Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

Just now, thewookie1 said:

MacLean ended up in hot water for 9/11 comments and Cherry stood up for him to the press in 2012. 

And Cherry was a chronic offender who was destroying the HNIC brand, had enormous time to recognize what he was doing and change.  Maclean supporting that, with Cherry refusing to accept that he needed to change would have resulted in everyone losing their job.

Maclean read the room and paid his penance.  That is someone you stand up for.  Not someone who refuses to acknowledge their problem.

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

And Cherry was a chronic offender who was destroying the HNIC brand, had enormous time to recognize what he was doing and change.  Maclean supporting that, with Cherry refusing to accept that he needed to change would have resulted in everyone losing their job.

Maclean read the room and paid his penance.  That is someone you stand up for.  Not someone who refuses to acknowledge their problem.

All he did was bow down to the leftist media outrage. 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2

I watched HNIC for the past 55 years. Don Cherry had some interesting takes over the years and he stood by his ideas forever.

He got a lot of mileage from a journeyman playing career and a few good years coaching a good team. 

I liked quite a few of his shows but he started to wear me out in the second half of his TV career. I couldn’t stand it when he would show footage of himself predicting something years ago and then gloating about it coming true.

He was knowledgeable and watched a ton of hockey but he also predicted hundreds maybe thousands of things over the years. Obviously some predictions would come true but I hated the fact he never admitted he was wrong hundreds of times.

Overall, I liked most of his shows but I don’t miss him.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

All he did is refuse to adapt to changes in public expectations.  He was part if the media.  The media didn’t force him out.  The public that consumes the media forced him out.  If there wasn’t public backlash, the company that employed him wouldn’t have cared.  He was an entertainer who was no longer entertaining because the public changed and he didn’t.  Every business knows you have to change or die. It is as simple as that.  Ron Maclean wasn’t the reason he was let go. The “liberal media” wasn’t the reason he was let go.  He was a dinosaur who’s act was no longer entertaining.  In fact, it had become offensive as he doubled down on it.

1 hour ago, Weave said:
9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

All he did is refuse to adapt to changes in public expectations.  He was part if the media.  The media didn’t force him out.  The public that consumes the media forced him out.  If there wasn’t public backlash, the company that employed him wouldn’t have cared.  He was an entertainer who was no longer entertaining because the public changed and he didn’t.  Every business knows you have to change or die. It is as simple as that.  Ron Maclean wasn’t the reason he was let go. The “liberal media” wasn’t the reason he was let go.  He was a dinosaur who’s act was no longer entertaining.  In fact, it had become offensive as he doubled down on it.

The "he" Wookie is talking about is Maclean; Weave, you're talking about Cherry (I believe).

My response to Wookie is that yes, Maclean bowed down because (as Weave said) he read the room and did what was required to rehab his rep.  Cherry couldn't back down.

https://x.com/tblightning/status/1693978537953276221?s=46&t=6n2ONBbhmYwnQesFyKn49g

Hagel gets paid.   We can argue all day long if the tank worked or not but one thing we can, hopefully,  agree on is that during those years the Sabres sucked at prospect development.  How they didn’t even see a guy worth a few years in the AHL is beyond me

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

https://x.com/tblightning/status/1693978537953276221?s=46&t=6n2ONBbhmYwnQesFyKn49g

Hagel gets paid.   We can argue all day long if the tank worked or not but one thing we can, hopefully,  agree on is that during those years the Sabres sucked at prospect development.  How they didn’t even see a guy worth a few years in the AHL is beyond me

Botterill hated CHL players

• dislike 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Ignoring the best source of future NHL talent was such a Boss move.🤪

To this day I don’t understand why they didn’t sign Hagel when they needed bodies in the organization. Such an awful decision.

Because botteril hated chl players. He wanted 4 years to evaluate his guys not 2.

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

how long till Threads takes over? I kinda like it better but not enough hockey posts as of yet

Meh, not sure. From what I heard (and I haven't been following it), Threads has seen some fall-off already. Reminds me of Google Plus, everyone was excited for it but not enough people really went with it and we all fell back to Facebook. I logged out of my Twitter account when Musk took over and I'm never going back, lol.

