GDT: Rangers @ Sabres - October 12, 2023 - 7:00PM, MSG-Bđź“şWGRđź“»

SabresBaltimore

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, there’s no middle ground 

The expectation in year 4 of a GM term is playoffs 

Going young, I cannot stress this enough: by choice, doesn’t change that. By that logic you could ice a team of rookies every year indefinitely and supposedly never have any expectations. 

I don’t disagree. I’m a playoffs are the absolute bare minimum. But I’ve seen some people post “we need another year to make the playoffs” and “the Sabres are contenders”. 

I thought 105 points and a strong showing in the playoffs. Even with a first round loss would be fine as long as they pushed the pace for the series.

Missing the playoffs would mean one of Donnie or Adams would (should?) be shown the door. 

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don’t disagree. I’m a playoffs are the absolute bare minimum. But I’ve seen some people post “we need another year to make the playoffs” and “the Sabres are contenders”. 

I thought 105 points and a strong showing in the playoffs. Even with a first round loss would be fine as long as they pushed the pace for the series.

Missing the playoffs would mean one of Donnie or Adams would (should?) be shown the door. 

Doubt they are shown the door tbh. Do not think Adams *should* be shown the door, either. But making the playoffs is so clearly and obviously and by any reasonable rights the necessary “expectation” for a GM going into his 4th year on the clock, in that it cannot be “job well done” without it. 

But I don’t believe a failure to meet reasonable expectations justly and rightfully means firing, either. But I don’t see a convincing argument for why a team should bring back a GM if they go 5 years without making the playoffs, so that’s where my line falls. Maybe that’s an arbitrary number, but you have to draw the line somewhere and half a decade seems fair in that I can’t be convinced any sort of strategy was necessary that would take LONGER THAN THAT in a league half the teams make the playoffs. Why the heck should a slowest of slow builds take 6 years to field a playoff team? That’s absurd 

it’s an entertainment *product*. Make the gaddamn playoffs lol 

He has an additional 2 years to do it now after 3 years of free pass

If that’s unfair, well, shoot me

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Doubt they are shown the door tbh. Do not think Adams *should* be shown the door, either. But making the playoffs is so clearly and obviously and by any reasonable rights the necessary “expectation” for a GM going into his 4th year on the clock, in that it cannot be “job well done” without it. 

But I don’t believe a failure to meet reasonable expectations justly and rightfully means firing, either. But I don’t see a convincing argument for why a team should bring back a GM if they go 5 years without making the playoffs, so that’s where my line falls. Maybe that’s an arbitrary number, but you have to draw the line somewhere and half a decade seems fair in that I can’t be convinced any sort of strategy was necessary that would take LONGER THAN THAT in a league half the teams make the playoffs. Why the heck should a slowest of slow builds take 6 years to field a playoff team? That’s absurd 

I included Adams to cover my bases, if the Sabres missed the playoffs I’d be surprised if Adams was shown the door. 

• Agree 1

I’m 100% certain I’ve said this before but no one can kill 6 months of good will like this team.  We were riding a tidal wave of hope and promise for this season and in 60 minutes they torpedoed all of it in one fell swoop.  Fans desperately want to buy in and this team reminds you buyer beware constantly.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Especially if you consider that Adams had quite the head start on things. Most long term rebuild GMs start with few prospects and a crap roster. Adams already had the so called young core (Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin, Mittlestadt, Samuelsson all JBot players) and he got to add a wealth of prospects/picks for the "stars" he unloaded. That's a heck of a jump start. 

The question really becomes how do you fail to assemble a playoff roster with that sort of start and shouldn't you be accountable for it?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, inkman said:

I’m 100% certain I’ve said this before but no one can kill 6 months of good will like this team.  We were riding a tidal wave of hope and promise for this season and in 60 minutes they torpedoed all of it in one fell swoop.  Fans desperately want to buy in and this team reminds you buyer beware constantly.  

These games are weighted higher than games 12 and 13 for example. Your home opener and then your road opener, the road record having been such a strong point last hear, finishing 0-2 is a first impression for most fans that will be tough to change. Absent a winning streak of significance of course.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.