GDT: Rangers @ Sabres - October 12, 2023 - 7:00PM, MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

Bulletin board material?

“Everyone was excited and skated very well,” said Panarin. “When you skate very well, you have more room. When you have room you have more time to think.”

“It was [our] first game, maybe it was because Buffalo was not that good. I hope we can do that against every team.”

I only saw the third period. Rangers defense stuffed Thompson. So did Columbus for that matter. Thompson will get his goals but have they figured him out? Also Skinner's crossbar shot could've changed the complexion of the game. Looking back, Skinner had a number of opportunities that would have changed the game if he cashed in. But he was the only one who looked dangerous to me.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I’m disappointed by the effort.

The Rangers got a few early breaks and capitalized on them. They played like a wet blanket for the second half of the game, blocking shots like it was game 7 of the conference final. They got a lead and then defended it, pure and simple.

They were prepared and it showed.

Positives: Greenway, Krebs, Benson, Clifton, Peterka

Negatives: Power, Okposo, Thompson, Granato.

The Rangers are a good team.  Power is still young and is going to have ups and downs.  Thompson is a scorer, he might not show up for a few games and then put in a hat trick.

After sleeping on the loss, the one thing I might take from that game is Okposo. I really REALLY think he might have had the worst game I have ever seen him have.  Is it just one bad game? Hopefully.  

Over the last few years since he missed time with his injury, I have not said much negative about him. I found myself defending him often on here. His numbers were very good as a fill in on the 2nd PP unit.  His production per 60 was pretty good for a 3rd liner. He rarely made mistakes.  But last night he didn't do much well and he made key mistakes on a few Ranger goals.  

I have been pretty critical of Krebs over the last year and didn't want him on that line with KO and Girgs, but honestly he was fine last night. He played well. Girgensons also had the type of game you want from him. Krebs and Girgs can be on that 4th line all the time from how they looked last night, but I thought Okposo brought things crashing down for them.

Again, its one game.  EVERYONE is entitled to a few bad games. But after last nights performance, I'll be watching if this might be the 'one too many years' year for him.

On a slightly different note, you shouldn't have Dahlin at almost 26 minutes of ice time, last year he tailed off by the end of the year it seems as a result of some nagging injuries and just wearing down.  If you are protecting a one goal lead, or down by 1 or maybe 2 and trying to come back use him up....but no reason when you were outgunned the whole game and down by 3 late to be putting him through the grinder when, if you want to make the playoffs, you will need him somewhat fresh and healthy. 

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I didn't get to watch. Despite paying MSG my 30 bucks (and I have the receipts as the kids say), they have no record of me as a subscriber. It appears that paying through Google wallet or whatever it's called is an issue. So here I am. It was also a minor miracle to reach anyone at MSG, so resolving the issue is going to be a challenge.

I'm hearing that the broadcast crew used the kid card right off the gitgo. That's a directive from higher ups, so it's concerning to me. That some posters are already eating it up is funny. Did they not factor youth into their 100+ point predictions?

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I didn't get to watch. Despite paying MSG my 30 bucks (and I have the receipts as the kids say), they have no record of me as a subscriber. It appears that paying through Google wallet or whatever it's called is an issue. So here I am. It was also a minor miracle to reach anyone at MSG, so resolving the issue is going to be a challenge.

I'm hearing that the broadcast crew used the kid card right off the gitgo. That's a directive from higher ups, so it's concerning to me. That some posters are already eating it up is funny. Did they not factor youth into their 100+ point predictions?

Sorry you're having such a problem getting to watch games. I won't play the "kid card" but it is a factor. The larger factor I suspect is our overall defensive system or our ability to install one.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LTS said:

They aren't.. but there are people everywhere on the Internet who will be like that. This place is no exception. This is how people cope, they just come in here and go full on chicken little. Apparently they'll be okay... they apparently aren't suffering medical issues from their apparent stress.  There's just one thing you have to remember....

You can't tell them to relax, even if they should. They get mad. Then they take it personal and respond with "I know you are but what am I?" or "Your Mom" type responses.  That's when you get a good understanding of who they are, what they are about, and that unless you want to get drawn into it, you just need to learn to filter it out.

Not that this comment is wrong.. but some people love to fret and worry over things. You can't suggest they don't because that also gets them upset. Bottom line? Some people just like to be upset.  I don't understand it either, but if it works for them, so be it.

The game was crap. I could hypothesize about the pressure of RJ, the pressure of making the playoffs, the desire to want to do so well that you aren't relaxed enough to play the game you are supposed to play.  It doesn't change that the game was crap.  The Rangers were playing Game 1 like Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. 

Lots of room to improve, but if they don't figure out the 1-3-1 and they don't figure out how to not always try to setup one-timers on the power play they will suffer immensely.  The Rangers just gave the league a blueprint on how to slow the Sabres down... now it's up to the Sabres to figure out how to beat it.

I'd say on to tomorrow, but it is tomorrow.  So just sitting here after my late hockey game, having a little Elijah Craig to slow the system before crashing for the night.

