Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

48 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I haven't commented yet, but after reading the comments so far...

-Some seem to think he has a chance of making the team with Quinn being out. I think there is virtually no chance of that.

-I like reading that a lot of sites/pundits say he should have/could have gone higher. That is good.  I'm not a big fan of the way they describe his style of play. I mean, nothing wrong with great vision, hard work in the D-zone and one of the best playmakers in the draft.  Its just me, personally, I like wingers sho may be lacking in those areas IF they are kinda fast and kinda big at the same time, or just plain fast.

Doubt he does make the team even with Quinn out.  But IF they're giving Savoie a 9 game look at the beginning of the season AND as those that watched Winnipeg play universally say that Benson was better; then wtf wouldn't they also let Benson earn 9 games (if he in fact is good enough to earn the look see)?

And prior to the 2 game AHL stint, was expecting Savoie to get that look see, but he'll have to play much better in camp to earn a short stay with the big club.  So, it's possible neither earns a 9 game tryout; but wouldn't rule out allowing both of them to at least get a few games.  Almost all the Sabres early games are in Buffalo.  It'd be very easy to call somebody up if there's an injury as this would essentially have them keeping 1 spare D on the team and 1 spare F on the team.  (Wouldn't put both Savoie and Benson in the same game unless they're really lighting it up.)

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Doubt he does make the team even with Quinn out.  But IF they're giving Savoie a 9 game look at the beginning of the season AND as those that watched Winnipeg play universally say that Benson was better; then wtf wouldn't they also let Benson earn 9 games (if he in fact is good enough to earn the look see)?

And prior to the 2 game AHL stint, was expecting Savoie to get that look see, but he'll have to play much better in camp to earn a short stay with the big club.  So, it's possible neither earns a 9 game tryout; but wouldn't rule out allowing both of them to at least get a few games.  Almost all the Sabres early games are in Buffalo.  It'd be very easy to call somebody up if there's an injury as this would essentially have them keeping 1 spare D on the team and 1 spare F on the team.  (Wouldn't put both Savoie and Benson in the same game unless they're really lighting it up.)

I will be shocked if either starts the season in Buffalo. Kulich MIGHT get a look on a top line bur most likely it's Rousek who starts the year and when Quinn comes back his play until then will dictate who stays/plays/goes. 

Unless of course free agency changes things but that'll be even more shocking. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I will be shocked if either starts the season in Buffalo. Kulich MIGHT get a look on a top line bur most likely it's Rousek who starts the year and when Quinn comes back his play until then will dictate who stays/plays/goes. 

Unless of course free agency changes things but that'll be even more shocking. 

Most likely it is Rousek.  But, there will be an open competition at camp and considering the timing and the time that Quinn will be out, it gives Savoie &/or Benson their absolute best shot at getting a look after camp closes.  That there are a ton of home games to start the year makes it more possible that they'd "waste" a roster spot on having an extra kid up getting that 9 game look-see.  Not much fear of getting caught short handed due to an injury when Ra-cha-cha is just over an hour away.

Rousek won't slot into Quinn's spot on the 2nd line.  Savoie &/or Benson could slot in there (at least in the 1st 40 minutes of games).

Mainly just playing devil's advocate here to the suggestion that 1 of Savoie or Benson could get their 9 game look because of the injury.  If one gets it, don't see why the other wouldn't as well.

11 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I agree with you that Rosen and Kulich are not NHL ready, but it's worth noting that Kulich put up his numbers despite being 18 for virtually the entire season whereas Quinn was 20 at the start and Peterka turned 20 in January of their AHL season. It's a fair comparison for Rosen.

This is an important observation with Kulich. Not only was he 18 most of the year but it was his first time away from home and he started out very slowly as he adjusted to the game in the AHL.

He scored 2 goals his first 16 games;

7 in his first 32. 

But the latter half his talent really began to shine as he felt more at home and he scored 18 goals in the final 30 games.

A 0.6 goals / game clip. 

I think Baker’s prediction from back just after the season ended is right. Kulich and Savoie will be invited to camp and there is a good chance both will get 10 game stint’s and then go to the WJs and then back to their minor league spots unless they are needed at the end of the year and have really shown they belong. Quinn being out till likely end of December opens up some opportunity.

A difference I see in Kulich from all these young guys being discussed is his shot; he is a true sniper. If he gets with the right line, he can be a deadly scorer. Killer on PP. His passing is slower in developing, though. He’s not the playmaker Quinn is. 

11 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm happy I have to wait 4 years to see him in action

I am hoping he is too good to wait. Haven't really been blown up by Quinn, Peterka and Krebs. I like them but so far they can't carry a Line.

