Around the NHL 2023 Summer Edition

Brawndo

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1694457191963468184?s=46&t=h0yvSDHtOEJBIIBDkE7IaQ

Matthews signs a 4 year extension at 13.25 million AAV with TorontoΒ 

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

He just continues to bend the Leafs over the desk and give it to them raw. Short term at the highest avg in the league for leading them to Jack πŸ’©Β 

19 hours ago, Brawndo said:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1694457191963468184?s=46&t=h0yvSDHtOEJBIIBDkE7IaQ

Matthews signs a 4 year extension at 13.25 million AAV with TorontoΒ 

I don't think its a bad deal for the leafs, not a good deal, but not a bad deal.

Is Toronto getting last years 40 goal version (because he is closer to a 40-50 goal scorer who just had his 'career' year with 60 the season before?)

Or is Toronto getting the 60 goal guy (because last year he was playing with a nagging wrist injury that brought his production 'down' to 40).

I'm guessing he had a slight injury last year and is closer to a 60 goal guy than a 40 goal guy.

Still, its a very high contract but it is fair for getting one of the top 2-3 goal scorers in the league.

The problem Toronto has is they have no 'bargain'/team friendly deals.Β  They really aren't overpaying for any of their stars (they don't have any deals that are a MAJOR regret). But on the other hand, they don't have a Tage or Cozens who can give you 30-50 goals each for $7m. They don't have a 26 year old Hintz who is signed for just over $8 per year long term who is basically a 40 goal scorer. A Jack Hughes who might be a top 5 player in the league and MVP contender who is signed for $8 per year long term.

Toronto has no deals like that. Now, they have no terrible high priced deals, which will insure they are a 'good' team year in and year out. But without any bargain deals, it becomes hard to be a 'great, cup favorite' team year in and year out. They get great production from their top 4, but they are paying close to top dollar for that production.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I read that 50M of the 53M for Matthews is in signing bonuses. Is there a financial benefit to this for him? Does he pay less taxes getting his money at once in one lump sum instead of spread out throughout the year? The only benefit I can think of is protection against a buyout, but I don't think that would be a concern at his age.Β 

10 hours ago, Hank said:

I read that 50M of the 53M for Matthews is in signing bonuses. Is there a financial benefit to this for him? Does he pay less taxes getting his money at once in one lump sum instead of spread out throughout the year? The only benefit I can think of is protection against a buyout, but I don't think that would be a concern at his age.Β 

Pretty sure it protects against a lockout as well. I’d imagine there’s something else beyond β€œit’s my money and I want it now” that I’m ignorant of.Β 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Re: Bouchard, I’m not sure they are comparable. Bouchard was the 10th O/A pick and didn’t become a regular until his D4 season. Also, the Oilers and Bouchard would have much preferred a longer term deal, but the Oilers’ cap situation makes it impossible.Β 
Β 

Power was 1st O/A, and was impactful in the NHL by D2, and the Sabres don’t have any cap issues that would prevent a longer term deal. If Power is bridged I would expect the AAV to come in slightly higher than the Dahlin bridge deal.Β 

Edited by Archie Lee

I think the Matthew’s deal is fine for the Leafs. Instead of an initial 8 year deal, they get him for 9 years with the cap hit going up 14% in year 6. He will be a UFA when he is 30, meaning the Leafs have him through his prime.Β 
Β 

We will see if Matthews starts a trend here. I still predict Dahlin will sign for 7-8 years at just under 10 million per. But I won’t panic if he extends for 4-5 years.Β 

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

I think the Matthew’s deal is fine for the Leafs. Instead of an initial 8 year deal, they get him for 9 years with the cap hit going up 14% in year 6. He will be a UFA when he is 30, meaning the Leafs have him through his prime.Β 
Β 

We will see if Matthews starts a trend here. I still predict Dahlin will sign for 7-8 years at just under 10 million per. But I won’t panic if he extends for 4-5 years.Β 

I would, nothing good comes from shorter terms.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:42 AM, mjd1001 said:

The problem Toronto has is they have no 'bargain'/team friendly deals.Β  They really aren't overpaying for any of their stars (they don't have any deals that are a MAJOR regret). But on the other hand, they don't have a Tage or Cozens who can give you 30-50 goals each for $7m. They don't have a 26 year old Hintz who is signed for just over $8 per year long term who is basically a 40 goal scorer. A Jack Hughes who might be a top 5 player in the league and MVP contender who is signed for $8 per year long term.

Toronto has no deals like that. Now, they have no terrible high priced deals, which will insure they are a 'good' team year in and year out. But without any bargain deals, it becomes hard to be a 'great, cup favorite' team year in and year out. They get great production from their top 4, but they are paying close to top dollar for that production.

Dubas screwed up that team when he signed Tavares. He thought that was the move that would do it, but what it did was make the young guys who did more or as much want more too. Tavares signs for 11, there's no way those guys are happy with less.Β 

We got lucky with Tage. I think there was still some uncertainty as to whether or not he could sustain that level and maybe he doubted it himself so Adams was smart to offer a good contract up front. Risky, but it worked. Tage might not be happy in the future, hard to say. Cozens is Adams playing the same card and although I don't think it's a risk, it is based on one year's production so we have to hope that one works too.Β 

The tricky spot is obviously Dahlin and then Power. What will Dahlin's final number be, and if Power becomes as good or better then what will his number be? We are in a luxury spot right now with all the entry deals but it's going to get tricky if we actually get good.Β Β 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2023 at 6:38 AM, #freejame said:

Pretty sure it protects against a lockout as well. I’d imagine there’s something else beyond β€œit’s my money and I want it now” that I’m ignorant of.Β 

It helps if there is a trade during the season.Β  If the compensation is $10 million but $9 million is signing bonus, the acquiring team only has to pay the player the remaining prorated portion of the $1 million salary.Β  Note the cap hit is still $10 million.

