Owen Power Leads the League

inkman

also leads league in fewest hits per minute played. Tied for 2nd for softest defenseman in front of own net.

He has taken massive step back this year.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I like Power more than Dahlin.  

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

if you are being serious, no take you ever make going forward can be taken seriously

• Agree 1

Power looked like he belonged in his short time when he first arrived, not once did I think of him as a liability out there.

Fast forward to this season and it was clear as day he struggled with physicality, turnovers especially in our own zone plus he never really seemed comfortable or confident back there.

I really hope he works on his overall game because he has the size and skating ability to be elite but so do so many out there that haven’t made it. He’s still young and has time so I haven’t given up hope yet!

Edited by GoPuckYourself

Last night I went back to a topic from January 2020 discussing the merits of trading Rasmus Dahlin - then in his second season. As I expected there were very fascinating parallels to the Owen Power discussions. Worth a look if you have some time to kill. And my apologies if there is a way to insert a link directly to it - I just don’t know how to do it.

What’s also crazy are the comments about deficiencies in roster construction that still exist four years later.

5 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Last night I went back to a topic from January 2020 discussing the merits of trading Rasmus Dahlin - then in his second season. As I expected there were very fascinating parallels to the Owen Power discussions. Worth a look if you have some time to kill. And my apologies if there is a way to insert a link directly to it - I just don’t know how to do it.

What’s also crazy are the comments about deficiencies in roster construction that still exist four years later.

In the right corner of posts there's 3 horizontal dots. Click them and you'll get a share option which gives you a direct link to any post. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

In the right corner of posts there's 3 horizontal dots. Click them and you'll get a share option which gives you a direct link to any post. 

Thanks. Looks like I can link an individual  post but not the thread.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:23 AM, GoPuckYourself said:

Power looked like he belonged in his short time when he first arrived, not once did I think of him as a liability out there.

Fast forward to this season and it was clear as day he struggled with physicality, turnovers especially in our own zone plus he never really seemed comfortable or confident back there.

I really hope he works on his overall game because he has the size and skating ability to be elite but so do so many out there that haven’t made it. He’s still young and has time so I haven’t given up hope yet!

I still think Power has 2 issues right now in his game:

-He struggles with confidence.  When the Sabres are playing 'lesser' teams or 'non-superstar players' he doesn't have this. But its like...when you put an elite player on the ice, he gets a little awe-struck. Now I know one might say against elite talent on the ice ANYONE will not do as well simply because the players on the other team are that good. But, its a little beyond that.  I have noticed that with the puck on his stick carrying it out of the zone, he will carry it a bit more, or look to make a better pass most of the time, but when there is a 'superstar' on the other team on the ice, he will get rid of the puck quicker, or make a really quick, short, sometimes clumsy pass. The key is, that is even when he isn't being pressured. He doesn't seem to want the puck as much in those situations.  This is anectdotal, I have no stats to back it up but it seems to happen enough that I notice it.

-Physically, he seems to struggle more against smaller/faster players. Austin Matthews is great, but not exactly a small nimble speedster. I don't seem to remember him really getting 'turned inside out' by Matthews over and over.  But its the small guys, the quick, darting/water-bug type skaters he doesn't handle much.  He has the size, an the reach where I'm sure he can and will learn to denend them better, but he isn't there yet.

So again, I dont' have any stats to back this up, but from watching him play, its just the 2 things I think he needs to work on the most...from just observation and my own personal 'eye test'.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/11/2024 at 8:38 PM, Thorny said:

It’s not even leadership, it’s more appropriately described as simply experience.

Why is being a young team considered a significant positive by some? Because you expect young players to get better. Right. So older players are better players, generally. So perhaps icing more older players would lead to better performance. It’s really that simple. We need a good coach to help with that progression, but even if you get the help that progression isn’t instant, and it can’t be avoided. The experience has to take place. The idea seems to be to more less just wait on it.

So, by all means, change the coach. A good one will help that next stage become realized. But we are still talking in terms of in undefinable future if we aren’t willing to add more experienced players to the roster in the now 

Adding experience is something that needs to be done, but done in a certain way.  You have added experienced guys to this roster over the entire length of the drought, and it hasn't 'worked out'.  You added Johnson this year, with a ton of experience (winning) and pedigree.  Taylor Hall had experience. Laugh if you will, but Cody Eakin had played for 4 previous teams, was a multiple time high-teen to low 20 goal guy, regarded as responsible defensively, and had almost 600 games of NHL experience (including multiple playoff series). Eric Staal was brought in. There are many other examples.  BUT, There is a difference between bringing in a Veteran, a 'decent' Veteran, or an actuall GOOD veteran.  Those guys may not have been awful, or they had decent resumes, but they weren't "good".

The Sabres have had their share of Vets at the end of their careers just holding on, and a few Vets that were 'decent'.  What they haven't had is GOOD vets in the middle/prime of their career.

The problem many of us don't want to accept is....if those guys are free agents, Buffalo is WAY down on their list of places to go.  If they are available for trade, MOST Of those guys have/may have no trade/no movement clauses and Buffalo is on that list.

