Ten points out, two games in hand, play Tampa last game of season and some of the teams ahead of are slumping. Is it really that impossible?

tom webster

I know, I’ve shared my frustration with management and how this season has unfolded ad nauseum. I also get that it’s a long shot. I just don’t think it’s necessarily over.

I will not be satisfied with a valiant run to ninth place. I blame KA for mishandling the last two years. I’m not wavering in my belief that they could have done a lot better but UPL has been a revelation and they are not as bad as some would have you believe 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This team loves giving fans hope And we fall for it every single year.

This! The oldest trick in the Sabres playbook! The late season rally!

There’s a reason they say “you can’t make the playoffs in November, but you can certainly miss them”.

That should be painted on the freakin’ locker room floor!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I guess while they are mathematically possible I will hope for the playoffs. They have a tough schedule ahead of them.

I think the important games are vs Detroit. They can reel them back by winning all of those. Detroit looked worse than the Sabres vs Florida yesterday.

Tampa is faltering at the right time for Buffalo but they have to keep losing.

Buffalo has a lot of teams ahead of them but they need to catch Detroit or Tampa because one of Philadelphia, Washington or the Islanders is getting in no matter how badly they all play.

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This team loves giving fans hope And we fall for it every single year.

I didn’t say I had hope. I’m just making a point that the numbers don’t jive with the way the narrative is going. Have they been a disappointment, certainly. Am I preparing to put a deposit down on playoff tickets? No.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If we don't lose more than 4 games out of 21 maybe 🙂

If Tampa plays .500 for their next 18 games Buffalo would have to go 14-8 to play for the right to make the playoffs assuming the other teams continue to falter. Is it a long shot? Certainly, just not impossible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If Tampa plays .500 for their next 18 games Buffalo would have to go 14-8 to play for the right to make the playoffs assuming the other teams continue to falter. Is it a long shot? Certainly, just not impossible 

• Haha (+1) 1

I am particularly cursed, because I became obsessed with the Sabres during Hasek's era in the 90s. I remember my father and my brother telling me "don't get your hopes up, they're going to lose in the first round" ... "don't get your hopes up, there's no way they beat the [Flyers, etc.] this series"

...and they kept winning!

Now I expect the unrealistic. And here I am.

Buffalo has the second hardest strength of schedule remaining including the Western Canadian Road Trip with a stop in Seattle. 

I just do not see it happening. 

I have a hard time believing that the GM of a team that finished one win out of the playoffs last year, would willingly enter this season with the third most cap space.  I still believe GMKA is operating under an internal cap. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Very, very unlikely, but the Tampa game I doubt will have any significance besides +1 or +2 points. If the Sabres were to somehow make it back into the playoffs it would be from beating the red wings in their 3 remaining games as well as a strong performance for the other 18.

• Like (+1) 1

It's possible, however unlikely, the Sabres may find a weakness in the standings, and exploit it.

That SW quote completed, no.

But to make it possible, the Sabres can only afford to lose games against the Western Conference teams the remainder of the season. Everyone is still in front of them and the teams they're playing (like NYI v. BOS yesterday) the playoff-locked teams are coasting the same as they are against the Sabres.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Buffalo has the second hardest strength of schedule remaining including the Western Canadian Road Trip with a stop in Seattle. 

I have a hard time believing that the GM of a team that finished one win out of the playoffs last year, would willingly enter this season with the third most cap space.  I still believe GMKA is operating under an internal cap. 

I go back and forth on the internal cap. Trades that came close only to fall apart, usually because of NMC or free agent choices would seem to indicate that he was given freedom to go higher. On the other hand, they just might be good at getting their story of “trying” out to just enough people.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Totally agree. 

Too many teams ahead of us to even consider playoffs as a possibility. Philly could still fall but Islanders are surging. Too many loser points in our way.