Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

In high school I prided myself on the ability to do almost no work and still get tremendous grades. I graduated top ten while never once opening a textbook and spending two years never doing a single assignment until the period before it was due. That's what screwed me up at this level. I'm doing fine now, I'm just going to have a rough summer studying for my physics GRE when I didn't learn 3 semesters-worth of material very well. 

Sounds familiar. There's a reason I went from engineering to business school.

Similarly, the smartest kid I knew in high school (he got a perfect on the math SAT!) never did any work, still managed a full scholarship to MIT...and flunked out, because he didn't know what to do when he had to actually work.

My 10 year old stepdaughter had an appendectomy on March 7, as hers ruptured.  She was in the hospital for 3 days, then sent home without an antibiotic.  She was fine until this past Saturday, when she started running a 104 fever.  After 5 hours waiting in the ER, she finally got an exam room, and after 3 more hours waiting for a CT scan, they said she had a number of abscesses and needed to transfer her to the children's hospital in Charlotte (we live 30 mins away).  So off we went via ambulance at 4 AM.  

Apparently the surgeon didn't get her cleaned up as good as he thought, and she had 3 abscess clusters, the largest the size of an egg.  She had a drain put in, and I've been staying at the hospital with her all week.  Luckily my office is only 5 minutes away, so I go back and forth during the day. One of the clusters has been drained and eliminated, and now they're working on the other one.

Wow. That's crazy. I couldn't even imagine going through that with one of my kids.

Glad to hear that things seem to be improving for her. Her step dad's dedication and support has surely helped!

Unfortunately, we've become a society of tweets, texts and emails.  No one reads anything longer than two sentences anymore (and sometimes less than that).  It's easier to Google a question about your new car than it is to read the owner's manual.  Oh, and no one believes that rules apply to them; everyone is a special case.  Uh, right....

This douche in the ancestry dot com commercial pisses me off. "ooooo, look at me! I need to be identified by my nationality and their culture and only their culture! I thought I was German so I did all German things, but it turns out I'm not German at all so now I don't do German things, only Scottish things are done by me now!"

What an asshøle.

He's the nationalistic version of that NFL family from Minnesota who started out as a Vikings family......what a bunch of .

I believe this.  Something has changed along the way.  We went from 'what did my son do?' to 'what did you do to my son?'...  I went to a Bishop Timon.  You didn't dare step out of line as the consequences were immediate and brutal (not an exaggeration).  If you did get in trouble, your parents were going to rain down on you a second time that day.

The world is different now.

As George Carlin put it these soft, fruity baby boomers raised an entire generation of soft, fruity kids. As a nation (educationally) we pretty much suck in every category, but our confidence level is off the charts. The sad thing is that people don't even realize it because of things like grade inflation. Getting A's is supposed to be difficult and a bonafide achievement but more and more students are getting A's they don't deserve because I assume it's easier for the teacher/professor to give higher grades than it is to face the onslaught of entitled students and their yuppy parents. After all, Chet and Muffy McBirthright are special, so it's only natural their son Preston and their daughter Penelope and above average as well. They couldn't possibly even be capable of a merely average performance, even though they are likely both dimwits that haven't learned anything. Getting a C used to be considered average but I'd imagine the average (mean, median, or mode) grade now is probably a B+ or even higher these days. Congratulations kids. You're special, just like everybody else.

Time to buy some stock in Brawndo before Idiocracy actually comes to full fruition.

Edited by Drunkard

Just heard that a mother was getting on a plan and she wiped down both her seat and her children's seats with hand sanitizer and also doused their hands in it. The ###### is wrong with people? You know some bacteria are actually good.

True, but at least she didn't (apparently) use any products with antibacterial agents. Those can lead to bacterial resistance.

You know, I wasn't the best student in college, but I would never have tried to pull crap like that. :wacko:

I'll see your "not the best student" and raise you a "I had a 1.8 overall GPA going into my last semester of my senior year needing a 3.0 to graduate" For the record, in the only semester of college I took half serious, I got a 3.4 GPA. I was a lazy womanizing drunk that made Belushi's Animal House character look like a PHD. So much has changed. :ph34r:

So... yeah. Apparently our caretaker is dead. I don't know how, yet, but he was just a kid.

So sad for him and his family. It feels so strange to look at my elderly gramma and think about that boy being dead.

That is awful stuff. Always so unexpected.

Just went to the funeral of one of my colleagues this evening, 56 years old, but one of the best supervisors I had.

