GDT - Montréal @ Buffalo - Monday, October 23, 2023 - 7:00 PM (EDT) - MSG (?) & WGR - RMNH (SportsNet TV - CANADA) & SportsNet+ (pirate satellite)

Sabres Fan in NS

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

And they did nothing to get this crowd in the game. Dahlin's last second hit was a joke.

It was a good clean hit.  He had several. Are you looking to blame him ?   Dahlin was not the problem.  He is one of the few with any edge to his game.  

We need traffic in front of the net and more people moving on the PP.   

We need dirty goals. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Dude. 

Do you want people saying this to you after you once again blame the refs for another Bills loss in which they play terribly?

You can do better than this.

Nice backhand way to call me an idiot. You too can do better.

7 hours ago, Kristian said:

And this makes zero sense. Because he’s an older player, he’ll automatically make a good coach?? Why?

Why?.. Because some… including you… think KO is no longer contributing as a regular starter… 

Why?.. Has zero to do with age… Because KO is a good man and a great example, who knows the game, communicates clearly like all good coaches, and is respected by the players, coaches, and management…

Why??… Because, in my opinion, the Kiddie Corps needs a shake up to get their attention before the season gets away from us… Dahlin is one of them, an All-Pro and their leader by experience, and the consensus future Captain…

My bet is KO would agree… 

So, I say be brave… Shake the bottle… Pass the torch now… 

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It was a good clean hit.  He had several. Are you looking to blame him ?   Dahlin was not the problem.  He is one of the few with any edge to his game.  

We need traffic in front of the net and more people moving on the PP.   

We need dirty goals. 

It was the timing. Where was it in the first period. Or from any of his teammates. He's a proxy for the team itself. Very talented, very smooth, brings it when the mood strikes.

What is this team right now? What's the identity?

Edited by PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was the timing. Where was it in the first period. Or from any of his teammates. He's a proxy for the team itself. Very talented, very smooth, brings it when the mood strikes.

What is this team right now? What's the identity?

Timing?   He had a hit, he took it.  That is the game.  

The teams identity is another issue separate from Dahlin. 

• Agree 1

As I’m watching this, did nobody say, “hey, Skinner already scored high blocker side, and Allen’s glove is hot tonight. Maybe try shooting blocker more.” The only time they did it was on the power play setting up Tage’s bombs that Allen was ready for. It seems like every other shot went glove side.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Sabres outplayed and outshot the Habs.  They dominated for long periods.  But they did not finish. Despite all the shots, they had very few high danger scoring chances.  They are still playing way to cute.  Too many shots were  passed up looking for a perfect play.  

I think that's the first game I've ever attended where the (home) crowd spontaneously cheered several shifts by the Sabres, and yet the Sabres lost. Usually those games end up in wins. There were periods of time when the Sabres were skating circles around the Canadiens.

And yet.

38 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Dig in and skate!

I said essentially these words several times last night in that same scenario.

37 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We need dirty goals. 

A bunch.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Sometimes ya just get beat by, er, Jake Allen!

He's 8-3-1 all time vs the Sabres w/ a 2.20 GAA.  He's had a couple of real stinkers against the Sabres, but he typically is a brick wall, unfortunately.

Was hoping the Skinner goal would get him off his game, but it wasn't to be.

Another game where the Sabres had stretches where they dominated play but simply couldn't find a way to get the puck into the net.

Comrie played well and deserved a better fate.  Haven't watched much of the replay.  On the 1st goal Comrie can't kick out that large of a rebound.  Frustrating that Olofsson was a mile away from the shooter.  That really was the only bad play of his that stood out; unfortunately, even though it was his only major lapse, it ended up in the Sabres net.

