GDT - Montréal @ Buffalo - Monday, October 23, 2023 - 7:00 PM (EDT) - MSG (?) & WGR - RMNH (SportsNet TV - CANADA) & SportsNet+ (pirate satellite)

Sabres Fan in NS

6 minutes ago, ... said:

Either we have a bunch of lazy players who can not for the life of them comprehend simple instructions to keep the game simple and go to the net or we have a coaching staff who despite the mythology built up around their capability can not for the life of them get through to the players.

I am being to agree with @SDS in his assessment of #19. That kid really seems to bring nothing to each game.

I don’t think they’re lazy. I do think they aren’t following instructions though. They might have an inflated sense of their offensive capability. Could be a train of thought they are skilled enough not to have to get dirty goals. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

Good luck with that.  On the 2nd night of a BTB with UPL in net? Chance of winning tomorrow is as close to 0% as it'll be all year.

Sad, embarrassing, and depressing.  There are no more words to describe the situation.  I won't watch another losing season if we are sunk by the holidays. The Bills are a dumpster fire now as well. 

Switch to red and black all the time. This is the answer. 

idk why, but when we wear them we play proper hockey and when we don't wear them we don't. It's actually kind of freaky weird but it's true. 

Greenway was the only one who brought it the same as against the Islanders. A few isolated decent plays here and there but overall it was back to the same. One team went to the front and got a greasy goal, one team didn't. We simply have too much individual play and take too many easy unscreened shots from low danger areas. Tage is over thinking and telegraphing everything he does for example. Sabres just don't pay the price and do the little hard things you need to do to win. 

If I'm Granato I'm putting that David Savard PK moment on a loop and making them watch it for an hour or two. That is how it's done. That sort of thing is infectious and becomes a standard. 

The bottom end of this roster is garbage and VO is an absolute disaster in his own end, but we already knew that. 

It's once again, the same. 

2 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I don’t think they’re lazy. I do think they aren’t following instructions though. They might have an inflated sense of their offensive capability. Could be a train of thought they are skilled enough not to have to get dirty goals. 

Which is exactly what happens when you build a team backwards and teach offense first. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Agree with that 100%, they play under the false sense of security that they can come back every time... just like the Buffalo Bills

Edited by KC Scouts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Loved Tuch when he was here in Vegas but he’s not a pure goal scorer. He’s a great player when he’s using his speed. He leaves you wanting more but I think he hit his ceiling last year. I’m telling you guys it’s coaching that’s going on with this team. In Vegas we are on defenseman 8 and 9 and they are solid. 

I agree with Alex Tuch and it’s complicated because so many Buffalo Sabres fans love the whole wants to be a Buffalo Sabres and was a fan growing up of the Sabres story. I would trade Alex Tuch before he has no value for a veteran finisher on the power play especially if the Sabres can’t land aging Patrick Kane in the end of his great NHL career. Alex Tuch is never going to be as talented as Jack Eichel. It will get worse for Alex Tuch and the Buffalo Sabres organization when Sabres fans finally realize the Vegas Golden Knights fleeced the Sabres in that Jack Eichel trade. I get it that Jack Eichel wanted out but I think the Sabres would have been better going for high draft picks than one third line and a fourth line player on a good Stanley Cup contender.

Alex Tuch played over his ceiling last year which helped along with a career year by Tage Thompson which also helped soften the blow of Jack Eichel wanting out of Buffalo. But the Buffalo Sabres got ripped off again because they don’t understand asset management in the Sabres hockey department. The Sabres organization are desperate now they better hope that they can land Patrick Kane another veteran presence before the Sabres slip so far in the NHL standings they don’t recover again. If the Sabres don’t make the playoffs this season fire Don Granato and name Michael Peca the head coach for next season. Again I am not saying trade Alex Tuch just to trade him. I am saying if a older superstar type of offensive player like the Pat LaFontaine type a deal comes along for a younger Pierre Turgeon this case Alex Tuch make the trade because Alex Tuch isn’t going to get better he is just not a top line player neither is Dylan Cozens another Sabres fan favorite that is another complicated conversation. Dylan Cozens is a good third line player on a Stanley Cup contender. The problem is the Sabres don’t have enough top 6 forwards that are good enough. The Sabres have too many bottom 6 forwards which is why the Sabres always let fans down right now.