Died from a hart attack on monday, he had been sick since last month, went to the hospital for several tests and was supposed to start his chemo this week.

But a blood clot went to his hart, you always say everyone is replaceable on your job, but he was one of few bright spots in an office full of idiots.

The terrorist attack on our airport really ###### us up, but hopefully we can restart on monday.   But seeing you guys worried about me was on of the few bright spots on a really sucky tuesday.

So thank you guys :D

Edited by Huckleberry

Wife just go side swiped in Baltimore City.  City cops were chasing a car and apparently the chasee needed the lane she was occupying.  Cops didn't bother to stop, a call to 911 didn't bring assistance and she just got tired of waiting and drove herself out of the hood.

Wife just go side swiped in Baltimore City. City cops were chasing a car and apparently the chasee needed the lane she was occupying. Cops didn't bother to stop, a call to 911 didn't bring assistance and she just got tired of waiting and drove herself out of the hood.

And from personal experience, much of B-more is da hood.

My 10 year old stepdaughter had an appendectomy on March 7, as hers ruptured.  She was in the hospital for 3 days, then sent home without an antibiotic.  She was fine until this past Saturday, when she started running a 104 fever.  After 5 hours waiting in the ER, she finally got an exam room, and after 3 more hours waiting for a CT scan, they said she had a number of abscesses and needed to transfer her to the children's hospital in Charlotte (we live 30 mins away).  So off we went via ambulance at 4 AM.  

Apparently the surgeon didn't get her cleaned up as good as he thought, and she had 3 abscess clusters, the largest the size of an egg.  She had a drain put in, and I've been staying at the hospital with her all week.  Luckily my office is only 5 minutes away, so I go back and forth during the day. One of the clusters has been drained and eliminated, and now they're working on the other one.  

Sorry. That sucks. I can't tell if most doctors are too arrogant, lazy or overworked not to screw up like this. Maybe all three.

Wish you the best.

Our cat was diagnosed with terminal kidney disease in November, since that time we had been administering daily SQ doses of fluids to keep him going and being himself.  Last Saturday he began showing symptoms again and by Sunday it was clear that it was time to say goodbye.  My wife was a wreck all weekend staying up most of the night holding him and sobbing.  I had never owned a pet before, he was my wife's cat and I married into pet ownership, so although I felt sad about the prospect I was more analytical about the situation and acted as the shoulder for her to cry on.

As we drove to the vet Monday morning my wife holding him in her lap still I was offering words of comfort and support, and when we arrived at the vet and I spoke with the office staff as my wife waited unable to speak....all business.  When they opened the door to the exam room and we walked in it was like I was hit with a ton of bricks, suddenly I was a sobbing mess right alongside my wife.  The process was more difficult than I could have ever imagined, but he went peacefully.

We drove home with his remains and I began digging a hole in the backyard...and thinking.  He was truly a part of our family..he made the move from Buffalo to NC with us 14 years ago, he was there when we got married, when we brought home our newborn children from the hospital, and he was literally right by my side every day for the better part of two years as I recovered from multiple surgeries from an auto accident.  Those life experiences and many more are what hit me like a ton of bricks and bowled the analytical side of me right over when it came time to really say goodbye.  For 16 years he was a part of our family.

The house sure does feel empty this week.

A friend of ours sent this article to us this week, and it pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/03/130303-cat-dog-pet-euthanasia-put-to-sleep/

Edited by Claude_Verret

Our cat was diagnosed with terminal kidney disease in November, since that time we had been administering daily SQ doses of fluids to keep him going and being himself.  Last Saturday he began showing symptoms again and by Sunday it was clear that it was time to say goodbye.  My wife was a wreck all weekend staying up most of the night holding him and sobbing.  I had never owned a pet before, he was my wife's cat and I married into pet ownership, so although I felt sad about the prospect I was more analytical about the situation and acted as the shoulder for her to cry on.

As we drove to the vet Monday morning my wife holding him in her lap still I was offering words of comfort and support, and when we arrived at the vet and I spoke with the office staff as my wife waited unable to speak....all business.  When they opened the door to the exam room and we walked in it was like I was hit with a ton of bricks, suddenly I was a sobbing mess right alongside my wife.  The process was more difficult than I could have ever imagined, but he went peacefully.

We drove home with his remains and I began digging a hole in the backyard...and thinking.  He was truly a part of our family..he made the move from Buffalo to NC with us 14 years ago, he was there when we got married, when we brought home our newborn children from the hospital, and he was literally right by my side every day for the better part of two years as I recovered from multiple surgeries from an auto accident.  Those life experiences and many more are what hit me like a ton of bricks and bowled the analytical side of me right over when it came time to really say goodbye.  For 16 years he was a part of our family.

