Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Could all of us fans who watch the games be wrong about this Bryson guy?

Not bloody likely!

What in the blazes is going on here?

Fortunately, it's regarding a fringe player and not the starting netminder.  But watching them decide that Bryson & UPL have to be keepers is like watching Muckler decide that Hasek wasn't a starting caliber goalie.  

They've made up their minds and no amount of on ice results will alter their view.  Fortunately, after a couple of years Muckler was forced to accept reality.  Would be nice if management could get to that point before losing any more reasonable players for nada.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Believer said:

Seems when it comes to player development, Granato believes in progress… not perfection.

Which is fine.  Provided the floor is NHL caliber production.  Progressing towards that is not what the NHL is for; it is what Ra-cha-cha is for.

• Like (+1) 1

Stillman was OK at times, but it's not exactly surprising that Bryson was able to beat out that list of players. Nobody likes their 7D, but if there is any problem with this team it's not that Bryson was chosen over those guys but that the couple guys above him might be weaker players as well

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

In fairness:

- Bryson did look better in camp than he did last year.  He’s 25.  Soupy didn’t become half-decent in the D zone until he was 26ish.

- Like many of us, I thought Stillman earned the spot over Bryson, but IMHO it was like comparing a C to a C-plus.  I think very few of us want either of them playing much this year.

- Bryson definitely has higher offensive upside than Stillman does.

- I think it’s pretty likely that UPL would be claimed if waived and losing him in that manner would be lousy asset management.

We’ll see.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

- I think it’s pretty likely that UPL would be claimed if waived and losing him in that manner would be lousy asset management.

Odds are, given his stats and pre-season performance, that he wouldn’t be claimed.  If he is, so what!  He likely has no trade value and therefore no asset value, so what are we losing except a bad goalie who isn’t helping the team.  In truth Cooley and Tokarski are as good if not better players.  

Dumping him would open a roster spot for someone who might actually help the team like Savoie or Biro or open a spot for a waiver claim from another team.  I’ve seen a few D on the waivers who I would much rather have than Clague, Bryson or Stillman such as Caleb Jones or a goalie like Dreidger.

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

In fairness:

- Bryson did look better in camp than he did last year.  He’s 25.  Soupy didn’t become half-decent in the D zone until he was 26ish.

- Like many of us, I thought Stillman earned the spot over Bryson, but IMHO it was like comparing a C to a C-plus.  I think very few of us want either of them playing much this year.

- Bryson definitely has higher offensive upside than Stillman does.

We’ll see.  

I totally agree on UPL. If they put him on waivers he would be picked up in a heartbeat.

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I wonder what Calgary would want for Markstrom?

How does Bryson keep surviving cutdown day? His ability to play both sides maybe?

Markstrom might be an interesting pickup. 

Edited by SabresBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.