I don’t even know what the Buffalo Sabres do with Kevyn Adams the Sabres GM that is another complicated conversation with Sabres fans he continues to over estimate his talent he has on the Sabres. The Buffalo Sabres are who they are very mediocre hockey team right now the question is what is Sabres management going to do about it in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Sabres Fan
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

31 minutes ago, Quint said:

Any team owned by Pegula are destined to be losers. He meddles, he skips RJ Night, he makes all the wrong moves plus he has bad karma. Doesn't matter what sport.

My guess is it’s not Terry but the city is cursed. I moved out in 89 and both teams find new and creative ways to lose like no one else. It’s pathetic!

• Agree 1

Wow. 

I think this team needs a change but not sure who goes or who comes in. Okposo should never have been re-signed. He is old and so slow. 

But they have to make sure they don’t go in another 8 game losing streak or it is over for sure. They have to manage the streaks. Tonight’s loss was a bad time to lose for sure with Ottawa waiting.

Good effort tonight but too many guys fighting it. Not sure the answer but there are definitely coaching issues too. How Matt Ellis is employed is beyond me. The team has 2 pp goals and no imagination. I’m getting concerned for sure and I wanted to wear my new Sabres hoodie (arrived today) proudly. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

I agree with Alex Tuch and it’s complicated because so many Buffalo Sabres fans love the whole wants to be a Buffalo Sabres and was a fan growing up of the Sabres story. I would trade Alex Tuch before he has no value for a veteran finisher on the power play especially if the Sabres can’t land aging Patrick Kane in the end of his great NHL career. Alex Tuch is never going to be as talented as Jack Eichel. It will get worse for Alex Tuch and the Buffalo Sabres organization when Sabres fans finally realize the Vegas Golden Knights fleeced the Sabres in that Jack Eichel trade. I get it that Jack Eichel wanted out but I think the Sabres would have been better going for high draft picks than one third line and a fourth line player on a good Stanley Cup contender.

Alex Tuch played over his ceiling last year which helped along with a career year by Tage Thompson which also helped soften the blow of Jack Eichel wanting out of Buffalo. But the Buffalo Sabres got ripped off again because they don’t understand asset management in the Sabres hockey department. The Sabres organization are desperate now they better hope that they can land Patrick Kane another veteran presence before the Sabres slip so far in the NHL standings they don’t recover again. If the Sabres don’t make the playoffs this season fire Don Granato and name Michael Peca the head coach for next season. Again I am not saying trade Alex Tuch just to trade him. I am saying if a older superstar type of offensive player like the Pat LaFontaine type a deal comes along for a younger Pierre Turgeon this case Alex Tuch make the trade because Alex Tuch isn’t going to get better he is just not a top line player neither is Dylan Cozens another Sabres fan favorite that is another complicated conversation. Dylan Cozens is a good third line player on a Stanley Cup contender. The problem is the Sabres don’t have enough top 6 forwards that are good enough. The Sabres have too many bottom 6 forwards which is why the Sabres always let fans down right now.

I don’t even know what the Buffalo Sabres do with Kevyn Adams the Sabres GM that is another complicated conversation with Sabres fans he continues to over estimate his talent he has on the Sabres. The Buffalo Sabres are who they are very mediocre hockey team right now the question is what is Sabres management going to do about it in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Overestimating the talent is spot on. I have to believe the lack of substantial moves is because KA thought we’d be an offensive juggernaut that just needs a little better defense.

Getting Clifton and keeping Bryson was stupid. Keeping VO just because Quinn is injured is unnecessary IMO. He was scratched and no negative impact resulted. Translation, VO is non essential personnel.

15 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I would agree and I see where you are coming from but the on ice decision making is ridiculous.

