Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

Please don't read ulterior motives or implications into this question:

What are the differences between Benson's game and 5'10" 170-pound playmaking winger Patrick Kane's in 2007?

I know Patrick Kane was a #1 pick, but that draft was hardly comparable to this year's in terms of quality up top:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

Are we talking similar scouting reports, it's just that Kane's dominance was better by a degree?

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What are the differences between Benson's game and 5'10" 170-pound playmaking winger Patrick Kane's in 2007?

I know Patrick Kane was a #1 pick, but that draft was hardly comparable to this year's in terms of quality up top:

Are we talking similar scouting reports, it's just that Kane's dominance was better by a degree?

Kane was an offensive juggernaut. Defence was for other members of his team.

Benson doesn’t have the offensive chops Kane had but is very good offensively. He excels defensively as well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That was a weak draft. Kane really stands out. 

Kane’s numbers were similar to Bedard’s.

Kane outscored Benson by 50 points in their draft year, that is a lot of points. Both were in the CHL.

There was much more balanced scoring on the Winnipeg team while Kane’s London team was top heavy. Just guessing but Kane probably got 2 minutes of PP time, every time.

I would have to say Kane was a much better prospect than Benson at 18.

There are definite similarities to their games as well as their physical size.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s a similar offensive profile but Kane was just flat out more skilled.  Better stick handling and better shot.

In Kane’s draft year in the OHL he had 62 goals and 145 points in 58 games.  Bonkers production.  Compared to Benson’s 36 goals and 98 points in 60 games in the WHL, still great but just doesn’t compare.

On the other hand, Benson was regarded as an excellent defensive forward in juniors, while Kane was basically considered a one way player even back then.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'd just like to add, I think if you track historically the Canadian Juniors scoring, it's trended down as defensive systems and players cut up to the high skilled forwards. 

That said, I haven't actually looked and might be full of *****. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I'll add on a bit. Kane uses stick handling to beat you and then his skating to exploit that. Benson has lesser handling but better manipulation. It's basically 6 to 1 versus half a dozens. Kane attacks you, handles, beats. Benson attacks the space near you, gets you into that space, then either handles or passes to beat. Kane had a better shot and was faster. 

Now others have already mentioned this but Kane didn't post a ton of defense in Jr's and that's a stark contrast to Benson. Benson is one of if not the best 2way forward in this draft class. His stick checks are borderline brilliant for timing and how he does it. Benson also cuts through the hands of forwards when he can, that disrupts the handling. Benson also is insanely smart in all zones, he works vertical and horizontal when he comes back. He understands how defense is layered and how you exploit it. 

Kane was a Ferrari. 

Benson is like a Hellcat.

It Benson were 5'11" he would have gone top 8.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd just like to add, I think if you track historically the Canadian Juniors scoring, it's trended down as defensive systems and players cut up to the high skilled forwards. 

That said, I haven't actually looked and might be full of *****. 

No I don’t think you’re full of it.

Like other leagues, coaching and goaltending has improved a lot. It’s more Wild West than the NHL but games are more disciplined.

Looking at Kane’s draft class, the only goalie I recognize as an NHLer is Scott Darling, and he’s not exactly good. Darling played 126 games and only three others from that class got in any games, with 11 being the most.

Edited by French Collection

Kane led his entire league in points, 11 points ahead of the next guy.

Benson was 3rd in his, 9 behind the 2nd-place guy.

I compare Benson to the 2nd because #1 was Bedard, whose numbers relative to the league in his draft year look generational.

Both Benson and Kane were the leading scorers of a loaded team. 

Kane was +42, Benson +68.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, SwampD said:

LGR’s right. It’s the bread.

+1, I'm generally disappointed whenever I have subs that the bread is kinda mush. DiBella's helped Wegman's set up their sub shop, so there's a solid heritage there.

Primo Hoagies is the best bread of any sub I've even had and probably the best cold cuts too. Focused in Southeast PA, but I see they've been expanding to Pittsburgh, NE PA, Albany NY, and a handful in other parts of the country.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/2/2023 at 9:33 AM, PASabreFan said:

Always have heard about Wegmans subs. What makes them so good?

