Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Character limits: Twitter on many levels

This is awesome.

49 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They had problems with Kane and Bogo, apparently dumping them on Buffalo was not nearly enough. 

Allegedly, getting rid of Kane and Bogosian helped things.

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Twitter can't be idiotic anymore than the library can idiotic or the telephone. It's the users. And Twitter users are idiotic, brilliant and everything in between.

Twitter can be more idiotic because libraries and telephones can’t/don’t disseminate their idiocy at the speed of light to millions around the globe instantaneously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

After the handshake, Davidson mentioned who he actually was and they did not believe him. 

On 8/17/2023 at 3:34 PM, Weave said:

Speaking of twitter…

https://x.com/jayzawaski/status/1692212771117576605?s=46&t=p3ru85CQsNxLZ4fOTNRLJQ

oh man.  Does twitter no longer embed?

It won’t embed for me either 

Ron ("Judas") MacLean recently made comments about Don Cherry's departure from the amazing decades-long feature "Coach's Corner" on HNIC. In my view, MacLean betrayed Cherry by not sticking up for him, and apparently still doesn't to this day. But he's still there and Cherry isn't. https://www.bladeofsteel.com/Ron-Maclean-breaks-his-silence-on-how-Coaches-Corner-came-to-an-end-267550

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

Ron ("Judas") MacLean recently made comments about Don Cherry's departure from the amazing decades-long feature "Coach's Corner" on HNIC. In my view, MacLean betrayed Cherry by not sticking up for him, and apparently still doesn't to this day. But he's still there and Cherry isn't. https://www.bladeofsteel.com/Ron-Maclean-breaks-his-silence-on-how-Coaches-Corner-came-to-an-end-267550

If a guy saves my job on multiple occasions I'm standing by him for anything short of pulling an OJ and even then I'd have to think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I have to agree with you, MacLean did him dirty; at very least stand up for your co-host of 20+ years and let him retire with grace a bit later. 

14 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If a guy saves my job on multiple occasions I'm standing by him for anything short of pulling an OJ and even then I'd have to think about it.

Cherry saved MacLean's job?  (Honest question...)

Edited by Eleven

6 hours ago, Marvin said:

I have a hard time being objective about Don Cherry because some of his antics led to direct threats on my cousin's well-being, but MacLean owes him big time.

I liked him for a while, but to me Cherry had an act that wore a bit thin. I know others loved him, and I watched him for years but once he was off HNIC I didn't really miss him.  I guess I just didn't think he was  objective enough. For the most part the 'good ole canadian kids' were the best players, could do not much wrong, but if you were from overseas someone better help you big time if you made one mistake in his eyes.  Again, he knew his audience (it was hockey night in CANADA), but I prefer a little more objectivity and less homer-ism.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I liked him for a while, but to me Cherry had an act that wore a bit thin. I know others loved him, and I watched him for years but once he was off HNIC I didn't really miss him.  I guess I just didn't think he was  objective enough. For the most part the 'good ole canadian kids' were the best players, could do not much wrong, but if you were from overseas someone better help you big time if you made one mistake in his eyes.  Again, he knew his audience (it was hockey night in CANADA), but I prefer a little more objectivity and less homer-ism.

To be frank his shtick did get annoying, but I certainly feel he got betrayed by the very man he stood up for multiple times. It’s a rather sad story to be honest; Cherry was banished for being overly demonstrative on questionable topics while his former cohost goes politically correct and keeps his role by throwing him under the bus

55 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To be frank his shtick did get annoying, but I certainly feel he got betrayed by the very man he stood up for multiple times. It’s a rather sad story to be honest; Cherry was banished for being overly demonstrative on questionable topics while his former cohost goes politically correct and keeps his role by throwing him under the bus

The only one who threw Don Cherry under the bus was Don Cherry.  He either failed to read the room, or knew the room and did what he did anyway.  He was self destructing.  Mclean did the only think a smart individual would do, he distanced himself from someone who either refused to accept the room changed, or was determined go down in flames to spite the room.

Mclean would have been supremely stupid to follow Cherry down the path of ruin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Weave said:

The only one who threw Don Cherry under the bus was Don Cherry.  He either failed to read the room, or knew the room and did what he did anyway.  He was self destructing.  Mclean did the only think a smart individual would do, he distanced himself from someone who either refused to accept the room changed, or was determined go down in flames to spite the room.

Mclean would have been supremely stupid to follow Cherry down the path of ruin.

MacLean ended up in hot water for 9/11 comments and Cherry stood up for him to the press in 2012.