Owen Power Leads the League

inkman

• inkman changed the title to Owen Power Leads the League

Is Power's contract one of Adam's worst moves so far? I imagine it's too early to tell and I think he's going to become a really good defensemen. I worry about the psychological aspect for Power and the expectations to perform up to the value of his contract. I really hope that aspect of it doesn't impair his development.

• Agree 1

That's not a bad look for young Power.

I've heard people here and elsewhere ask: What is it that Power does well?

Well, he does this thing well. And he keeps good company in so doing. The ability to complete long stretch passes is indicative of some serious skill with the puck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

He also skates well out of the zone. He is very deceptive puck handler exiting the zone and through the neutral zone. Not many D out there can skate like he can with the puck on his stick. It's that part of the game that made him a number 1 over all. It's the front of the net part that needs work. Better positioning and decisive play. Pretty sure that will improve over time. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He needs a ton of help rounding out his game in front of his own net.

Corrected. Try not being soft. 

Still cannot believe they gave him that contract after like 80-85 total games. Insanity. That's what bridge deals are for. 

Needs a new coach in the worst way. 

• Like (+1) 2

Yes, this isn't shocking. This is the thing the whole plan is based on. The quick outlet. You make the quick outlet you don't have to play D in your own end. That's the theory, that's the plan. Now watch how that falls apart for teams in the playoffs when they get aggressively forechecked. 

But yes, Power is good at that. He sees the ice well and makes that decision quickly and relatively accurately. Where he falls apart is in his own end when he doesn't have the puck. Dealing with that (and building muscle) is supposed to be what you do to develop D men. I see no evidence we do it though at all. 

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Still cannot believe they gave him that contract after like 80-85 total games. Insanity. That's what bridge deals are for. 

I'm guessing you would want to trade for Parayko to pair with him? 

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Power does a lot of good things with the puck on his stick.

He needs help rounding out his game in front of his own net.

6 hours ago, Night Train said:

A new coach isn’t going to turn him into Chris Pronger.  He’s an offensive dman.  A very good one at that.  The issue is that’s all the Sabres have. Offensive defenseman, minus Muel who is never healthy.  They need someone else to be their Pronger. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

I thought this was interesting:

ES points

• Adam Fox 37
  • Owen Power 26

Hits

• Adam Fox 43
  • Owen Power 43

Blocked shots

• Adam Fox 116
  • Owen Power 109

giveaways/60

• Adam Fox 1.18
  • Owen Power 1.29

penalties taken/60

• Adam Fox 0.67
  • Owen Power. 0.36

ES ice time

• Adam Fox 18:26
  • Owen Power 19.:29

Possession

• Adam Fox 53.7
  • Owen Power 51.8

Goals for %

• Adam Fox 54.4
  • Owen Power 54.2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, nucci said:

what a ridiculous stat. Analytics are too much....what about high danger stuff?

Like I said, he’s a good offensive defenseman.  If I can find some other metrics, I’ll post them. 

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Here are some things people should know about contracts before they dig in about Owen Power:

• This year he had the salary cap hit of a 7th defenceman ($916K)
  • This year, the median 1st-pairing defenceman cap hit was about $6.5M
  • Next year he will be paid like an above-average 1st-pairing defenceman ($8.35M)
  • Next year, the median 1st-pairing defenceman cap hit will be between $7-7.5M (depending on free agent signings)
  • Every year for the next 7, Power's contract will likely be passed by a handful of players until at the end of his contract he will be getting paid like a good 2nd-pairing defenceman

Here are some things people should know about performance before they dig in about Owen Power:

• he produced total points like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he produced ES points like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he ate ice time like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he threw hits like a borderline 2nd/3rd pairing defenceman
  • he blocked shots like a 2nd-pairing defenceman
  • he avoided giveaways like a 2nd-pairing defenceman
  • he forced takeaways like a 2nd-pairing defenceman
  • he avoided taking penalties like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the shot attempt possession numbers of a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the goals for % numbers of a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the expected goals for numbers of a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the expected goals against numbers of a 2nd-pairing defenceman

And by 1st, 2nd and 3rd, I mean he ranked in the top, middle or bottom 3rd of the league's  defencemen who played at least 60 games.

He's also apparently the NHL's best stretch passer but I could not find any stats on zone exits created or prevented.

He was one of just 6 U22 defencemen to play 70 NHL games this year.

And he is just a baby! Great post!

Thank you!

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Here are some things people should know about contracts before they dig in about Owen Power:

• This year he had the salary cap hit of a 7th defenceman ($916K)
  • This year, the median 1st-pairing defenceman cap hit was about $6.5M
  • Next year he will be paid like an above-average 1st-pairing defenceman ($8.35M)
  • Next year, the median 1st-pairing defenceman cap hit will be between $7-7.5M (depending on free agent signings)
  • Every year for the next 7, Power's contract will likely be passed by a handful of players until at the end of his contract he will be getting paid like a good 2nd-pairing defenceman

Here are some things people should know about performance before they dig in about Owen Power:

• he produced total points like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he produced ES points like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he ate ice time like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he threw hits like a borderline 2nd/3rd pairing defenceman
  • he blocked shots like a 2nd-pairing defenceman
  • he avoided giveaways like a 2nd-pairing defenceman
  • he forced takeaways like a 2nd-pairing defenceman
  • he avoided taking penalties like a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the shot attempt possession numbers of a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the goals for % numbers of a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the expected goals for numbers of a 1st-pairing defenceman
  • he had the expected goals against numbers of a 2nd-pairing defenceman

And by 1st, 2nd and 3rd, I mean he ranked in the top, middle or bottom 3rd of the league's  defencemen who played at least 60 games.

He's also apparently the NHL's best stretch passer but I could not find any stats on zone exits created or prevented.

He was one of just 6 U22 defencemen to play 70 NHL games this year.

And he did much of it paired with Joker, not with Dahlin.  

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I get that people want every first overall pick to be McDavid ... or even Dahlin, but I really don't get the hate toward Power. He is good. He likely will be very good soon (assuming one does not think he is already) ... The Fox comparison numbers are great, @dudacek - and he is 26, while Mr. Number One Flow and person of @inkman's dreams is still just 22! I love Dahlin, but his 2nd year in the league and his age 21/22 season are not that much better than Power's.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I guess I get that people want every first overall pick to be McDavid ... or even Dahlin, but I really don't get the hate toward Power. He is good. He likely will be very good soon (assuming one does not think he is already) ... The Fox comparison numbers are great, @dudacek - and he is 26, while Mr. Number One Flow and person of @inkman's dreams is still just 22! I love Dahlin, but his 2nd year in the league and his age 21/22 season are not that much better than Power's.

The hate is really minimal.  Folks can’t criticize without being labeled a hater.  SMH

My only complaint is that he really works to avoid contact.  Before anyone responds with something, something, Pronger, something.  The vast majority of us mentioning his avoidance of contact are not expecting a banger.  It’s simply that, were he to use his physical frame to wedge and trap guys along the boards or box out forwards in the front of the net, his play would improve even more. It’s such an obvious gap in his game.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

The hate is really minimal.  Folks can’t criticize without being labeled a hater.  SMH

My only complaint is that he really works to avoid contact.  Before anyone responds with something, something, Pronger, something.  The vast majority of us mentioning his avoidance of contact are not expecting a banger.  It’s simply that, were he to use his physical frame to wedge and trap guys along the boards or box out forwards in the front of the net, his play would improve even more. It’s such an obvious gap in his game.

Quinn and Benson are what I need from Power. Use your body to prepare space or trap/deflect opposing players. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1