On 7/2/2023 at 9:34 AM, LGR4GM said:

The bread

On 7/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, SwampD said:

LGR’s right. It’s the bread.

Wegman’s subs are basically DiBella’s subs. They purchased the rights? Recipe? Idk but I do know they are the same.  And it’s definitely the bread. Makes it breaks any sandwich.  Good sub almost always = great bread. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

Kane led his entire league in points, 11 points ahead of the next guy.

Benson was 3rd in his, 9 behind the 2nd-place guy.

I compare Benson to the 2nd because #1 was Bedard, whose numbers relative to the league in his draft year look generational.

Both Benson and Kane were the leading scorers of a loaded team. 

Kane was +42, Benson +68.

I think that top point is a really key point. Comparing a guy to their league peers and team peers should really give you a feel for what they could become. 

Also, I found my Benson comparable, Seth Jarvis. 5'10" 98pts in his draft year, plays a good 2way game, was drafted 13th overall.

Edited by LGR4GM
I can't spell

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Wegman’s subs are basically DiBella’s subs. They purchased the rights? Recipe? Idk but I do know they are the same.  And it’s definitely the bread. Makes it breaks any sandwich.  Good sub almost always = great bread. 

When Wegman's started selling subs, they literally were making and selling DiBella's in Wegman's under the Wegman's brand.  DiBella's pulled out of Wegman's years ago but Wegman's still pretty much makes the DiBella's subs.  No idea whether they kept the recipe or changed it up slightly when DiBella's stopped running the Wegman's sub shops but they're still essentially DiBella's. 

You can't really go wrong with either.  Amiel's makes a very good sub too.  Would put the subs in Ra-cha-cha (or Buffalo too, they've got some great sub shops as well) with the best anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

Without going through the thread … just preading the last few.  My brain is having trouble trouble how it is possible the Benson topic has diverted to a conversation about Wegmans. 

1) was he spotted at a Wegmans? 
2) his baby face makes him more likely to work at Wegmans than be a top NHL prospect 

honestly can’t think of anything else 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Bread is an under-rated part of any sandwich....and a lot of that has to do with Water.

Everyone in their own city/region thinks they have the best pizza (due in part to the crust) or the best bread...or best 'whatver food' and they are convinced of it. Why? They are USED to the water in their region...the same water that goes into their pizza crust, their bread, their pasta is boiled in, etc.

My wife is from NY city and has friends that are 100% convinced that their sandwiches/bread/pasta/pizza is the best in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.  Its not just their 'civic pride' though in all cases. They are used to the taste/mineral conted of that NY city water so when their food is cooked in it, to them it is the best (same thing in other regions/cities.)

17 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Without going through the thread … just preading the last few.  My brain is having trouble trouble how it is possible the Benson topic has diverted to a conversation about Wegmans. 

1) was he spotted at a Wegmans? 
2) his baby face makes him more likely to work at Wegmans than be a top NHL prospect 

honestly can’t think of anything else 

Its the offseason, topics tend to get off topic a bit more as there is less overall to talk about regarding the teams/players.

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Bread is an under-rated part of any sandwich....and a lot of that has to do with Water.

Everyone in their own city/region thinks they have the best pizza (due in part to the crust) or the best bread...or best 'whatver food' and they are convinced of it. Why? They are USED to the water in their region...the same water that goes into their pizza crust, their bread, their pasta is boiled in, etc.

My wife is from NY city and has friends that are 100% convinced that their sandwiches/bread/pasta/pizza is the best in the world and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.  Its not just their 'civic pride' though in all cases. They are used to the taste/mineral conted of that NY city water so when their food is cooked in it, to them it is the best (same thing in other regions/cities.)

Its the offseason, topics tend to get off topic a bit more as there is less overall to talk about regarding the teams/players.

I always thought the NYC water thing was an old wives take that NYC people made up due to civic pride.  Turns out, it might be a thing. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/does-nyc-water-make-a-difference-in-pizza-quality

Some people are comparing Benson to Marner, skill and size wise.

Marner scored 126 points in 63 games in his draft year and 116 points in 57 games in his D+1 year. These numbers are between Kane and Benson for draft year.

It will be fun to see how he turns out. If he hits his ceiling, a bunch of other teams will look bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.