Mike Bales (goalie coach)

IndySabresLifer

On 10/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, IndySabresLifer said:

Anyone else curious if Mike Bales is the issue with UPL? As a goalie myself, watching Levi in game 1, he seemed to be over-shooting his marks (like UPL does often). The common denominator now is Mike Bales. I didn’t see the overshooting on Levi in his play last year or even in college. Thoughts?

No. UPL has been awful for about 5 years now.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone else curious if Mike Bales is the issue with UPL? As a goalie myself, watching Levi in game 1, he seemed to be over-shooting his marks (like UPL does often). The common denominator now is Mike Bales. I didn’t see the overshooting on Levi in his play last year or even in college. Thoughts?

Welcome! I’m with Tom on this that UPL just isn’t that good. His stats don’t lie. And neither will the Amerks season ticket holders. The guy doesn’t have it.  

Sure, he’s had a couple of stretches where he gets hot for a few games like any other goalie. But he’s never been good. His career save percentage at the AHL level is sub .900. Same at the NHL level. 

If he was drafted in the 6th round instead of the 2nd round, would anyone care about him at the NHL level?

Also, UPL has never earned an NHL recall. He has only been in Buffalo because of injury recalls. A career AHL save percentage of under .900 means he never should have been here to begin with. 

Obviously Levi has some maturing to do at this level, but I wouldn’t read too much into his first two starts. The Rangers were superior and the Isles had two deflection goals. 

Maybe he needs to be like...

"Back then, they didn't want me...

Now I'm hot, they all up on me...

Back then, they didn't want me...

I'm Mike Bales!"

He just needs to get some iced up grills in his mouth and be like

"I'm Mike Bales! Don't act like you don't know my name...

ain't nothing changed but my change, I'm gonna stay the same!

Before Levi came...

before I got my fame...

these posters poppin' now didn't even know my name...

they said UPL was lame...

they said he had no game...

I told 'em Levi was fixin' to blow, they thought I was insane..."

Edited by matter2003

51 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe he needs to be like...

"Back then, they didn't want me...

Back then, they didn't want me...

I'm Mike Bales!"

He just needs to get some iced up grills in his mouth and be like

"I'm Mike Bales! Don't act like you don't know my name...

ain't nothing changed but my change, I'm gonna stay the same!

Before Levi came...

before I got my fame...

these posters poppin' now didn't even know my name...

they said UPL was lame...

they said he had no game...

I told 'em Levi was fixin' to blow, they thought I was insane..."

the-office-walk-away.gif

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Welcome to the board.

Bales is supposed to be one of the best in the game.  If he is, that says a lot about the goaltenders we have had the past few years.

• Shocked 1

I think it's safe to say that UPL has not shown a steady progression or development (even if slow) over his time here. Whether you put that on the goalie coach or just on him being incapable of learning/improving I guess is a point of contention. Levi simply should be paired with a veteran who can also take him under his wing and work with him much like Ullmark does with Swayman (thinking of Bob Essensa mentioned above by @Brawndo). 

At the moment I'm not impressed by ANY of our coaches and think we let the guy we really needed walk away in Mike Peca. 

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What's Craig Anderson up to.

Spending time with family.  I see him as a potential "special goalie consultant" but not a full time anything at this point.  I'd love to have him but I think he wants to spend time with the wife & kids.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it's safe to say that UPL has not shown a steady progression or development (even if slow) over his time here. Whether you put that on the goalie coach or just on him being incapable of learning/improving I guess is a point of contention.

I thought for a while it was some combination of coaching, improper development, and his injury issues that stunted his development, but he came into camp this year unprepared relative to others. Even just looking at his closest power,  I t’s evident that Comrie worked hard this offseason. It isn’t with UPL.

At this point it suggests to me it’s the player lacking the drive/focus to succeed in pro sports.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.