Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is it just me or do the Sabres seem a little slow and behind in terms of decisions on sending guys back to junior, releases, AHL, etc.   Like they truly can't decide on a lot of guys. 

Not really, we play 7 preseason games and don't plan to play our starters in all 7 so you need bodies. There could also be gamesmanship in Adams intending to dump all his AHL forwards at once when everyone else does to deter claims.

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is it just me or do the Sabres seem a little slow and behind in terms of decisions on sending guys back to junior, releases, AHL, etc.   Like they truly can't decide on a lot of guys. 

KA may be trying to time the waiver wire. Wait until a day where there are tons of guys on waivers so that his guys have a better chance of sliding through.

• Agree 2

It looks like we are down to 33 players remaining in camp

20 forwards, 10 defense, and 3 goalies

The 20 forwards breakdown as follows - 12 NHL vets, 3 AHL vets (Biro, Rousek, and Murray), 2 AHL kids (Kulich and Rosen), 2 CHL prospects (Benson & Savoie), and 1 on IR (Quinn).

The D breakdown as follows - 8 NHL vets, 1 NHL/AHL vet (Clague), and rookie Ryan Johnson.

The 3 goalies are the returnees from last season (Levi, UPL, and Comrie).

The Roster questions remain"

1) Who gets Quinn's slot - Rousek (waiver exempt), Biro (must clear), Murray (must clear), Kulich (waiver exempt), Rosen (waiver exempt), Savoie (injured and goes back to the CHL) or Benson (CHL bound if he doesn't win the job).  Right now Benson or Biro seem like the front runners.

2) How many D will we carry and can Ryan Johnson earn an NHL job in camp?  The top 6 are set leaving Stillman, Bryson, Clague and Johnson (waiver exempt) to fight for 1 maybe 2 slots.  I think Johnson starts in Rochester, but he has looked very poised with the puck.

3) Will we carry 2 or 3 goalies and who is the primary backup to Levi? Comrie has looked better in camp so far.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The 20 forwards breakdown as follows - 12 NHL vets, 3 AHL vets (Biro, Rousek, and Murray), 2 AHL kids (Kulich and Rosen), and 2 CHL prospects (Benson & Savoie).

The D breakdown as follows - 8 NHL vets, 1 NHL/AHL vet (Clague), and rookie Ryan Johnson.

1) Who gets Quinn's slot - Rousek (waiver exempt), Biro (must clear), Murray (must clear), Kulich (waiver exempt), Rosen (waiver exempt), Savoie (injured and goes back to the CHL) or Benson (CHL bound if he doesn't win the job).  Right now Benson or Biro seem like the front runners.

2) How many D will we carry and can Ryan Johnson earn an NHL job in camp?  The top 6 are set leaving Stillman, Bryson, Clague and Johnson (waiver exempt) to fight for 1 maybe 2 slots.  I think Johnson starts in Rochester, but he has looked very poised with the puck.

3) Will we carry 2 or 3 goalies and who is the primary backup to Levi? Comrie has looked better in camp so far.

With the way Biro has looked I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets picked up on waivers if that’s the route KA goes. 

Comrie has outplayed UPL IMO. Stillman or Clague will get the last spot to open the season since it’s the safe bet. Johnson has a chance to steal it when he gets called up for injuries. Bryson I have to think is done. 

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The 20 forwards breakdown as follows - 12 NHL vets, 3 AHL vets (Biro, Rousek, and Murray), 2 AHL kids (Kulich and Rosen), and 2 CHL prospects (Benson & Savoie).

Are you including Quinn in your 30 forwards or am I missing someone?  Your forward breakdown equals 19.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Are you including Quinn in your 30 forwards or am I missing someone?  Your forward breakdown equals 19.

Quinn is the 20th.  I didn’t include him in my 12 NHLers because while on the camp roster he isn’t really competing for job right now. I fixed the post for clarity. Thx.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I really hope they don't keep 3 goalies, doing so takes away a spot for a Benson or a Biro or another youngster who would benefit from the experience of being on an NHL squad, opposed to keeping 3 goalies which I can only imagine is to protect their egos? 

I think 3 goalies is rare. If Anderson could have played more than once a week they may have gone with 2 last year.

UPL is young to give up on but he needs AHL time imo. Whether he clears waivers or gets traded is a mystery.

Rochester would have three good candidates if UPL, Tokarski and Cooley were there.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think the extended look at Johnson is a look at him making the NHL out of camp as much as an evaluation of his readiness to be called up in the event of injury to the NHL roster. Basically he's fighting to be the first call up.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I don't think the extended look at Johnson is a look at him making the NHL out of camp as much as an evaluation of his readiness to be called up in the event of injury to the NHL roster. Basically he's fighting to be the first call up.

While I agree Johnson starts in Rochester, as I wrote in my post, his play might dictate whether or not KA keeps 7 or 8 D in Buffalo.  I believe Johnson may actually be the 7th best D in the organization.  If management agrees that he is the 7th or 8th best D in the organization, then there is no reason to keep more than 7 D in Buffalo.  The reason you don't start him in Buffalo is because there is no benefit from sitting him in the pressbox waiting for an injury.  He needs to be playing and gaining experience.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Do not like VO with Cozens and Peterka 

Yeah, and personally don't like Jokiharju with Power.  😉

Granato has been considering Greenway - Mittelstadt - Tuch something to look into for a while.  If he keeps that together, and expect he will for the next 2 games, no idea on how well it will work so no idea on whether it will stay together for the trip to the Island then unless Olofsson has already been declared the 13 or 14 that's where he goes.  No way he plays with Thompson and Skinner.