This is why the Ben Bishop and Johnny Boychuk acquisitions were good for Buffalo when they were far below the cap.Β  Kevyn brought in cap hit at little actual expense to the team.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya know, it's summer, I want hockey, but going down that old path AGAIN just ain't worth it.Β 

The problem is that I don't know what path you have been on or going on. Speaking in generalities without being specific is a path to nowhere. If you got an idea then say what it is. A blank slate is a blank skate. Nothing can be deciphered from it.Β 

Edited by JohnC

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The problem is that I don't know what path you have been on or going on. Speaking in generalities without being specific is a path to nowhere. If you got an idea then say what it is. A blank slate is a blank skate. Nothing can be deciphered from it.Β 

Personally I think it’s just a lot of frustration and complaining. But you can’t blame some fans feeling what they feel. Instead of concrete, logical, reality based answers they just want to vent. Β At least that’s how I see it.

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's last year's news. There's no real point in going over who I would have liked to have added to get us into the playoffs. Ship sailed. They chose to be cap floor and took on dead contract money to do it.Β 

They did what they did this year, and we will see if it's enough. Personally I don't think it is, but you never know. More teams like Boston maybe or Tampa, might fall far enough for us to have a shot. Maybe.Β 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Zamboni said:

Personally I think it’s just a lot of frustration and complaining. But you can’t blame some fans feeling what they feel. Instead of concrete, logical, reality based answers they just want to vent. Β At least that’s how I see it.

I have no problem with people venting. We all do it. However, when that is all that is expressed then it gets tiresome to hear. If someone has a proposal to improve the roster, then present. If not, then what's the point of repeating the same expression of frustration.Β 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem with people venting. We all do it. However, when that is all that is expressed then it gets tiresome to hear. If someone has a proposal to improve the roster, then present. If not, then what's the point of repeating the same expression of frustration.Β 

about the same as the point of criticizing it.Β 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's last year's news. There's no real point in going over who I would have liked to have added to get us into the playoffs. Ship sailed. They chose to be cap floor and took on dead contract money to do it.Β 

They did what they did this year, and we will see if it's enough. Personally I don't think it is, but you never know. More teams like Boston maybe or Tampa, might fall far enough for us to have a shot. Maybe.Β 

Even if the players you coveted were available and brought in it wouldn't have guaranteed a playoff spot. What you fail to acknowledge is that in the last quarter of the season the Sabres were playing extremely well with the roster they had . The team fell short. That's the past. Look forward and stop lamenting about it.Β 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

Even if the players you coveted were available and brought in it wouldn't have guaranteed a playoff spot. What you fail to acknowledge is that in the last quarter of the season the Sabres were playing extremely well with the roster they had . The team fell short. That's the past. Look forward and stop lamenting about it.Β 

That kicked in goal they allowed is still jsut lingering (islanders) I think... That game alone may have changed the tide of the playoff outcome.Β 

Any who, on to 23-24 and a hope for some spring hockey!Β 

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

That kicked in goal they allowed is still jsut lingering (islanders) I think... That game alone may have changed the tide of the playoff outcome.Β 

Any who, on to 23-24 and a hope for some spring hockey!Β 

You can't look at any one game or controversial play and conclude that it made a difference in making the playoffs or not. Without a doubt the Sabres were on the receiving end of bad calls. But that is not to say that the Sabres weren't also on the receiving end of bad calls that benefited us and were factors in winning the games. In a long season, it usually balances out. The Sabres barely missed out in making the playoffs. Looking back, as futile as that is, the difference in not qualifying for the playoffs can be attributed to three losing streaks of 8 games or more within the season. If they could have come away with a few more loser points within those streaks we would have made the playoffs.Β 

And yes, I agree with you that the Islander game you referred to at the end of the season was gut wrenching. That's the beauty and agony of sports.Β 

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you stop questioning it, I can stop talking about it. Nobody said "guarantee" but increase the probability? Definitely.Β 

When we deconstructed, I said I was going to compare our rebuild to other teams and see who had the best plan. So far Seattle is ahead of us (yes, I know there's nuance and difference in their case), New Jersey is way ahead of us, Detroit is behind us, and Ottawa is slightly behind us. Vancouver failed miserably if you want to add them (I wouldn't).Β 

I'm interested now in a couple things besides obviously seeing if Adams did enough. Will what Detroit did work? Some strange choices. Will be interesting to see. Will Ottawa equal or pass us? Similar to us with a few differences. Definitely in the mix. Will Nashville pull off a miracle and stay competitive despite deconstructing? and how fast (or slow) will the Montreal plan go? Lots of interesting varying pathways and it'll make for great discussion down the road if someone else succeeds and we fail.

Obviously if we succeed, it's all good, and then (and only then) hats off to Adams for being right.Β 

But I ain't getting on board until the the train actually gets rolling. As I've said many times, fool me once and all that. Prove it now.Β