Multiple times I have seen TT make an unnecessary and low percentage pass instead of using his cannon of a shot. 

I totally agree KO is done. IMO he is no longer an NHL caliber player. Girgs is heading in that direction.

I was hoping they let KO go when his contract was up last year. Sorry but he’s nothing special. 
My guess Patrick Kane isn’t signing here as he will probably get reunited with his buddy Debrincat on Detroit. 

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Wow. 

I think this team needs a change but not sure who goes or who comes in. Okposo should never have been re-signed. He is old and so slow. 

But they have to make sure they don’t go in another 8 game losing streak or it is over for sure. They have to manage the streaks. Tonight’s loss was a bad time to lose for sure with Ottawa waiting.

Good effort tonight but too many guys fighting it. Not sure the answer but there are definitely coaching issues too. How Matt Ellis is employed is beyond me. The team has 2 pp goals and no imagination. I’m getting concerned for sure and I wanted to wear my new Sabres hoodie (arrived today) proudly. 

^ I agree with this! 

3 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Wow. 

^ I agree with this on KO and Matt Ellis. 

The team is definitely in trouble. You don't fire out of the gate 2 - 4 and feel good about that. There's a lot of hockey left to play, and they are adjusting to vet leader EJ's comments, but there is little doubt over all, the results are the same. They're in trouble.

At some point a group of these young guns are going to have to step up and lead us out of the darkness, but as of now, I'm not seeing it on the ice.

• Agree 2

While not perfect, the Sabres outplayed the Canadiens and got goalied. It seems like the puck is refusing to behave for Tuch and Thompson and Dahlin can't buy a break.

@PerreaultForever is somewhat right though with the oddity of changes between the black jerseys and blue jerseys. They oddly do play much more assertive when in the Goat head. They seem far more willing to work the puck into the crease.

That being said I can't fault their effort, shots on goal, faceoffs and their PK was solid. They fully deserved to win that game and we just don't seem to get any of the breaks.

Onto tomorrow,  grit out a win boys.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

If November is as bad as October you have to consider pulling the plug. A few more losses and it’s a steep uphill climb the rest of the way. Gallant doesn’t like young guys though. He favors vets and would eat Adams alive. But… this team would be more sound defensively. 

Not so sure.  He may prefer vets but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t like young players.  Gallant is known as a players coach. His player work hard for him, until they don’t.  

Either way, it’s way too early to make a coaching change.  

• Like (+1) 2

Bowling night so missed the game, but read the board… Lot of frustration bordering on anger…

Board agrees we outplayed them… Stats say we outshot them… by 37% and our PP did not perform… Fact is we ran into a hot goaltender… It happens.

No need for panic… 

Team could use a shake up… If I were KA and DG… I would approach KO and make him Player/Coach… Give the C to Dahlin.

Fresh start.

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Not so sure.  He may prefer vets but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t like young players.  Gallant is known as a players coach. His player work hard for him, until they don’t.  

Either way, it’s way too early to make a coaching change.  

I doubt a coaching change happens. Ownership believes in this type of hockey.  Gallant was the guy a lot of us wanted a long time ago but that would mean a complete change of direction/philosophy so no way do I see that ever happening. As for the veterans preferred angle they said the same thing about Torts last year and he shifted over to rookies up and down the line up so I doubt there's any truth to it at all. Both guys just prefer players with strong work ethics, young or old. 

I think Gallant could in fact turn this team around once and for all, but, as I said, I don't see them ever going that way. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I doubt a coaching change happens. Ownership believes in this type of hockey.  Gallant was the guy a lot of us wanted a long time ago but that would mean a complete change of direction/philosophy so no way do I see that ever happening. As for the veterans preferred angle they said the same thing about Torts last year and he shifted over to rookies up and down the line up so I doubt there's any truth to it at all. Both guys just prefer players with strong work ethics, young or old. 

I think Gallant could in fact turn this team around once and for all, but, as I said, I don't see them ever going that way. 

Which is why they are the least successful owners in hockey history. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.