Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was obvious Spezza was going to wherever Dubas ended up. I don't see any way he can make Pittsburgh into a genuine cup contender with that roster so good luck to them both, they will need it. 

Pittsburgh is now years away from being a legit cup contender. If they 'keep the band together' they have 1, maybe 2 year of simply contending for a wild card spot. But that franchise needs a LOT of work.  They have a total of 2 (TWO!) players that were first round draft picks by them in their system (Sam Poulin and Owen Pickering).  Neither was a top of the round pick, neither is even lighting it up in juniors/AHL. Most place that talk about farm systems have them ranked in the bottom 3.  They have a 1st rounder this year but they don't have their 2nd or 3rd.  As bad as Philly has been and in need of a total teardown, Pittsburgh might be looking at something worse, just a year or two behind Philly.

The team is aging out of playoff contention and for a rebuild, there are no 'workers or tools' anywhere to be seen for that rebuild.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Pittsburgh is now years away from being a legit cup contender. If they 'keep the band together' they have 1, maybe 2 year of simply contending for a wild card spot. But that franchise needs a LOT of work.  They have a total of 2 (TWO!) players that were first round draft picks by them in their system (Sam Poulin and Owen Pickering).  Neither was a top of the round pick, neither is even lighting it up in juniors/AHL. Most place that talk about farm systems have them ranked in the bottom 3.  They have a 1st rounder this year but they don't have their 2nd or 3rd.  As bad as Philly has been and in need of a total teardown, Pittsburgh might be looking at something worse, just a year or two behind Philly.

The team is aging out of playoff contention and for a rebuild, there are no 'workers or tools' anywhere to be seen for that rebuild.

The three long time core guys have probably opposed going anywhere else to win one last Cup. They figure they are lifers in Pittsburgh and can stay and keep winning there. Reality bites sometimes.

• Agree 1

Listened to a segment of Kyper and Bourne.

I used to dislike Kypreos when he first joined the media, he struggled with vocabulary and seemed like a loudmouth trying to find an audience.

He is way more polished now and has some thought provoking depth to some of his conversations. He is in the Toronto market and is not afraid to criticize the Leafs as well.

He was talking about the character of Vegas and how they have cultivated it in their short time. He said you can bring outsiders into a strong group and get more from all of them. I immediately thought of Eichel.

He said the Leafs have the wrong approach because their core has a certain mindset and then management brings in character guys at the deadline year after year (Spezza, Giordano, O’Reilly etc..) who are great guys but can’t change the culture in that short of a period and are unable to make a large impact because of that.

Bourne said the same thing bout Winnipeg, there is something off about the culture in their room.

Kyper said it takes character to find character. I like the fact that KA is cultivating a culture with the Sabres that the players love. I think this is a big part of sustainable success. This seems to be taking forever but there is progress and future looks brighter.

I’ll again point out that some great young players signing long term for less than the maximum amount is great for the team in multiple ways. More money for others, more talent can be acquired and more of a team mindset than 20 peons looking at a high priced superstar as the saviour.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Buyer beware of a guy who only stays on a team for 3 years before demanding to be traded. 

Guy is a true loser This will be his 5th team including juniors .

Don't need him  And don't want him

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Buyer beware of a guy who only stays on a team for 3 years before demanding to be traded. 

Really good player. He’s been in two of the smaller markets without having any real success. How much has his attitude contributed to the lack of success?

His agent must be telling him that he should plan on staying a little longer in his next landing spot. This will hinder future contracts/earnings when he gets to UFA status.

You know, the more times that passes where Cozens and Thompson are locked up for only 7-7.1mil the more that contract looks good.

Jesper Bratt: 32g, 41a, 73pts, pays him until he is 32, 7.875mil with half of that coming as bonuses

Dylan Cozens: 31g, 37a, 69pts, pays him until he is 29, 7mil with only 1 signing bonus this year at 2mil

Tage Thompson: 47g, 47a, 94pts, pays him until he is 32, 7.143mil with 1 signing bonus this year at 2mil

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, LGR4GM said:

You know, the more times that passes where Cozens and Thompson are locked up for only 7-7.1mil the more that contract looks good.

