Lindy Ruff Fired as Devils HC

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Mango said:

At the very least he was very productive running a team built on efficient economics like this one. And Lindy is a respected hockey man across the league. There is something to say about both being positives. Is he the best option? No....

But is anybody else taking the job with Adams/Terry dictating what they can and cannot do? Also no.

A big part of what this franchise needs is somebody to separate Terry from any actual personnel/staffing decisions. A real life hockey professional to sit on top of the Sabres hockey throne. If Terry has the trust of Lindy the way he does Beane I could also get behind him as POHO. Which would likely include clearing house and moving on from Adams and Donnie.

Same questions as above. Are there others you would maybe like more? Sure. But would they get the job? Probably not. 

The problem with the bold is that Terry loves Adams, and he fired Lindy.   

Lindy is looking at the worst hockey organization in NHL history in Buffalo, all since he left, and he knows exactly why.  Lindy is a Sabres - he played there, coached there, he showed passion in his work making him very popular,  and he was a huge part of the community for a long time.   Think he has any reason to respect Terry?   Think Terry would not sense that?  

Lindy cannot waltz in and be Beane,  Adams already is.

Lindy cannot be POHO, Adams is the guy Terry wants to talk to , with no one in between.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I would like him back, just to kick some fire into that room.

8i0m2x.jpg

3 hours ago, Rip Titwide said:

My memory may be playing tricks on me but wasn't Ruff actually interviewed or at least had a discussion with Buffalo before the official hiring of Meatballs?

Nope.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I honestly believe he would make a good POHO that even Pegula may allow. In part because I doubt Ruff would demand a non-Pegula presence clause in his contract. 

At minimum I’d offer him an advisory role of some kind seeing as he still has a house here and still loves the area.

If I'm bringin' him back, I'm puttin' him behind the bench.

40 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

The corpse of Jimmy Griffin for Mayor!!!!

image.png.5ddfc3bdacc2ffe3025ef474f5035351.png

At least the roads would be plowed quickly, amirite?

No wait, I'm remembering that wrong.... the Buffalonians would be plowed, but that's just about as good.

• Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No wait, I'm remembering that wrong.... the Buffalonians would be plowed, but that's just about as good.

Blizzard of ‘77 - his advice was to enjoy a “six pack”.  Buffalo through and through. 

4 hours ago, Rip Titwide said:

My memory may be playing tricks on me but wasn't Ruff actually interviewed or at least had a discussion with Buffalo before the official hiring of Meatballs?

My recollection is that there was a report after Housley was fired, that Ruff would have interest in returning to Buffalo.  He was an assistant with the Rangers at the time. I don't think he was seriously considered by Botterill, who hired Krueger.

The front office failed here this year as well. We got crap goaltending and defense the first half of the year and look where we are. Granted the goaltending and defense has greatly improved lately but it is way too late now. I'm not a Granato fan but much of this years failures should be laid at the feet of KA. 

I've  always liked Ruff. Didn't want to see him go. This team needs a swift kick in the butt. And he could get it done. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Blizzard of ‘77 - his advice was to enjoy a “six pack”.  Buffalo through and through. 

I know, thus my reference to Buffalonians being plowed.  I was still living in Cheektowaga back then.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The problem with the bold is that Terry loves Adams, and he fired Lindy.   

Lindy is looking at the worst hockey organization in NHL history in Buffalo, all since he left, and he knows exactly why.  Lindy is a Sabres - he played there, coached there, he showed passion in his work making him very popular,  and he was a huge part of the community for a long time.   Think he has any reason to respect Terry?   Think Terry would not sense that?  

Lindy cannot waltz in and be Beane,  Adams already is.

Lindy cannot be POHO, Adams is the guy Terry wants to talk to , with no one in between.  

I don't see Lindy being hired in any senior capacity because he won't be a yes man for Pegula. He would stick to his guns and Terry don't like that. So unless Terry wants to go retire in Florida and leave it in someone else's hands, it'll never happen. 

6 hours ago, Rip Titwide said:

During the Krueger Search supposedly.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres should reach out to Lindy Ruff right now as the next Sabres head coach and fire Don Granato immediately in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You think the Sabres want to make the playoffs?

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You’ve misremembered a couple of things.  He wasn’t Mayor until ‘78.  I’m pretty sure he uttered the famous “stay home and drink a 6 pack” instructions during the Blizzard of ‘85.

• Like (+1) 5

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It's quite a day indeed when I find myself enthusiastically endorsing a post generated by discount AI.

But I would swap DG out for Lindy in a heartbeat.

BTW:  Lindy got the Devils to a franchise-record 112 pts last season and their first playoff advancement since 2012.  Then he lost 2 of his top 4 D last summer and he lost his #1D (Dougie Hamilton) for the season on Dec. 1.  His best player, Jack Hughes, has missed 16 out of 61 games with injury, they've only gotten 28 pts out of major acquisition Timo Meier, and they've gotten crappy goaltending all year.  And they're 1 under DeLuca .500 with 21 games left.

He can still bring it.  In fact, I freaking guarantee that if the Sabres fire DG and bring him in, they will make the playoffs next year.

Post of the month for this part alone.

I'm not convinced about the rest of it, but I'd be willing to give Ruff a job with the Sabres - can hockey teams have a 'bench boss' like in MLB ?

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Post of the month for this part alone.

I'm not convinced about the rest of it, but I'd be willing to give Ruff a job with the Sabres - can hockey teams have a 'bench boss' like in MLB ?

I'm certainly open to a different veteran coach with a successful track record, but I don't know which guy meeting that bill is available, willing to come here and better than Lindy.

I am not OK with bringing back DG.

Would you rather bring DG back, or make Lindy the HC?

• Awesome! (+1) 1