Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Norcal said:

Yeah. Wtf happened here?

Not much contact and he's laid the ***** out. 

imo just bad luck as the other player elbow caught him as he was going down so he kind of took a double shot.

5 hours ago, Norcal said:

He'll do, I guess

Interesting to me is that Perron gets a player safety hearing (which he deserves for using the stick) but a few weeks back Trouba did the exact same thing to Trent Frederik on the Bruins and he just got to go home to his hot tub and relax. The disparity is annoying. Trouba gets away with way too much all the time. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

‘tis the season for boarding apparently. After Kane (no penalty), Robinson (5 PIM, misconduct) now nick cousins (2 mins for boarding) rattles Gudbransson in exactly the same manner. 

why are the refs so freaking inconsistent. All 3 were exactly the same. 

Different refs and it's a changing game. It's hard to make the transition. All of those hits used to be legal back in the day. idk, eventually it'll be all non contact but maybe I will be dead before we get there. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Capitals appear to be moving to a new building in Alexandria Virginia ( D.C Suburb)

Gonna be difficult because that area has filled in so much and gov doesnt have the power without Alexandria's approval... Alexandria is a chartered city in VA... one of 3 that have the power of a county... they have shot down other projects in Potomac yards... itll be an interesting fight.  PS i lived there for many years and del ray section of Alexandria has the political power there and very nimbyesque

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

So... the Washington Capitals will be the Virginia Suburbs now?

Yes, just south of Reagan National Airport (DCA), at Potomac Yard at the north end of Alexandria. 

I've actually been to the site of the new arena.  The site is currently a large strip mall anchored by a Target.  For people flying in to see a game you could feasibly walk from the airport to the arena, and there are already a bunch of hotels nearby in Crystal City (immediately west of the airport).

I've been to Crystal City for business and typically I walk from the airport to Crystal City, and I've walked from my hotel to dinner in Alexandria.  (It's a bit far for most, a mile to the hotels, maybe a mile and a half to two miles from Crystal City to Potomac Yard.)

But for the less pedestrian adventurous, there are Metro stops at all those places too.

49 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Gonna be difficult because that area has filled in so much and gov doesnt have the power without Alexandria's approval... Alexandria is a chartered city in VA... one of 3 that have the power of a county... they have shot down other projects in Potomac yards... itll be an interesting fight.  PS i lived there for many years and del ray section of Alexandria has the political power there and very nimbyesque

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The plot thickens 

Interesting background.  I wonder if the whole Potomac Yard thing is a ploy to force the Capital One Arena updates?

• Like (+1) 1