine that my next phone call will be to a lawyer.

Yes, I know that I should shop around for a new policy.  But I still need them to take care of this so that I don't have any lapse of coverage on my record.  I'm already shopping around.  The one fun thing though is that I got an email last night from one of those automated surveys asking how my customer service experience was.  I can't wait to have some fun with that.

Not surehow they'd react, so it could backfire (though that'd be surprising), have you considered getting your mortgage bank involved? Can't believe they'd be happy to find out the insurance company randomly dropped your policy. Provided they don't take it out on you, going to them would likely be cheaper than a lawyer. And, there really would be results w/in 48 hours.

Speaking of lawyers, my wife's attorney. Jesus, son.

He already doesn't like me because I've dressed him down at least twice in unrelated matters. This is because he's awful. Should be a fun year and a half or so. (Neither party having grounds for divorce per Virginia law, 12 months of seperation is the only way to do it. Then court afterwards, which could, of course, be limited if we can hammer out an agreement beforehand and then just submit that and witness affidavits). The thing in parenthesis probably not happening, because he's a fee-seeking tool poorly advising his client.

iPhone video shot vertically. Are people just stupid?

My eyes are not aligned one above the other. There is just no f'n reason (99.9% of the time) to shoot it that way.

"Hey, here's a video of this beautiful landscape I want to show you, but you have to look at it with a scuba mask on."  :wallbash:

All this talk about flooded basements takes me back to my childhood.  My parents dealt with that for years.  What finally fixed it is that they identified a break in the sanitary sewer that backed up water that ended up in the basement (EW!)  Once they fixed the sewer pipe, no more backups.  The other thing I realized years later when I worked town hall as a summer engineering intern, was that Scajaquada Creek had been re-routed from our neighborhood (and right through my parents' yard) to the other side of George Urban Blvd. before the neighborhood was built; I think there was still some aquifer action going on under the house.

Not surehow they'd react, so it could backfire (though that'd be surprising), have you considered getting your mortgage bank involved? Can't believe they'd be happy to find out the insurance company randomly dropped your policy. Provided they don't take it out on you, going to them would likely be cheaper than a lawyer. And, there really would be results w/in 48 hours.

I'm not really sure what my best approach will be if/when they screw this up yet again.  The only reason I even know it happened is because the mortgage lender sent me a letter saying they had no evidence of me having insurance.  Maybe that's my fault for assuming the renewal went through after they sent me two separate acknowledgements of receiving the form.  The lender letter essentially said that they have to buy insurance for me and I'll need to reimburse them unless I can prove insurance.  I suppose I should fill them in on the situation, if for no other reason than to keep them in the loop.

I actually had to return a similar form yesterday for my car insurance.  So I get the feeling I'll have the same thing happen there, even though I already have the renewed policy in place there.  It makes me wonder if they somehow applied the home owners form to my auto policy by accident.  Either way, its time to start shopping around.  I've cut some expenses in a few other areas lately, so why not try it here too.

I had a situation similar to yours re: car insurance. Took one call to the insurance co. and everything was taken care of. Who are you insured through? Feel free to shame...

Liberty Mutual.  My 48 hour window closes in about an hour.  The next one will be my 4th phone call.

So I have my first experience renting a storage unit. Everything is going along fine and then the guy says that I have to have insurance coverage on the storage unit. It's only $11 a month so I signed the form because I just wanted to get out of there and back to work. So I have a few minutes later to read through the agreement and part of it says that I am NOT required to get insurance on the unit.

I called my insurance company and they say that through my renters agreement I have 10% of that coverage on any belongings stored anywhere else. So now I need to log into my storage unit account and cancel the insurance.

I wonder if the guy at the storage unit company was just stupid or was just trying to add the extra insurance payment on my account because he thought I was stupid.

Which database and what's up?

My one at work. Got the output file to go down from 156k to 39k, and now our editor (Toad) just crashes while running it. Trying to use sqlplus now, but pl/sql doesn't play nice with sqlplus apparently.

tl;dr : Thing works, too big, need other tools. 

ouch that blows

My one at work. Got the output file to go down from 156k to 39k, and now our editor (Toad) just crashes while running it. Trying to use sqlplus now, but pl/sql doesn't play nice with sqlplus apparently.

sed, awk, and grep are your friends. :)