Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Both the NHL and NFL need to get with Reality you can hit women, go over speed limit by 50 etc  get nothing .

But gambling you toss the book its embarrassing 

It’s not a sin tax.  The rules against gambling aren’t in place because the NHL/NFL think gambling is immoral.

It’s to protect the product.  In some circumstances, gambling could lead to situations where a player could be tempted to influence the game for gambling gains.  That’s what the organizations are trying to eliminate.

Wednesday’s game with the Flyers is the Sabres 10th game. DG said at the start of the season that 10 games was the number of games needed for his team to get into a rhythm and have the kinks worked out.

A win would put them at .500 with a lot more positive signs. The Flyers started well but are heading in the wrong direction.

I am feeling good about the team getting 4 points vs the Flyers.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Sabres have taken the 3rd most penalties in the NHL this year with 37 and are 5th on a per game basis with 4.11/game.  

Last year they were 24th in terms of penalties with 2.89/game. 

They need to reel in their discipline a little bit.  

While they can definitely clean it up a bit, their PK is making it worthwhile to stay aggressive. For some fun number comparison:

Last season the PK was abysmal at 73.01%. Only 226 penalties taken, but an astounding 61 PPG allowed.

We're 1/9 of the way into the year, so just enough to begin the initial extrapolation. They're at a silly 89.19% PK. On pace for 337 penalties taken... but if they maintain the silly PK pace, they'll only give up 37 PPG.

Tone down the penalties a touch, maybe finish at 85+% PK, and they'll reduce that season overall GA by 20-25 just on the PK.

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/29/2023 at 11:53 AM, DarthEbriate said:

Grumblegrumblegrumble. So Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, and Orlov were just holding the Bruins back.

Yep. The demise of the Bruins looks like it is on hold for now. Everyone laughing about the Bruins center spine in the offseason…who is laughing now?

• dislike 1

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Yep. The demise of the Bruins looks like it is on hold for now. Everyone laughing about the Bruins center spine in the offseason…who is laughing now?

It really is so impressive.  Is Marchand the lynch pin?  Reluctant to admit it in this space but he's growing on me, the results speak for themselves.  Coaching change, personnel change, same results, at the top of the league.  Hopefully McAvoy's suspension derails them.

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

It really is so impressive.  Is Marchand the lynch pin?  Reluctant to admit it in this space but he's growing on me, the results speak for themselves.  Coaching change, personnel change, same results, at the top of the league.  Hopefully McAvoy's suspension derails them.

In what I've heard/seen Marchand is acting very mature and is being a true captain. Like him or not, he's a leader. When asked about their success he basically said they have a strong culture in place and he also said Sweeney did a great job finding veterans willing to buy into that culture. Which seems true.

Their success so far is a little tricky though. Close games, low scores, they find a way but it also feels like it could burst at any moment. Their goaltending has been outstanding. Ullmark in Vezina form again which just adds to the "KA botched goaltending" discussion. Swayman just as good really and on top of that apparently Bussi has been outstanding in Providence so they have that covered. The D has also been very good and the PK is almost perfect. McAvoy was playing his best ever hockey prior to the suspension issue. 

The biggest thing though is Poitras. 19 year old kid with the maturity of a 25-30 year old player. More Krejci than Bergeron but a little of both so that has helped with the loss of those two. Beecher has also played well on the 4th line. 

But it could just be the goalie hugs. I've noticed Tuch is trying to bring a version here, so if that's it, there ya go. (Make him captain next year).

I suspect they lose to Toronto though with Gryzelyk now injured and McAvoy suspended but who knows. So far they defy the odds. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

It’s like I don’t even know you any more 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

It’s almost like you forget (or don’t care about) the hours and hours of YouTube evidence spanning his entire F***ing career of the douchebaggery of  Sir King Scumbag. 

And since nobody has the intestinal fortitude to crush him hard where he’s out for several months… I can’t wait till that motherf***er retires. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sens to lose a first round pick for their role in the Dadonov trade.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ottawa-senators-to-forfeit-first-round-pick-as-fallout-from-2021-evgenii-dadonov-trade-1.2029600

I guess they did not inform Vegas that he had a no movement clause and that caused a problem at the trade deadline, where he was moved to Anaheim but the trade was nullified by the league because the Ducks were on his list.

You would think a team would look at a player’s contract once they acquired him but I guess the onus was on the Sens disclosing this information.