Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In the Extensions thread, I suggested that Mitts might get an extension sooner than later if he continues to excel partially because of his friendship with DC and Raz.  Those 3 are also close to Bryson.  Was locker-room harmony a factor in keeping Bryson over Stillman?

I don't think it would be correct to characterize it as "because he's Dahlin's friend" influencing roster decisions

I do think "wants to be here" and "he's a Sabre" do influence roster decisions and can often be congruent with the above.

Semi-related, I think people are overlooking the contract with Bryson.

I don't mean the Sabres are keeping him up because they don't want to be paying him that much to be in the minors.

I mean the Sabres gave him that contract because it represents what they think of him as hockey player. They agree he was disappointing last year, but they don't think last year represents who he is. He is being given a chance at redemption.

Like the goalies, most of us disagree. We'll see who's right.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In the Extensions thread, I suggested that Mitts might get an extension sooner than later if he continues to excel partially because of his friendship with DC and Raz.  Those 3 are also close to Bryson.  Was locker-room harmony a factor in keeping Bryson over Stillman?

In the other thread I answered that I hoped not, but if Stillman and Bryson were otherwise equal but Bryson is better plugged into the other players on the roster then... maybe?  And maybe that's not a bad thing?  To me that kind of sounds like you have to lay off one person and you two candidates equal ability and you start looking at things like which one takes more sick days.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:52 AM, PASabreFan said:

Thank you. Benson gets the benefit of the doubt, a spot on an NHL team at 18 after a strong preseason. But Bryson can't earn a spot for the very same reason.

There is no comparison between Benson and Bryson, they are not at the same level.   Benson looks like he could be a impact player, Bryson has been stinking up the joint for a few years now.  

Bryson "earns" a spot, Stillman does not.  I can get on board in trusting in Granato, and Bryson plays the kind of game that DG likes, so Bryson is in.   Lets all  remember that kind of game gave up 300 goals last year.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/3/2023 at 7:34 PM, LGR4GM said:

What's his xgf% or corsi% or eye test looking like?

I'll predict if, and that's a big IF, Victor Olofsson stays in Buffalo all season he has 22.5 goals or less. 

On 10/3/2023 at 7:41 PM, JohnC said:

I disagree with your goal expectation. We'll just have to wait and see. 

shocked classic film GIF by Turner Classic Movies

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.