Wishing the Sabres to get them, or yelling on a message board that this GM is awful becuause he won't get them...that doesn't make it happen.

You don't just want veterans for the sake of having veterans. Been there, done that, you aren't getting the 'right' guys.  To get the ones that matter, they have to WANT to come here.  As much as many don't like to admit it, that is the challenge, and WANTING Adams to just 'get one' isn't going to make it happen. Adams actually WANTING to get one won't make it happen.  Firing Adams and bringing in a more experienced GM isn't going to make it happen.

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Let's bring up all the posts about the Sabres passing the aging Bruins and Pens and the mismanaged Isles too.

And how many Norrises Dahlin would have by now.

Well, at least we have fun around here

47 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I still Power has 2 issues right now in his game:

-He struggles with confidence.  When the Sabres are playing 'lesser' teams or 'non-superstar players' he doesn't have this. But its like...when you put an elite player on the ice, he gets a little awe-struck. Now I know one might say against elite talent on the ice ANYONE will not do as well simply because the players on the other team are that good. But, its a little beyond that.  I have noticed that with the puck on his stick carrying it out of the zone, he will carry it a bit more, or look to make a better pass most of the time, but when there is a 'superstar' on the other team on the ice, he will get rid of the puck quicker, or make a really quick, short, sometimes clumsy pass. The key is, that is even when he isn't being pressured. He doesn't seem to want the puck as much in those situations.  This is anectdotal, I have no stats to back it up but it seems to happen enough that I notice it.

-Physically, he seems to struggle more against smaller/faster players. Austin Matthews is great, but not exactly a small nimble speedster. I don't seem to remember him really getting 'turned inside out' by Matthews over and over.  But its the small guys, the quick, darting/water-bug type skaters he doesn't handle much.  He has the size, an the reach where I'm sure he can and will learn to denend them better, but he isn't there yet.

So again, I dont' have any stats to back this up, but from watching him play, its just the 2 things I think he needs to work on the most...from just observation and my own personal 'eye test'.

I haven't particularly noticed the "against stars" thing, but I'll watch for it, and it fits.

Owen Power still across as a baby in terms of his maturity. He comes across as a responsible, polite, kinda nerdy introvert whose mom and dad always loved him, and is quitting his job packing groceries to head off to college.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Just use the first post in the thread. 

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/27744-is-there-a-rasmus-dahlin-blockbuster-trade-to-be-had/?do=findComment&comment=1243619

Again, thanks. For anyone who may be interested in the similarities. Not intended to throw anyone under the bus. Just suggesting not to judge Power prematurely. And I, too, am frustrated with his current deficiencies

Power will be an elite offensive dman. He will never drive people through the boards or drop the gloves and demolish someone. If that is what you want him to be that is your problem.

He needs a coach to help him with blocking out and clearing the front of the net. He would benefit greatly from a more simple, structured defensive system.

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Adding experience is something that needs to be done, but done in a certain way.  You have added experienced guys to this roster over the entire length of the drought, and it hasn't 'worked out'.  You added Johnson this year, with a ton of experience (winning) and pedigree.  Taylor Hall had experience. Laugh if you will, but Cody Eakin had played for 4 previous teams, was a multiple time high-teen to low 20 goal guy, regarded as responsible defensively, and had almost 600 games of NHL experience (including multiple playoff series). Eric Staal was brought in. There are many other examples.  BUT, There is a difference between bringing in a Veteran, a 'decent' Veteran, or an actuall GOOD veteran.  Those guys may not have been awful, or they had decent resumes, but they weren't "good".

The Sabres have had their share of Vets at the end of their careers just holding on, and a few Vets that were 'decent'.  What they haven't had is GOOD vets in the middle/prime of their career.

The problem many of us don't want to accept is....if those guys are free agents, Buffalo is WAY down on their list of places to go.  If they are available for trade, MOST Of those guys have/may have no trade/no movement clauses and Buffalo is on that list.

Wishing the Sabres to get them, or yelling on a message board that this GM is awful becuause he won't get them...that doesn't make it happen.

You don't just want veterans for the sake of having veterans. Been there, done that, you aren't getting the 'right' guys.  To get the ones that matter, they have to WANT to come here.  As much as many don't like to admit it, that is the challenge, and WANTING Adams to just 'get one' isn't going to make it happen. Adams actually WANTING to get one won't make it happen.  Firing Adams and bringing in a more experienced GM isn't going to make it happen.

“Aptitude” being included in my use of “experience” I felt went without saying.