A friend of ours sent this article to us this week, and it pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/03/130303-cat-dog-pet-euthanasia-put-to-sleep/

Helped my brother put his dog down and yea... walking into the vet is where I lost it too. Sorry for the loss.

Our cat was diagnosed with terminal kidney disease in November, since that time we had been administering daily SQ doses of fluids to keep him going and being himself. Last Saturday he began showing symptoms again and by Sunday it was clear that it was time to say goodbye. My wife was a wreck all weekend staying up most of the night holding him and sobbing. I had never owned a pet before, he was my wife's cat and I married into pet ownership, so although I felt sad about the prospect I was more analytical about the situation and acted as the shoulder for her to cry on.

As we drove to the vet Monday morning my wife holding him in her lap still I was offering words of comfort and support, and when we arrived at the vet and I spoke with the office staff as my wife waited unable to speak....all business. When they opened the door to the exam room and we walked in it was like I was hit with a ton of bricks, suddenly I was a sobbing mess right alongside my wife. The process was more difficult than I could have ever imagined, but he went peacefully.

We drove home with his remains and I began digging a hole in the backyard...and thinking. He was truly a part of our family..he made the move from Buffalo to NC with us 14 years ago, he was there when we got married, when we brought home our newborn children from the hospital, and he was literally right by my side every day for the better part of two years as I recovered from multiple surgeries from an auto accident. Those life experiences and many more are what hit me like a ton of bricks and bowled the analytical side of me right over when it came time to really say goodbye. For 16 years he was a part of our family.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Two Friday's ago we did a similar thing with Poopie. My wife was a mess as he was hers before he was mine. I let her make the decision. I promised her that he'd go to heaven and would be waiting for her one day to thank her for the compassion. I guess we had an easier time than you guys as we had the vet come and do it right at the house. We lost his brother in November and he had given up on life afterwards. It's hard. Best wishes for your family at this time.

Very sorry, Claude. Pets aren't just pets...they're family.

I had to put down my dog about 7 years ago - she had plenty of health issues and we decided with the vet that it was time. It was - by far - the hardest thing I've ever had to do. She was really the first pet I ever had (we had a dog when I was really young, so I barely remember him) so it hit me pretty hard. We had another dog and a cat at the same time, but the house still felt different. Probably the hardest part was that we put her down on a Friday afternoon. I was a mini-wreck for the next day or so (I would've been completely unproductive at work the next day) and it was all we could think about over the weekend.

I'm sorry, Claude and iTInSn. Those little fuzzballs are family, for sure.

I think the hardest I've ever cried was burying one of my cats as a kid. I said goodbye to a warm, living creature as my parents took him to the vet, and an hour later just remember being in awe at the difference. Well sh!t, now I'm crying at work. 

Our current fuzz better live forever- I doubt d4rk or I could handle that sad duty. My thoughts are with you guys. 

So sorry, Claude.  :(  Same thing here when I had to put down a family pet that I'd never felt close to and had been out of my life for several years back in 2006... was totally fine until we were at the vet and it was happening.  Cherish the memories and know that you will see them again one day.

I'm cooped up on vacation taking care of a sick granddaughter and I'm bored out of my mind watching paw patrol and bubble guppies. I've also posted more today than I probably have in years. Coincidence?

Thanks folks for the kind words. Here is a SS appropriate pic of the old buddy. We put this chair out on our porch when entertaining one weekend and of course he commandeered it, forcing us to keep it there for several weeks as his perch to bird watch and sleep.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1459440045956.jpg

Claude, 

So sorry for your loss.

We have had two cats in our lifetime together.  Both passed away at home.  It's never easy, but at least we didn't have to go to the vet that last time.  

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.  Also, I firmly believe that your buddy was welcomed by our Jake and Sam and many others.  They are all happy and playing and free of whatever ailments they had.

=====

I thought I had some stuff to complain about, but as it turns out, they can wait.

I'm cooped up on vacation taking care of a sick granddaughter and I'm bored out of my mind watching paw patrol and bubble guppies. I've also posted more today than I probably have in years. Coincidence?

ahaha I feel your pain. Spending hours making those characters lip synch for games, replaying their peppy little voices saying things over and over, can drive one mad. However, of all the kids shows out there, those are two of the least painful to deal with.

Prepare to have the Bubble Guppies theme song permanently etched into your brain.