9 hours ago, NAF said:

Do you ever have anything positive to say or is it just constant negativity in the form of gibberish and incomplete sentences? What would you have done then? Adams was definitely working the phones trying to make a move... 

He was Positive, he gave 3 years. Hell I think we are DUN in ONE

9 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

For one I wouldn't have picked at 13  There's more important things than worrying about forward 

So hes making the team? 

Still have a Brain Tumor?

9 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Quinns on i.r. ?

Probably, my guess is if Sabres on Playoff run, Quinn really hasn't established himself as a need back player for success. That isn't dishing him. 1st year player growing. If Sabres are out of playoff run you might see him back.

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why are you insisting on rushing Rosen?  He is still not strong enough and he will get stomped in the NHL. 

Comparing Rosen to Quinn:   Rosen is more than a full year younger, he is 2 inches shorter, he is at least 15 pounds lighter, he does not have an NHL 2-way game  - he is not ready.  He needs another year in the AHL at least. 

Kulich will get a good look in camp and so will Rousek and Savoie.   With Quinn now injured and out for awhile one of them will get a much longer look.  

Thinking that these Rochester players like Rosen and Kulich are going to replace Krebs and Mitts and improve the team THIS YEAR is not reality.  

Who did Granato go to for first line support when Tage was hurt?  Answer:  Mitts 

Who did Granato give key shut down responsibilities to as the season went on?  Answer: Krebs 

Power wasn't strong enough, Quinn and Peterka wasn't strong enough. Dahin his first few years wasn't strong enough. Almost NO Rookie would be strong enough. They rely on skill and speed, Rosen has it all. 5' 11". That is NOT small.

First, your assuming Rosen hasn't been working out and Granto hasn't given him a path. I also listen to other people on Podcasts and they all love Rosen to make the team and have touted him as a Leader heading into Amerks Playoffs. He has grown a lot in Leadership and has proven this in the Amerks Playoff run. His tools are better then Kulich's. So I will listen to them first and my own eyes watching Rosen in Amerks Playoffs.

Personally I think Rousek will make team first, he is a Two way player and PK.

Last point, how did it work bringing in Savoie with no time with Amerks. Savoie flopped. Benched after two losses. Bringing in Amerks when Thompson went down would fail. Even Mitt didn't replace Thompson's production. He did at least keep the 1st line in the mix.

We have a whole offseason to upgrade Sabres in trades UFA/RFA's, Rochester, Minors and our own players upgrading skills. If you think Rochester isn't a BIG way for the Sabres to do that then you haven't been a part of the Sabres as long as I have. The 12 years of no playoffs occured because Rochester wasn't part of the Sabres for years and we had no Farm Team local. Takes awhile to build that back up.

Amerks have arrived before the Sabres as it should be. Sabres will follow from talent back filing Positions more than trades and freeagency will.

Thanks for your time and wisdom

Edited by TRIP65

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good interview.  Polite and confident young man.  

Let’s not forget he is 18.  No way this kid stays at 5’10” either.  He is going to grow much more by 20-21.  

When I was 14 I hit 5'10". I was expecting to be a Giant have 6'5" Uncle. Well by 21 I was still 5'10". Doesn't always happen. My brother was 5'8" at 18 into college. Three years later he was 6' 1". Go figure?

7 hours ago, ... said:

Benson won't be able to immediately play his game in the NHL. He will need time to grow and transition gradually otherwise he'll get crushed. Remember, the NHL is where the world's best hockey players play - even a 4th liner is good compared to the typical competition the elite guys see in the lower leagues.

How did a 8th seed blow through to the Stanley cup then? Not just one game like NFL. Sometime people play over the Evaluation and Logic. You can't measure heart and Grit

6 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe but if you are developing relationships so you get the best insight you dont want screw up those relationships plus James Patrick you dont want to screw that up

The team moved Patrick isn't their Coach anymore

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Why not keep both of them in Buffalo for their 9 game tryouts which gets you through nearly 1/4 of the season before they have to go back and about then Quinn should be ready and if he isn't then Kulich gets his look.

Washington won't be happy about it, but tough noogies.

Why not benefit from 18 games of both players playing same position same line and see who fairs better? They are a lot alike so you would get a fair Assessment for 2024.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

This is an important observation with Kulich. Not only was he 18 most of the year but it was his first time away from home and he started out very slowly as he adjusted to the game in the AHL.

He scored 2 goals his first 16 games;

7 in his first 32. 