My team also lost, I told them they all sucked and their families will hate them. They are a joke and they get paid too much to play the game if they are going to play like that.  I also feel shame.. somewhere someone is going to watch the LiveBarn feed and light my ass up on some niche forum that rags on beer league players. 🙂

Getting mad or disappointed is fine. It’s just annoying seeing people act like the entire season is over, how we have absolutely no chance at the playoffs because we didn’t win last night. 

7 hours ago, LTS said:

They aren't.. but there are people everywhere on the Internet who will be like that. This place is no exception. This is how people cope, they just come in here and go full on chicken little. Apparently they'll be okay... they apparently aren't suffering medical issues from their apparent stress.  There's just one thing you have to remember....

You can't tell them to relax, even if they should. They get mad. Then they take it personal and respond with "I know you are but what am I?" or "Your Mom" type responses.  That's when you get a good understanding of who they are, what they are about, and that unless you want to get drawn into it, you just need to learn to filter it out.

Not that this comment is wrong.. but some people love to fret and worry over things. You can't suggest they don't because that also gets them upset. Bottom line? Some people just like to be upset.  I don't understand it either, but if it works for them, so be it.

The game was crap. I could hypothesize about the pressure of RJ, the pressure of making the playoffs, the desire to want to do so well that you aren't relaxed enough to play the game you are supposed to play.  It doesn't change that the game was crap.  The Rangers were playing Game 1 like Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. 

Lots of room to improve, but if they don't figure out the 1-3-1 and they don't figure out how to not always try to setup one-timers on the power play they will suffer immensely.  The Rangers just gave the league a blueprint on how to slow the Sabres down... now it's up to the Sabres to figure out how to beat it.

I'd say on to tomorrow, but it is tomorrow.  So just sitting here after my late hockey game, having a little Elijah Craig to slow the system before crashing for the night.

My team also lost, I told them they all sucked and their families will hate them. They are a joke and they get paid too much to play the game if they are going to play like that.  I also feel shame.. somewhere someone is going to watch the LiveBarn feed and light my ass up on some niche forum that rags on beer league players. 🙂

Getting mad or disappointed is fine. It’s just annoying seeing people act like the entire season is over, how we have absolutely no chance at the playoffs because we didn’t win last night. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Missed this one.

Game 1.  Home opener of a highly anticipated season.  RJ memorial.  Playing a very good team that is well coached.

Often a 'trap game'.  It was.  I almost expecting a bit of a let down and that the Sabres would look flat.  

All in all a good experience and they will be ready tomorrow.  All those same preasures will be on the Islanders.

The Sabres will be fine.  Finer than fine.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Missed this one.

Game 1.  Home opener of a highly anticipated season.  RJ memorial.  Playing a very good team that is well coached.

Often a 'trap game'.  It was.  I almost expecting a bit of a let down and that the Sabres would look flat.  

All in all a good experience and they will be ready tomorrow.  All those same preasures will be on the Islanders.

The Sabres will be fine.  Finer than fine.

How is opening game a trap game? A letdown on 1st game of the season?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

They played like a wet blanket for the second half of the game, blocking shots like it was game 7 of the conference final.

Amazing Laviolette got them to give up the body to block shots so early in his tenure…

Talk about Buy-In…

Think the Rangers were determined to spoil all the season opener hoopla and send the up and coming Sabres a message.

Talent matters… Coaching makes the difference.

Edited by Believer
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Bulletin board material?

I only saw the third period. Rangers defense stuffed Thompson. So did Columbus for that matter. Thompson will get his goals but have they figured him out? Also Skinner's crossbar shot could've changed the complexion of the game. NYR made it 4-1 right after that.

That quote is a tough pill.  If that is the thought already, it must include carryover from last season.  Sounds like the view from others that play against this squad isn’t as universally optimistic as we are.

9 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

All the hype of a highly anticipated season.  The players just aren't relaxed and don't seem to be able to play their game.

Lazy excuse. They got beat by a better team. I think they'll be good this year but no excuses for their play last night.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with last night was being entirely out of sync (maybe only 1 preseason game isn't enough Donny) and the complete lack of rushing or pinching. There were so many times last night where they would do the ***** STUPID USELESS WORTHLESS ANNOYING drop pass (which at times guys literally missed) and then all everyone else did was stop skating and waited in their designated spots for the entry or dump in. Then defenders were fleeing, FLEEING, the blue line whenever a ranger touched the puck and they didn't stop fleeing until they saw their own faceoff circle allowing easy entries. We repeatedly gave up our own blue line while also repeatedly refusing to take away the walls in both zones. It was a mess last night. Defenders would dobule cover the same guy. 3 goals happened because of players standing around. The panarin goal happened because instead of challenging him we backed off and backed off and backed off. I get you gotta watch for the pass there but you let him get into prime scoring areas. 

I hated last night. It was a perfect encapsulation of all the problems we saw in preseason and what doomed them last year and no one seems to be interested in fixing it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Lazy excuse. They got beat by a better team. I think they'll be good this year but no excuses for their play last night.