Jesper Bratt: 32g, 41a, 73pts, pays him until he is 32, 7.875mil with half of that coming as bonuses

Dylan Cozens: 31g, 37a, 69pts, pays him until he is 29, 7mil with only 1 signing bonus this year at 2mil

Tage Thompson: 47g, 47a, 94pts, pays him until he is 32, 7.143mil with 1 signing bonus this year at 2mil

I so believe in this new group of swords, that I'm hopeful for over 100 points for Tage, but 90+, at that price, yes please. As for Cozens, this young man's potential is off the charts. I'm calling it now, 100+ points, 40+ goals for him this season.

Now, if I'm wrong, I own it, no ifs, ands, or butts.......

This young up and coming group has me beyond excited LG. I'm ready to crash in to a brick wall for them as a fan.

GO SABRES!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

TNT and Cozens are the 88th and 89th highest paid players according to Cap Friendly. After July 1st they may be near 100.

These contracts are so good for the Sabres. If the cap goes up a lot, imagine the talent that can be added or retained.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

TNT and Cozens are the 88th and 89th highest paid players according to Cap Friendly. After July 1st they may be near 100.

These contracts are so good for the Sabres. If the cap goes up a lot, imagine the talent that can be added or retained.

They'll essentially be the equivalent of Matthews and a 4th line player in another year. 

14 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't disagree with this, but I heard an interesting talk on the 32 thoughts podcast pointing out that Vegas only had ONE draft pick in their line up that won the cup. The gist of the talk was that the most important thing in this era is having a place where "players want to play" and the southern teams in the U.S. all have a huge advantage being in states with no state tax. So they were wondering if more teams were going to try to follow their model and move away from the old draft your own idea. In that sense, Pittsburgh may be a candidate to try that even without the state tax advantages. 

Personally I do think the "place you want to play" idea is very important in this free agent and salary cap era with more mobility than ever before, but I don't think it is possible for all teams. Canadian teams are only desirable for hometown players and loser teams like Buffalo have to become winner teams mostly by drafting before they can become "places you want to play" so maybe there's more than one pathway/model for success now. 

We shall see if drafting well can take us over the top on it's own or not. Personally I think it moves too slowly and you might not get good enough fast enough before your window already starts to close (as rookie contracts turn to higher longer deals and add cap pressure). It's a balancing act no matter what the case and windows open and close again quickly. 

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Our #1 and #2 centers compared to a winger’s contract. Nice!

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't disagree with this, but I heard an interesting talk on the 32 thoughts podcast pointing out that Vegas only had ONE draft pick in their line up that won the cup. The gist of the talk was that the most important thing in this era is having a place where "players want to play" and the southern teams in the U.S. all have a huge advantage being in states with no state tax. So they were wondering if more teams were going to try to follow their model and move away from the old draft your own idea. In that sense, Pittsburgh may be a candidate to try that even without the state tax advantages.

Did the podcast bring up taxes? It seems like those are two different things, maybe even in opposition in some cases. A place where the player wants to play isn't directly related net take-home pay. Sure, for some players that will be a big part of the calculus. But the Sabres have two players (so far 🤞) that have taken less money in a high-tax state to play. For normal people state taxes may be a sticking point, but when you're in the 1% of earners it becomes less of an issue for a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Did the podcast bring up taxes? It seems like those are two different things, maybe even in opposition in some cases. A place where the player wants to play isn't directly related net take-home pay. Sure, for some players that will be a big part of the calculus. But the Sabres have two players (so far 🤞) that have taken less money in a high-tax state to play. For normal people state taxes may be a sticking point, but when you're in the 1% of earners it becomes less of an issue for a lot of people.

Wasn’t there an article or a study or some thing done not that long ago that broke down every state and how much of your own money you actually keep? And it looked at all the different state, local and federal taxes and various costs of things like homes etc.? I can’t seem to find the study/article right now. But it was enlightening.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Didn't and didn't. And it was all cleaned up in less than 10 minutes. It's another reason why 'Space is such an excellent place.

People love to fall for the trolls here all the time. Fortunately it looks like they know the difference between trolls and whatever you want to call these spam fishers. 

• Thanks (+1) 1