But the latter half his talent really began to shine as he felt more at home and he scored 18 goals in the final 30 games.

A 0.6 goals / game clip. 

I think Baker’s prediction from back just after the season ended is right. Kulich and Savoie will be invited to camp and there is a good chance both will get 10 game stint’s and then go to the WJs and then back to their minor league spots unless they are needed at the end of the year and have really shown they belong. Quinn being out till likely end of December opens up some opportunity.

A difference I see in Kulich from all these young guys being discussed is his shot; he is a true sniper. If he gets with the right line, he can be a deadly scorer. Killer on PP. His passing is slower in developing, though. He’s not the playmaker Quinn is. 

That is Olofsson? He has 28 goals in NHL

Just watching the Donnie and Dhali sports show out here in Vancouver (Don Taylor, formerly of Sportsnet). They are saying the Canucks blew it by not taking Benson when they had the chance. They're kinda pissed, lol. The consensus seems to be we got a steal on our hands.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Just watching the Donnie and Dhali sports show out here in Vancouver (Don Taylor, formerly of Sportsnet). They are saying the Canucks blew it by not taking Benson when they had the chance. They're kinda pissed, lol. The consensus seems to be we got a steal on our hands.

We did. All the sour grapes around here are ppl who either believe Pronman, who sucks, or spent their time on Michkov hype and highlights. 

5 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Path to AHL if they rule COVID season a whole season. He would have 4 then.

No there is not. Benson has only 3 whl seasons. 

5 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Why not benefit from 18 games of both players playing same position same line and see who fairs better? They are a lot alike so you would get a fair Assessment for 2024.

Several reasons, but the biggest being you burn a year of each of their ELCs the moment they step on the ice in the 10th game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Super pumped about the pick, but there's a nagging voice in the back of my head that remembers Grigorenko falling down to us... And the sentiment he was a steal where we got him.

Tell me why the voice is wrong... 🙂

A little wrong.  There were red flags with Grigorenko and his place in the rankings dropped leading up to the draft.  There was some doubt about his performance in the playoffs, speculation that he had mono at the tail end of his draft season, or if it was something else.  Grigo was a high risk, high reward pick.  They praised his talent but warned about his ability or willingness to transfer it to the NHL.

Same draft, Girgensons was low risk, low reward.  He was a higher percentage to make the NHL, but at less talent.  We all know who won that race.

Haven’t heard any concerns re the new guy.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Several reasons, but the biggest being you burn a year of each of their ELCs the moment they step on the ice in the 10th game.

Not to jump in here but I think they meant 9 of Savoie and then 9 of Benson. 

On 6/28/2023 at 9:08 PM, Huckleberry said:

Might be Skinners replacement down the line as mentioned.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch 

Mittelstadt - Cozens - Quinn

Benson- Östlund - Savoie

Rousek - Krebs - Kulich

Rosen/weissbach fall out of this for me, but never know what will happen 2 years down the line.

I'd like to see what Savoie-Krebs-Benson would do. These three guys go back for years.

6 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Power wasn't strong enough, Quinn and Peterka wasn't strong enough. Dahin his first few years wasn't strong enough. Almost NO Rookie would be strong enough. They rely on skill and speed, Rosen has it all. 5' 11". That is NOT small.

First, your assuming Rosen hasn't been working out and Granto hasn't given him a path. I also listen to other people on Podcasts and they all love Rosen to make the team and have touted him as a Leader heading into Amerks Playoffs. He has grown a lot in Leadership and has proven this in the Amerks Playoff run. His tools are better then Kulich's. So I will listen to them first and my own eyes watching Rosen in Amerks Playoffs.

Personally I think Rousek will make team first, he is a Two way player and PK.

Last point, how did it work bringing in Savoie with no time with Amerks. Savoie flopped. Benched after two losses. Bringing in Amerks when Thompson went down would fail. Even Mitt didn't replace Thompson's production. He did at least keep the 1st line in the mix.

We have a whole offseason to upgrade Sabres in trades UFA/RFA's, Rochester, Minors and our own players upgrading skills. If you think Rochester isn't a BIG way for the Sabres to do that then you haven't been a part of the Sabres as long as I have. The 12 years of no playoffs occured because Rochester wasn't part of the Sabres for years and we had no Farm Team local. Takes awhile to build that back up.

Amerks have arrived before the Sabres as it should be. Sabres will follow from talent back filing Positions more than trades and freeagency will.

Thanks for your time and wisdom

Gibberish.   There is so much here that is skewed that I think you come here to troll.  

You listen to “other people on Podcasts”, that’s good to know.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.