I was not making excuses.  I agree they did not play well against a better team (at least the Rangers played better).  All I am saying is I was not surprised and I expected a let down.

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The problem with last night was being entirely out of sync (maybe only 1 preseason game isn't enough Donny) and the complete lack of rushing or pinching. There were so many times last night where they would do the ***** STUPID USELESS WORTHLESS ANNOYING drop pass (which at times guys literally missed) and then all everyone else did was stop skating and waited in their designated spots for the entry or dump in. Then defenders were fleeing, FLEEING, the blue line whenever a ranger touched the puck and they didn't stop fleeing until they saw their own faceoff circle allowing easy entries. We repeatedly gave up our own blue line while also repeatedly refusing to take away the walls in both zones. It was a mess last night. Defenders would dobule cover the same guy. 3 goals happened because of players standing around. The panarin goal happened because instead of challenging him we backed off and backed off and backed off. I get you gotta watch for the pass there but you let him get into prime scoring areas. 

I hated last night. It was a perfect encapsulation of all the problems we saw in preseason and what doomed them last year and no one seems to be interested in fixing it. 

This is why some of us were hard on Kevyn for this summer. Until the things that sunk us last year don't sink us this year, his offseason is going to look obscene for a team trying to push over the hump, with players documented by @tom webster as really wanting the help. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Everybody blaming Joki on that first goal, but Power also is at least equally to blame, gave a weak poke check and allowed a guy to collect his own rebound and get the assist. 

I hate the “blame the closest guy to the goal scorer” thing fans always do.

The 1st goal started because of a Krebs giveaway on the breakout. He forced a 5-foot pass to Okposo just outside the blueline that was picked off and launched a semi- 3-on-2 the other direction.

Instead of darting into the lane to block Panarin’s path to the goal and puck, Girgensons drifted back towards the boards, opening the direct line to the net 72 moved the puck into and Panarin exploited.

Power gave Panarin way too much space on the initial rush, weakly waved his stick at him, then turned away from him on the shot instead of staying with him and limiting his access to the rebound.

Levi kicked the rebound directly to Panarin who no longer had a good shot angle, but had a great passing lane, thanks to Power compounding his initial bad turn by not moving to fill it.

Jokiharju got transfixed by the puck carrier instead of protecting the back door by either filling the passing lane or looking for encroaching threats from the outside.

And Okposo also got caught staring and stopped moving his feet when he was in the best position to actually see and pick up Lafreniere, who came all the way from the far wall behind him.

Plenty of blame to go around.

(Never mind the good plays by the Ranger who picked off the pass and fed Panarin, Lafreniere to drive the net, and particularly Panarin for the speed at which he executed his rush, his shot and his pass)

• Like (+1) 2

For a team whose strength is supposed to be offence, we sure didn’t look very dangerous last night.

Tuch, Tage, Skinner and Cozens created very little. Wondering if the team core was feeling the pressure a bit too much. A lot of them seemed to be inside their own heads.

The Rangers looked patient, mature and just better at hockey.

I ***** hate Laviolette.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Bulletin board material?

I only saw the third period. Rangers defense stuffed Thompson. So did Columbus for that matter. Thompson will get his goals but have they figured him out? Also Skinner's crossbar shot could've changed the complexion of the game. NYR made it 4-1 right after that.

I guess it depends upon how you interpret what he said. I did not hear his comments so I don't have the complete context and maybe something was lost in translation but, in print, "maybe it was because Buffalo was not that good" comes across to me as "maybe it was because Buffalo was not that good tonight" as opposed to "maybe it was because Buffalo was not a good club coming in". Seems to me that it was a commentary on that specific game and not on the overall state of the team. Either way, there is no disputing that they were not good last night. They are in for another frustrating 1-3-1 type of game on Saturday against the Isles so they'd better figure things out.

4 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

I blame coaching the most. Some players aren’t ready yet- Thompson, Krebs, etc. They have no system response to anything the 1-3-1 tore them apart and we’re losing the Xs and Os. 

Levi was fine. Benson is fine, that penalty was a load of crap. 

Oloffson is a problem out there though.  Holding back his linemates  

Cliffton didn’t scare me like he did during pre season. Jokiharju did exactly what he’s always done, if they swap Cliffton up with Power then I think we have a chance. Got to get Power over the sophomore slump he’s in. 

Can we stop the Owen Power BS. 

He has played one (1) game.  How is one game a slump?   Do you think this comment is an overreaction?  I hope you do. 

Many young players have a difficult year after after their rookie season. Can he at least play his 2nd season without all the drama.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is why some of us were hard on Kevyn for this summer. Until the things that sunk us last year don't sink us this year, his offseason is going to look obscene for a team trying to push over the hump, with players documented by @tom webster as really wanting the help. 

You would think a guy who has made several good trades while in a position of weakness (Jack, Sam, Risto) would make more trades as he seems pretty good at them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.