15 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm over on Mastodon.  Really not much in the way of "official" accounts there.  Threads was promising because it was supposed to be on the Fediverse which is basically the Mastodon open source backbone.

OK, I'll admit it. I have no idea what any of this is. Clueless. Gives me flashbacks to sitting in Thermodynamics class in college. 😄

31 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

OK, I'll admit it. I have no idea what any of this is. Clueless. Gives me flashbacks to sitting in Thermodynamics class in college. 😄

Basically the Fediverse is something that if you code a platform correctly, anyone can tap into it.  Mastodon is the open source software that does that.  So anyone can set up Mastodon on their server and tap into the Fediverse, which is basically like a decentralized Twitter.  Each server is moderated by the server owner.  They moderate other servers that don't follow common sense rules of decorum by "defederating" from the offending servers (basically, blocking the whole server and all their users).  So instead of a single megalomaniac controlling the platform it's controlled by all the individual server owners.

Threads is a Meta offshoot (Meta owns Facebook and Instagram).  It was developed by Instagram and intended to be similar but more text-based.  It's intended to be a Twitter competitor.  I don't think it's hooked up to the Fediverse yet but there are reports that that is the intent for Threads.  If/when Threads joins the Fediverse it could become a viable alternative and fierce competitor to Twitter.

I have an account on a Mastodon server; I signed up last autumn when there were reports of Twitter's imminent demise (which never happened).  So far it's nothing like Twitter in that there are very few official corporate or professional accounts there, but there are a lot of people there.  I could see Threads injecting that corporate/professional focus that would make me and a lot of other people feel like we can cut the Twitter cord once and for all.

Oh, and I understand about thermo.  I did just well enough to never have to take it again (and even then I think the professor was just being nice).

• Thanks (+1) 1

I had a late friend who was something like employee 75 at Twitter.  Before he passed, he mentioned how much Twitter had twisted what they had hoped it would be -- just a good way for people to stay connected with friends.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Basically the Fediverse is something that if you code a platform correctly, anyone can tap into it.  Mastodon is the open source software that does that.  So anyone can set up Mastodon on their server and tap into the Fediverse, which is basically like a decentralized Twitter.  Each server is moderated by the server owner.  They moderate other servers that don't follow common sense rules of decorum by "defederating" from the offending servers (basically, blocking the whole server and all their users).  So instead of a single megalomaniac controlling the platform it's controlled by all the individual server owners.

Threads is a Meta offshoot (Meta owns Facebook and Instagram).  It was developed by Instagram and intended to be similar but more text-based.  It's intended to be a Twitter competitor.  I don't think it's hooked up to the Fediverse yet but there are reports that that is the intent for Threads.  If/when Threads joins the Fediverse it could become a viable alternative and fierce competitor to Twitter.

I have an account on a Mastodon server; I signed up last autumn when there were reports of Twitter's imminent demise (which never happened).  So far it's nothing like Twitter in that there are very few official corporate or professional accounts there, but there are a lot of people there.  I could see Threads injecting that corporate/professional focus that would make me and a lot of other people feel like we can cut the Twitter cord once and for all.

Oh, and I understand about thermo.  I did just well enough to never have to take it again (and even then I think the professor was just being nice).

Thanks for the explanation @Doohickie. And FTR, you did better than I in Thermo. I 'enjoyed' the class so much I took it a second time. 🙄

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1694457191963468184?s=46&t=h0yvSDHtOEJBIIBDkE7IaQ

Matthews signs a 4 year extension at 13.25 million AAV with Toronto 

Not really the contract I was expecting Matthews to sign. I thought he would be looking for more money, or that rate for 2-3 years. I think it’s a good contract for the Leafs. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

What is Connor McDavid going to get like 20 million? 

Whatever 17-18% of the cap is at the time. 

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Not really the contract I was expecting Matthews to sign. I thought he would be looking for more money, or that rate for 2-3 years. I think it’s a good contract for the Leafs. 

Whatever 17-18% of the cap is at the time. 

There will be another lockout after all these high contracts once again 

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

There will be another lockout after all these high contracts once again 

Why?  Owners are paying out a limited, set % of revenues.  Why would they care how the players split up the money amongst themselves?