Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Did the engine overheat? Typically it occurs because the heads in the engine warp from overheating and the gaskets are no longer sealed properly. 2nd reason is the gasket material just broke down, either way it's a 75 dollar piece of synthetic felt looking stuff that keeps your oil and coolant from mixing. 

You need to take the engine apart to see them, so it's very labor intensive, then see if the gasket can just be replaced without the heads being machined down or have new ones ordered. 

Why it's taking that long is a mystery but it's a PITA job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Did the engine overheat? Typically it occurs because the heads in the engine warp from overheating and the gaskets are no longer sealed properly. 2nd reason is the gasket material just broke down, either way it's a 75 dollar piece of synthetic felt looking stuff that keeps your oil and coolant from mixing. 

You need to take the engine apart to see them, so it's very labor intensive, then see if the gasket can just be replaced without the heads being machined down or have new ones ordered. 

Why it's taking that long is a mystery but it's a PITA job. 

No one has qualified mechs now is my best guess,

And thank you for the explanation--this car is less than 5 yrs and fewer than 40K. 

But it's at the dealer now, and I took full advantage of the fact that I had to Uber home anyway.  You get it....

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

The Thursday thread has been unlocked all day 

Gotta bump it or something?  CTRL-F yielded nothing on my front page, which is at least 25 topics.

Edited by Eleven

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And thank you for the explanation--this car is less than 5 yrs and fewer than 40K. 

But it's at the dealer now, and I took full advantage of the fact that I had to Uber home anyway.  You get it....

Based on the age and mileage, they’re going to take as much time as they possibly can in hopes of finding the smallest thing to avoid any warranty coverage. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Gotta bump it or something?  CTRL-F yielded nothing on my front page, which is at least 25 topics.

Good thing it's still under warranty.  With the labor, even if it's just the gasket that needs to be replaced and the heads and block are fine it'd be at least $1k.  Could be a full short block replacement in a worst case.  $$$.

I retired from a major car company. The industry is putting out poor quality vehicles while overcharging the public. Integrity went down the tubes once Covid hit and they lost money. Let China hold them hostage on chips. Bad 3,rd party parts.,A disgrace as a whole.New car inventory is so low.

I would check reviews on Edmunds before buying anything. Not KBB . Consumers is only good for used cars and their repair records. I wouldn't buy a thing from my former company. I know which cars last . 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Good thing it's still under warranty.  With the labor, even if it's just the gasket that needs to be replaced and the heads and block are fine it'd be at least $1k.  Could be a full short block replacement in a worst case.  $$$.

Well, I've been threatening to "blow a gasket" for decades now, and I guess I finally did.  I blew my cool.  I flipped my lid!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

this car is less than 5 yrs and fewer than 40K. 

Unless you haven't touched your oil since you bought the car this should be under warranty I would think?  A lot of cars have 60-100k powertrain warranties.  Still... that sucks.  Sorry this happened.

15 hours ago, spndnchz said:

The Thursday thread has been unlocked all day 

It most assuredly was not unlocked when I jumped in here around 11am yesterday to complain about uncovering a yellow jackets nest while I was working on my deck.  Fantastic getting one inside my shirt and getting bit 3 times...

Also.. refrigerator shopping.. I'd like to find one refrigerator where there weren't so many reviews stating massive failures.  It's like the technology that we've had forever is suddenly hard to figure out.  (I know, cheap materials, over engineering, etc.)

So.. at least I got to complain on Friday...

Edited by LTS

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'd like to find one refrigerator where there weren't so many reviews stating massive failures. 

The key is to get the simplest configuration possible:  Two doors (no fancy cafe doors) or a door for the fridge and a single drawer for the freezer.  If you want an icemaker, make sure it's actually in the freezer (some of the new ones physically place them in the refrigerator which is simply dumb).

Also, look at the reviews:  How old was the appliance at failure?  I think there are a fair amount of "infant mortality" failures that emerge almost immediately so the appliance is covered under warranty.

• Like (+1) 1

There's one full service gas station here and I like to patronize it. But the older dude will not listen when I ask him to not top it off. I pay with plastic so I see no reason to end up with an even dollar amount. 14 year old car so I guess it really doesn't matter anymore. Not a good practice tho.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There's one full service gas station here and I like to patronize it. But the older dude will not listen when I ask him to not top it off. I pay with plastic so I see no reason to end up with an even dollar amount. 14 year old car so I guess it really doesn't matter anymore. Not a good practice tho.

If you want a job done right, do it yourself.

- Terry Pegula, on Buffalo Sabres personnel decisions

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

It most assuredly was not unlocked when I jumped in here around 11am yesterday to complain about uncovering a yellow jackets nest while I was working on my deck.  Fantastic getting one inside my shirt and getting bit 3 times...

Thanks to google I now know that yellow jackets both bit and sting.  So how do you know the difference between the two?

My daughter has a flat tire in our driveway. So I called the 1-800 # with the extended warranty for a simple request to come put the spare on so I can take it to the corner tire store to fix.

I am now answering more questions on my cell phone than a Jeopardy contestant answers in a month. WTF ? Just come and change the ***** tire ! 

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Still Spectrum, really? Go F yourself. And as far as college football, the scheduling is an absolute joke. They really can't manage to get more than 1 matchup per weekend between 2 top 25 teams? 

Doesn't college football still do the "the first four weeks are sacrificial games for minor schools to get some exposure and the top-50 teams can all be 4-0"?