Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

I'm a little surprised that's it. I guess we still have 4 more preseason games left (counting tonight), but I'd have thought we'd start trying to flush out the last 1-2 roster spots, defensive pairings and determine which 2 goalies we want to keep. 

I think the goalie battle is probably most important. I'd like to see them play behind our actual defense. I think a lot of the players don't have a realistic shot at making the team and could safely be returned. Hopefully we see at least Clifton and/or Erik Johnson tonight.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I would think that Amerks training camps starts Sunday or Monday.  At that point, the players left in Sabres camp is whittled down to 30 or so. 

Ah. If that's the case maybe they stick around until just before or just after the Saturday afternoon game with Columbus. Especially since there is a big gap (compared to this week's insane schedule of games) until the next game on Wednesday

All the junior players are now gone save Benson.

AHL guys are still needed for tonight and maybe Saturday, but I suspect they’ll be a massive cut soon where they’ll break off into their own camp by Sunday or Monday and the main camp will get down to about 30

I suspect most of Rosen, Kulich, Benson, Johnson will survive that cut.

It will be interesting to see how many of the guys like Weissbach, Davidson, Biro, Rousek will.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I'm a little surprised that's it. I guess we still have 4 more preseason games left (counting tonight), but I'd have thought we'd start trying to flush out the last 1-2 roster spots, defensive pairings and determine which 2 goalies we want to keep. 

I think the goalie battle is probably most important. I'd like to see them play behind our actual defense. I think a lot of the players don't have a realistic shot at making the team and could safely be returned. Hopefully we see at least Clifton and/or Erik Johnson tonight.

We play the Blue Jackets on Saturday and then nothing again until Wednesday. I would guess there will be more cuts after tonight and then most of the remainder after Saturday's game. That would give the actual Sabres and a few extras still in the running 2 full games to get up to speed. 

4 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Pleasantly surprised with Panocha. For an 18 year old who went in the 7th round only two months ago, I thought he played better than expected. Granted, him making even the AHL as a 7th round pick is a reach, but Buffalo has until 2027 to sign him so he's got plenty of time left to improve.

At the prospects tournament he had impressive moments and moment where he made some brain farts.

There is an interesting package there for a 7th round pick if he can unlock it.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We play the Blue Jackets on Saturday and then nothing again until Wednesday. I would guess there will be more cuts after tonight and then most of the remainder after Saturday's game. That would give the actual Sabres and a few extras still in the running 2 full games to get up to speed. 

They likely will send 2/3's of the Amerks down sometime after Saturday's game and then leave 8 or so guys that they are still considering for roster spots and 1st callups with the team until after the last preseason game.  The 1st RS game isn't until the 11th so there'll be plenty of time for practicing with the "real" lines after exhibition season is done for the guys that actually are Sabres.

Will be interesting to see how they deploy the goalies these last 4 games.  Could see them giving Levi the start tonight and in the last game and giving Comrie and UPL the others to see if either will claim the backup role.  And should Cooley (sp?) or Tokarski get a start, expect Eric and Ukka need to be on the phone to their agents saying "tell them to trade me right ####ing now."  (But doubt that's the plan.  Though we shall see.)

UPL is the worst of the three goalies so far. I waive UPL hope he clears and send him to the Rochester Americans for the season. Devon Levi the starter and Eric Comrie the backup are my two goalies for opening night. If UPL is claimed good luck no great loss the Buffalo Sabres have sunk enough time in waiting on this guy he is worse than Linus Ullmark who I wasn’t a fan of either. All I know is if Devon Levi isn’t the starting goalie for opening night than I question Don Granato competence as a head coach. Enough is enough the Buffalo Sabres need to make the playoffs and play there best players no more the future is bright crap year after year in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

UPL is the worst of the three goalies so far. I waive UPL hope he clears and send him to the Rochester Americans for the season. Devon Levi the starter and Eric Comrie the backup are my two goalies for opening night. If UPL is claimed good luck no great loss the Buffalo Sabres have sunk enough time in waiting on this guy he is worse than Linus Ullmark who I wasn’t a fan of either. All I know is if Devon Levi isn’t the starting goalie for opening night than I question Don Granato competence as a head coach. Enough is enough the Buffalo Sabres need to make the playoffs and play there best players no more the future is bright crap year after year in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I want neither Comrie or UPL at this point.  I'd rather sign Halak.

8 hours ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

Linus Ullmark won the vezina so yes UPL is worse than him. What an odd comparison. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

That appears to confirm that VO is being given every opportunity to win Quinns spot while he’s out.

Tuchs gotta be hurt, right?

And I continue to not like Power-Joki

I wonder if they're rotating Johnson in there in practices.  If they split Samuelsson from Dahlin to go L-R, i wonder how joker would play with Muel. 

2 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I wonder if they're rotating Johnson in there in practices.  If they split Samuelsson from Dahlin to go L-R, i wonder how joker would play with Muel. 

That could work, letting Joki be more of a puck mover while Mule holds down the fort. 
The flip side is can EJ handle the workload of 2nd pairing?

So 

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is probably the group that will be here on Monday after cuts 

So one of the bottom 6 to the press box and the other 5 to Rochester?

With Tuch Mitts and Greenway the other line?

Or Tuch to the first line, one of the bottom 6 with Mitts and Greenway and Benson goes home?

It’s become abundantly clear they are seriously considering keeping Benson.

• Agree 1

Just now, French Collection said:

The flip side is can EJ handle the workload of 2nd pairing?

He pulled 77 games two years ago with 17:17 ATOI and 63 games last season with 17:15 ATOI. If Muel can lift up Joker allowing for more balanced minutes for all pairs on 5v5, and Dahlin/Clifton/Muel eat the PK minutes (EJ was never going to be on the PP anyway so that doesn't matter), that 16-17 minutes might be a reasonable expectation for 2nd pair 5v5.

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Here you are @dudacek

This is how I see the competition at forward.

Biro, Jost and Rousek are battling for the 13th forward spot.

They are giving Benson a long hard look at a spot, which he deserves while Kulich/Rosen wait in the wings.

Savoie is the wild card in this picture while Murray is filler.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.