Not sure why Power was still out there after the 3rd Habs goal.  His blocked shot after the icing in the 3rd let the Habs get fresh bodies onto the ice with no chances against right off the initial faceoff even though the Habs were gassed.  Eventually, that shift for the Habs got them the goal.  (And that was sooooooo frustrating, because Granato actually tried to take advantage of a tired opponent after the icing.  The Jost line had started going out before the icing, but Granato pulled them and put the Mittelstadt line out along with Power and Jokiharju.  It should've gotten some serious chances, especially with the clean faceoff win; but Power blasted it into the forward's shin pad and so much for that.)

He also was the reason that Tuch had to take the crosschecking penalty that led to the Habs lone PP goal.  3 bad plays consecutively left Tuch with no other options.  And then Power committed late to blocking the pass to Pearson from below the goal line meaning he both missed the pass and left him clean to get a 1 timer off with Comrie necessarily moving.

It was easily one of the 3 worst games Power has played for the Sabres.  When he's that far off, Granato HAS to ease his load.  Except for still having a propensity to score on his own goalie, Clifton has been playing better than he did the 1st 2 games.  Maybe let him slide up into the top 4 splitting up Dahlin and Samuelsson so that Connor and Henri don't end up a thing.  (They've been horribly bad in limited time together; but have been ok/good when not together.)

Too bad Tuch couldn't get close enough to Gallagher on the 2nd goal to crosscheck him away from Comrie.  Might've had a better fate.  Would like to blame that 2nd goal on Comrie for not covering the puck, but that's been a weakness of his game as long as he's been a Sabre.  The D or Tuch has to help him out there.

Cozens and Thompson will start burying their chances.  They're getting too many to not do so.  Both started slowly last year and then exploded.  They'll do so again.  But it's painful waiting for them to both break out.  

Greenway has been very good so far this year.  Even though he's not scoring, he's forechecking very well and is their best F on the PP.

Well, they go back on the road, which is where they seem to play better.  Keep up the effort level they showed last night and keep the game a "simple road game" and they could start getting the ship righted.  Hoping either Levi is back, or UPL has the horseshoe lodged properly.  Either would be welcome.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

As I’m watching this, did nobody say, “hey, Skinner already scored high blocker side, and Allen’s glove is hot tonight. Maybe try shooting blocker more.” The only time they did it was on the power play setting up Tage’s bombs that Allen was ready for. It seems like every other shot went glove side.

Shooting glove side was definitely an issue last night.  Seemed everything was going there and Allen was on his game.

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

You and @PerreaultForever are idiots. 
I know you are supposed to criticize the post, not the poster, but c’mon! 

Are we supposed to expect a shut out every night?! Our O scored one goal. That is not on the goalie.

So why am I an idiot you piece of crap. Am I allowed to say that? I want to call you worse but moderators will no doubt do their thing their way. So you're allowed to call me an idiot. Why?

It's come to this already. Team does crap so start taking it out on the posters. That'll fix your egos at least. 

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So why am I an idiot you piece of crap. Am I allowed to say that? I want to call you worse but moderators will no doubt do their thing their way. So you're allowed to call me an idiot. Why?

It's come to this already. Team does crap so start taking it out on the posters. That'll fix your egos at least. 

I actually thought I already deleted it. Sorry. It's gone now.

And I've been called worse. I'll survive. I still won't put that loss on Comrie.

Just now, SwampD said:

I actually thought I already deleted it. Sorry. It's gone now.

And I've been called worse. I'll survive. I still won't put that loss on Comrie.

Neither did I, which is why I want to know why you added me and called me an idiot? I replied to his post saying it wasn't on Comrie. 

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

JFC.  Enough already.  Both of the participants in this particular exchange are well past the age where they should know better.

Do better or keep quiet.

Sure, but you can't let one guy call another one an idiot and then say the other guy can't respond. That's an unfair bias. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Neither did I, which is why I want to know why you added me and called me an idiot? I replied to his post saying it wasn't on Comrie. 

Misread your post, sorry. I guess we all know who the real idiot is now.

We are allowed to call ourselves idiots here, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.