Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #24 Dylan Cozens

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #24 Dylan Cozens  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Dylan Cozens this year?

• A bit of a backslide in production while he concentrates on his defensive game
    • Similar numbers offensively with better results defensively
    • All around improvement as he takes a step to becoming an NHL star

Jack Hughes (43 points) and Tim Stutzle (32 points) took tremendous leaps in production last year to become stars and the two highest scoring U22 players in the NHL. Number three on that list was Cozens, who scored 31 goals as part of a 30-point jump that helped him earn a 7-year $50 million contract. Overall, he finished 41st in the league in goals and 61st in points— clear 1st-line numbers — and was a particularly dangerous player in offensive transition.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=197770

Cozens work ethic and physical bent helped disguise some holes defensively; his possession numbers were among the worst of the team’s regular forwards. That said, he was used in a clear 2C role for most of the season, flanked by 2 rookies. He enters this season being challenged to improve his play in his own zone while at the same time pursuing 40 goals and 80 points as viable targets in year 4.

What do you expect from Cozens this year?

(Last year’s takes here)

No way he peaked at 21-22 years old.

His offensive numbers may not go up too much, but his all round game has much room to grow. He is still maturing physically and will win more battles while gaining experience in how to play better.

This kid is driven and will be an important leader in the playoff drive. His skill set will be perfect for playoff hockey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Cozens attitude and approach to the game seem beyond reproach.

I'm curious about the ceiling on his talent.

His U22 season production of 68 points was the 5th-best in franchise history. It's hard to make exact comparisons between eras, but it fits with hall-of-famers Perreault (74), turgeon (79) and Andreychuk (62), as well as stars like Mogilny (64), Martin (73), Gare (73) and Eichel (64).

I'm not as confident of him taking the next step as I am about Power, but he's definitely a piece that has that potential.

It won’t be this season, but I still believe by the back half of their contracts, Cozens is the top all-zones center and Tage is the amazing, offensive zone dynamo who demands your best defensemen and checking line, much to our collective delight. 
Mitts is the logical top6/Quinn replacement. It means Mitts could be in line for a $6-7M contract in 2024.

I think if JJP remains on his left the RW is an open rotation as many as 10 games into the season. 
Greenway, VO, Mitts, Rousek, Savoie/Benson/Kulich (however unlikely), and even Okposo. Why could KO be possible? The board work and defensive mindset paired with a much stronger all around 3rd line featuring Mitts/Greenway.

• 1 month later...
Just now, inkman said:

Maybe hurt, maybe squeezing the stick too hard.  Maybe the weight of the contract is weighing heavily. Meatballs needs to work his magic here. 

Well that and he doesn't have Quinn/Peterka on his wings.  Instead it's the island of misfit toys line.

• Like (+1) 2

Some of the team is going to regress from last year’s career high personal stats and Cozey is a likely one for this to happen.  38 points the season before to 68 points last season—with no pressure to produce.  

A lot is different and he’s still super young.  I would love to have Cozey’s baseline to be 31G, 37A, 68 pts, but that’s probably closer to his ceiling than his floor with his toolset (at this point in his career).  He has plenty of time and room to grow that ceiling tho!

Edited by Porous Five Hole

Agree he looks "off", but I am wondering if he also had a slow start last season?  My failing memory seems to think I had some worries about him early last season as well, but that he then later certainly got his act together.  Anybody have his stats for his first half vs. second half of the season in 22-23?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.