Plus, considering Cozens will be on the PK and likely the PP1, there is a bit of sense to having him center the "3rd line."  He'll still be getting more ice time than Mittelstadt overall.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

eah, and personally don't like Jokiharju with Power.  😉

Don't like the Joki Power matchup either.  Doesn't anyone on the Sabres actually look at our analytics?

Also not sold on the Cozens line, but am intrigued by the All-American beef line of Tuch, Mitts, and Greenway.  That line should be able to out physical anyone they play now that Mitts is also playing that game.  This line is clearly DG modeling a line after the Foligno

Erickson-Ekk Greenway line but with higher-skilled players.  

Benson remains with TNT.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m not sure there is a combination that includes VO that we’d like. I kinda look at it as he’s the placeholder for Quinn.

I will say that a Tuch/Mitts/Greenway line has the potential to be a load in all three zones. As in, I’d be comfortable matching them up against top lines in a way that takes the sting out of breaking up Tuch/Tage/Skinner.

Also, we’ve seen variations of the above so frequently I will be kinda shocked if we don’t start the season exactly like the Tweet says. 

In my opinion, Benson making the roster, where Greenway and Olofsson slot in on the lines, and who the spares will be are the only things still up for debate.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I agree Johnson starts in Rochester, as I wrote in my post, his play might dictate whether or not KA keeps 7 or 8 D in Buffalo.  I believe Johnson may actually be the 7th best D in the organization.  If management agrees that he is the 7th or 8th best D in the organization, then there is no reason to keep more than 7 D in Buffalo.  The reason you don't start him in Buffalo is because there is no benefit from sitting him in the pressbox waiting for an injury.  He needs to be playing and gaining experience.  

I think there is zero possibility that R. Johnson makes the team out of camp.  His D-zone decision-making is miles away from NHL-ready.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure there is a combination that includes VO that we’d like. I kinda look at it as he’s the placeholder for Quinn.

I will say that a Tuch/Mitts/Greenway line has the potential to be a load in all three zones. As in, I’d be comfortable matching them up against top lines in a way that takes the sting out of breaking up Tuch/Tage/Skinner.

Also, we’ve seen variations of the above so frequently I will be kinda shocked if we don’t start the season exactly like the Tweet says. 

In my opinion, Benson making the roster, where Greenway and Olofsson slot in on the lines, and who the spares will be are the only things still up for debate.

I think people are being a little unfair about VO.  Yes, the guy is allergic to two-way play, but so are Skinner, Thompson amongst other forwards in our lineup.  VO has also posted 20 or more goals in 3 of the last 4 seasons and we have also seen him play excellent overall hockey at points, especially when he got healthy in the second half of 21/22.  Yes, he was benched late last year, but he is playing for a new contract.  Don't be surprised if he has his best season ever.  His speed, great release, and decent passing make him a solid offensive fit with JJP and Cozens.  I suspect they'll be getting a lot of ozone starts.  Remember this is a line with two guys who can score 30+ and a young stud who is easily capable of scoring 20.  How many teams can boast a potential 3rd scoring line that can pot 80 goals?

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think there is zero possibility that R. Johnson makes the team out of camp.  His D-zone decision-making is miles away from NHL-ready.

I agree.  It's why I wrote he'll start the season in Rochester because "He needs to be playing and gaining experience."  My point was he may be the 7th best D in the organization and management may feel comfortable with only keeping 7 D (Stillman as the 7th) in Buffalo, because of how well Johnson looks.   

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This would mean more of a balance of lines, 3 that are a scoring threat.

TNT, Skinner and Tuch are great together but I am curious to see breakouts and zone entries with Tuch and a left handed C (Mitts). Tuch being on Mitts’ strong side should mean some nice setups for Tuch’s speed and shot. I have no clue on fancy stats for this stuff but I have always liked the most skilled winger to be on the C’s strong side, forehand passes vs backhand. Once they enter the zone it is less important as guys cycle around. That line would be a handful in the offensive zone.

Cozens would almost be 3C in this scenario, because of having to carry VO. Cozens would have to be the defensive conscience as well as drive the line offensively. This is where JJP can make a difference if he takes a step forward, being better on D and carrying the mail through the neutral zone. An engaged VO would make this line dangerous.

I don’t know of many teams that could match three lines with that much firepower. Quinn’s return will add to the riches.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Thing with UPL is interesting. Who claims him AND can keep him on the NHL roster if he gets waived. I don’t think anyone does at this point. 

Looking only at teams with cap space and then narrowing it down I came up with 3 teams who might claim him:

- Chicago's current backup is waivers exempt and has 18 games NHL experience with basically UPL numbers.

- CBJ just claimed Spencer Martin which suggests to me they're going to waive Tarasov (I don't see them waiving Merzlikins). UPL is probably an upgrade on Spencer Martin.

- Tampa: UPL is an upgrade over Jonas Johansson who is the starter now that Vasi is out. In the very least, UPL is an upgrade over the backup who washed out of the AHL 3 years ago before making a comeback this year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.