I guess it wasn’t clear cause the point I was drawing was that I’m NOT interested in “leadership”. I want to draw a distinction between leadership and experience. I don’t want the Johnsons and the Eakins that was my central point. I’m not looking for intangible “leadership” qualities that are overblown in general. That’s the reason I used *experience*: simply referring to players that have already developed into their skill sets and abilities Ie better, established players 

the comp I was drawing was between young, inexperienced players and older, more experienced and developed players.

not one between players with leadership abilities or without 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Most don’t have NMC, I don’t know how many times i need to correct this. You can keep saying it, but it doesn’t make it true 

~ 75% of players don’t have NMCs. The league isn’t divided into the good 25% and the bad 75%. There are oodles and oodles of options through trade if you are also adequately utilizing the drafting and FA components of team building 

Edit - also, can you lay off your gaslighting routine for one day? Yikes.“Yelling about it on a message board isn’t going to make a difference, the smart fans accept it can’t have been better”. Stahp. It’s a *league relative* comparison. Adams and the Sabres have been bad *relative to their peers*. If you want to cry about how all those other teams are operating under different standards than we are, even when it’s not true, because it helps you sleep better, knock yourself out. But please, please save your *utterly* nonsensical “look, you just don’t get how hard it is” take for people who have no interest in intelligent hockey conversation 

Edited by Thorny

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Most don’t have NMC, I don’t know how many times i need to correct this. You can keep saying it, but it doesn’t make it true 

~ 75% of players don’t have NMCs. The league isn’t divided into the good 25% and the bad 75%. There are oodles and oodles of options through trade if you are also adequately utilizing the drafting and FA components of team building 

Edit - also, can you lay off your gaslighting routine for one day? Yikes.“Yelling about it on a message board isn’t going to make a difference, the smart fans accept it can’t have been better”. Stahp. It’s a *league relative* comparison. Adams and the Sabres have been bad *relative to their peers*. If you want to cry about how all those other teams are operating under different standards than we are, even when it’s not true, because it helps you sleep better, knock yourself out. But please, please save your *utterly* nonsensical “look, you just don’t get how hard it is” take for people who have no interest in intelligent hockey conversation 

Look in the mirror buddy.  Personally, the 'gaslighting' you are bringing up, it happens to me in responses a lot more than I dish it out.

Some people...like you...I just don't get. Again, look in the mirror a bit before you post, you may see the very thing you are complaining about.

Oh, and you must be SO ANXIOUS to get that last paragraph in that you didn't even take the time to understand the very part of my post you are complaining about. I was talking about no trade/movement clauses not for veterans..but for vets who are Good/VERY good players.  The very point of my post was you can get the type of vets the sabres have been getting but they need BETTER ones. Adams has brought up HIMSELF (and media following the team) that it IS an issue getting some GOOD players to come here. 

Let me borrow your own words....You can keep SYING it, but that doesn't make it UNTRUE.

Ones that are going to trade significant assets for, and a greater percentage of those have no trade/movement clauses. Oh, yeah, you totally ignored the part where I also included free agents (good ones) who a no movement clause isn't involved, but still have the choice of whether they want to come here or not.

I guess you maybe were tripping over your soapbox in the time you should have been putting both of those points together.  

Its tiring for me having people come at me without even taking an entire post into context, or tell me how to post or not to post based on their preferences, when I routinely get yelled at/swore at in some other posts for simply not laying rose petals at the feet of other posters who disagree with me. You guys got to grow up a bit with attacking other posters and the language you use, unless you want it right back at you. Yes, that applies to me also, I get it, but it applies to everyone else too.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Look in the mirror buddy.  Personally, the 'gaslighting' you are bringing up, it happens to me in responses a lot more than I dish it out.

Some people...like you...I just don't get. Again, look in the mirror a bit before you post, you may see the very thing you are complaining about.

Oh, and you must be SO ANXIOUS to get that last paragraph in that you didn't even take the time to understand the very part of my post you are complaining about. I was talking about no trade/movement clauses not for veterans..but for vets who are Good/VERY good players.  The very point of my post was you can get the type of vets the sabres have been getting but they need BETTER ones. Adams has brought up HIMSELF (and media following the team) that it IS an issue getting some GOOD players to come here. 

Let me borrow your own words....You can keep SYING it, but that doesn't make it UNTRUE.

Ones that are going to trade significant assets for, and a greater percentage of those have no trade/movement clauses. Oh, yeah, you totally ignored the part where I also included free agents (good ones) who a no movement clause isn't involved, but still have the choice of whether they want to come here or not.

I guess you maybe were tripping over your soapbox in the time you should have been putting both of those points together.  

Its tiring for me having people come at me without even taking an entire post into context, or tell me how to post or not to post based on their preferences, when I routinely get yelled at/swore at in some other posts for simply not laying rose petals at the feet of other posters who disagree with me. You guys got to grow up a bit with attacking other posters and the language you use, unless you want it right back at you. Yes, that applies to me also, I get it, but it applies to everyone else too.

Dude, re: your last paragraph: you quoted ME. I didn’t “come at you.”

I respect your overall posting contributions. I’m just telling you outright not to waste your time: if you respond to me with a big long write-up about how it’s “harder than people think it is” - it’s misplaced. Misplaced based on who you are responding to. I do not agree with your assessment and I ESPECIALLY do not agree I don’t have an understanding for the difficulties doing it.

Calling into question my understanding of the way the NHL works.

If you want to post to the cows come home about how “people are complaining on message boards and they just don’t get it, it’s so much harder than they think” that’s fine! but you *specifically quoted me* lol. I’m just saying: save it.