A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

From The Athletic

Sabres in the market for a top-4 D, goaltending

The Sabres would like to upgrade in goal, but our understanding is that GM Kevyn Adams’ top priority is landing a top-four defenseman.

On goaltending, assuming they don’t want to rush the development of Devon Levi, the Sabres need to get an experienced NHL starter onto the roster before training camp begins. Hellebuyck has to top the list, but he’ll be pricey. The Jets will be looking for young team-controlled assets in exchange. The Sabres do have plenty of those — from Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to Peyton Krebs to even Casey Mittelstadt.

If the Sabres balk at the Hellebuyck asking price, they could also get into the market for John Gibson, who will also be pricey and would likely prefer to play for his hometown team, the Penguins, but might see the upside in the Sabres’ lineup and consider that a better long-term fit.

Of course, surrendering zero assets and shopping on the UFA market for a goalie might be a better option. Even if the Sabres do extend Rasmus Dahlin on a monster contract after July 1 — probably eight years in the $10 million range — they will have cap flexibility.

Gibson headlines Ducks’ loaded trade class

The feeling is that the 29-year-old Gibson (No. 7 on the trade board) would be amenable to a move to a contender because the Ducks are not going to be a playoff team for years. His contract is reasonable — $6.4 million for four more years — especially if you believe he can still be a top-10 NHL goalie playing behind better defense.

Gibson has a 10-team no-trade list. The suspicion, though, is his preference would be one of three: Pittsburgh, Vegas or Los Angeles. He probably would be OK with New Jersey or Buffalo, as well, given their upward trajectories.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The same article states Hart, Hellebuyck and Gibson are among the 7 players likeliest to be traded and mentioned only the Sabres as a team potentially interested in big name goalies, although I’m sure there are others. (It states the Kings would like to be in that market, but would need to juggle cap.)

Vladar, Swayman, Ullmark, Blackwood, Murray are other names to watch in terms of potential goalies available.

Also, it reports Graves is not close to signing with the Devils, and a sign-and-trade, like with Severson, is possible. Same goes for Another Sabrespace favourite, Miles Wood.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The last time Gibson had a good season, Jeff Skinner was getting used to the Sabres as his 'new' team.  I don't want a goalie that hasn't been anything but average-to-below average since before the Pandemic.  No thanks.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also, it reports Graves is not close to signing with the Devils, and a sign-and-trade, like with Severson, is possible. Same goes for Another Sabrespace favourite, Miles Wood.

Sounds good to me. If Severson went for a third then Graves could be had for a fourth.

They could wait until July 1st and not have to give up anything but there is a risk of a sign and trade elsewhere. If he is the guy KA wants then a 4th rounder is a small price.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From The Athletic

The Sabres would like to upgrade in goal, but our understanding is that GM Kevyn Adams’ top priority is landing a top-four defenseman.

As we know, and as he should have been LAST off season but better late than never. 

I also think he should be looking for a couple gritty 2 way role players that can maybe kill penalties and/or win face offs but I think he knows that too. He just crapped out on Eakin and Staal. 

So many goalie options, so much cap space and trade capital. Just get it DONE!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I also think he should be looking for a couple gritty 2 way role players that can maybe kill penalties and/or win face offs but I think he knows that too. He just crapped out on Eakin and Staal. 

I’m amazed that Staal is still going. He’s not doing much but the occasional contribution and depth helped their run.

I think a guy like Erik Haula still has a bit of game left, he would help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Sounds good to me. If Severson went for a third then Graves could be had for a fourth.

They could wait until July 1st and not have to give up anything but there is a risk of a sign and trade elsewhere. If he is the guy KA wants then a 4th rounder is a small price.

Is Graves worth it though, is he truly a Top 4 defensively skewed Dman

very disappointed that he isn’t related to Adam Graves 

Edited by thewookie1

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From The Athletic

On goaltending, assuming they don’t want to rush the development of Devon Levi, the Sabres need to get an experienced NHL starter onto the roster before training camp begins. Hellebuyck has to top the list, but he’ll be pricey. The Jets will be looking for young team-controlled assets in exchange. The Sabres do have plenty of those — from Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to Peyton Krebs to even Casey Mittelstadt.

If the Sabres balk at the Hellebuyck asking price, they could also get into the market for John Gibson, who will also be pricey and would likely prefer to play for his hometown team, the Penguins, but might see the upside in the Sabres’ lineup and consider that a better long-term fit.

Of course, surrendering zero assets and shopping on the UFA market for a goalie might be a better option. Even if the Sabres do extend Rasmus Dahlin on a monster contract after July 1 — probably eight years in the $10 million range — they will have cap flexibility.

Gibson headlines Ducks’ loaded trade class

The feeling is that the 29-year-old Gibson (No. 7 on the trade board) would be amenable to a move to a contender because the Ducks are not going to be a playoff team for years. His contract is reasonable — $6.4 million for four more years — especially if you believe he can still be a top-10 NHL goalie playing behind better defense.

Gibson has a 10-team no-trade list. The suspicion, though, is his preference would be one of three: Pittsburgh, Vegas or Los Angeles. He probably would be OK with New Jersey or Buffalo, as well, given their upward trajectories.

Not that I really want Gibson but ***** him if that’s his attitude 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I wonder about Brett Pesce

A Hurricanes fan offered him w/ extension

for Olofsson (50%) and Bush (50%)our 1st this year and our second next year.

id be tempted for sure

He doesn’t have greatest defensive metrics and that’s concerning considering he plays in Carolina Defensive System. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Is Graves worth it though, is he truly a Top 4 defensively skewed Dman

very disappointed that he isn’t related to Adam Graves 

He is the UFA that I’d love to see the Sabres go for. He’s been playing ~19-21 minutes a game over the past 4 seasons, a reasonable amount of playing time for a 4D. He blocks shots, he hits, and the last four seasons has put up a respectable 26, 15, 28, and 26 points. His Corsi for numbers are not great, 44%, 49%, 47%, 47%, but it is clear that the Avalanche and Devils both viewed him as a mainly defensive player, as his defensive zone starts made up 58-65% of his starts over the past four years. This also likely explains to some extent the lower corsi numbers. 

• Like (+1) 3

I’d be super excited if KA got us that big #4 RHD, a vet goalie and a face-off winning scrappy center that can put the puck in the net.

A center built for playoff hockey. Can you imagine? How much better our defense will be compared the defense that played at the beginning of last season or even the end of it?  Being strong in goal? I mean, really strong.  I am certain our #2 line is going to make a substantial jump next season with Quinn - Cozens - JJP all a year older and bigger. Then give Casey a real good center to partner with. Maybe put Jost, Krebs or Rousek at #3 RW…. Who knows, maybe Kulich? With two vets, Kulich might be able to pull it off…  Finish it ll off with a Miles Wood addition.

I mean, why not?

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Friedman says teams are talking to Calgary about Hanifin. Have to believe Adams is one of them. He fits the profile, fits the system and  Granato coached him

Interesting option, and if it's a real negotiation would getting Vladar  as well be enough to pair with Levi? Take a chance on Markstrom regaining form? Calgary wants to clear a spot for Wolf so I suspect one or both of them is available. 

Hanifin isn't my first choice, but it's definitely an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Interesting option, and if it's a real negotiation would getting Vladar  as well be enough to pair with Levi? Take a chance on Markstrom regaining form? Calgary wants to clear a spot for Wolf so I suspect one or both of them is available. 

Hanifin isn't my first choice, but it's definitely an upgrade. 

First time I’ve heard this name as a trade option.  What differentiates him from Comrie?  Career back up, no? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.