Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

On 6/29/2023 at 10:50 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

Super pumped about the pick, but there's a nagging voice in the back of my head that remembers Grigorenko falling down to us... And the sentiment he was a steal where we got him.

Tell me why the voice is wrong... 🙂

I use tinfoil to keep the bad voices out.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, French Collection said:

Some people are comparing Benson to Marner, skill and size wise.

Marner scored 126 points in 63 games in his draft year and 116 points in 57 games in his D+1 year. These numbers are between Kane and Benson for draft year.

It will be fun to see how he turns out. If he hits his ceiling, a bunch of other teams will look bad.

Just because Winnipeg didn't win the Memorial Cup is no reason to believe that Benson will be a no show come playoff time.  That's a really unfair comparison IMHO.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Anyone surprised that he didn't get signed? Didn't all the first round picks get signed in the first week last year 

They did and I was wondering about that myself.

Don't think it means much though; neither Power nor Rosen signed immediately the previous draft.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don't think it means much though; neither Power nor Rosen signed immediately the previous draft.

Im old enough to remember the bleating of those worried Power would go back to college for 4 years. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm not concerned but it's a little confusing that they sign Savoie who didn't play .

But the mvp of the camp Doesn't get better treatment? 

Watch him sign today lol

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm not concerned but it's a little confusing that they sign Savoie who didn't play .

But the mvp of the camp Doesn't get better treatment? 

Watch him sign today lol

Why are you confused? They don't need to sign Benson so he isn't signed. This summer or next summer doesn't really matter. 

For reference the Sabres signed all 3 of their 1st round guys last year on July 15th. Sabres have 44 contracts out of 50, idk if they internally want to keep something open but no reason not to sign him other than maybe it just hasn't been a priority at they work on other stuff. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-sign-first-round-picks-matt-savoie-jiri-kulich-noah-Östlund/c-335006690

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why are you confused? They don't need to sign Benson so he isn't signed. This summer or next summer doesn't really matter. 

For reference the Sabres signed all 3 of their 1st round guys last year on July 15th. Sabres have 44 contracts out of 50, idk if they internally want to keep something open but no reason not to sign him other than maybe it just hasn't been a priority at they work on other stuff. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-sign-first-round-picks-matt-savoie-jiri-kulich-noah-Östlund/c-335006690

I'm not worried I'm just confused why He doesn't get signed when he was outstanding in camp and the guy last year signed when he didn't play.

That's all i'm wondering

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Signing of first round picks is a crazy thing. It usually happens at a some random time and we never know the rhyme or reason for it at that time. The three firsts signing the same time last year was out of left field.

They singed all 3 on July 16th last day of development camp 

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Nate Danielson doesn’t have a contract. Not worried if Nate Danielson doesn’t have a contract.

Idk why anyone is worried at all. This is such a stupid waste of hand wringing nonsense that we see constantly and IT NEVER matters. Benson will sign when they get around to signing him or when he's back in town most likely. It doesn't matter. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idk why anyone is worried at all. This is such a stupid waste of hand wringing nonsense that we see constantly and IT NEVER matters. Benson will sign when they get around to signing him or when he's back in town most likely. It doesn't matter. 

I don't think anyone  is worried just strange they signed a guy that didn't play in Development camp last year . But the Guy Was the most impressive in camp is still not signed.

From a players perspective I would be thinking to myself what the hell why am I not signed 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You know... I do kinda see the Datsyuk comparison. I am not at this time willing to make it but I do see it. 

Benson is also good defensively, Datsyuk was a great 200’ player.

I just want Benson to end up better than most of that draft class, so the team can win and elevate their reputation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You know... I do kinda see the Datsyuk comparison. I am not at this time willing to make it but I do see it. 

The second last play is the one that epitomizes Datsyuk to me:  he was one of the best at stealing the puck.  Benson demonstrated that during the 3-on-3.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

OFFICIALLY WORRIED

- - - 

Haha that’s funny timing kinda 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.