A Top 4 Defenseman is Adams Top Priority per Lebrun

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

They upgraded physically 

He isn't an upgrade physically.  The stats don't support your assertion. Hagg is 6'2 210 with Bush 6'2 200.  Bush had 99 hits last season (68 games), Hagg had 97 (48 games).  Hagg also added 111 this season for Det (38 games).

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No the point of UFA is to fill holes on your roster. Sure that can mean upgrading but it can also mean downgrading or status quo. 

Also Boosh speaks russian... so it was an upgrade IMPO. 

If you are filling your holes with worse players than the ones that just left your team is generally heading in the wrong direction.  Admittedly a team like TB brings in Bogo for cheap depth, but for a team like Buffalo to bring in status quo or worse players is a mistake.  Bush was supposed to be an upgrade over Hagg and just wasn't.

• Disagree 1

Is Will Borgen ready for a #4 role? Had a very good year in Seattle. He is the type of dman that would pair well with Power. Size, skating, defensively aware. Kind of like the Muel to Dahlin. Just another option to look at.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you are filling your holes with worse players than the ones that just left your team is generally heading in the wrong direction.  Admittedly a team like TB brings in Bogo for cheap depth, but for a team like Buffalo to bring in status quo or worse players is a mistake.  Bush was supposed to be an upgrade over Hagg and just wasn't.

I don’t know what you were watching but in no World was Boosh a downgrade to Hagg.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He wasn't a downgrade, he was basically the same.  That's the problem.

I think Hagg was traded to get an asset before we were going to lose him anyway to free agency....so he was gone.  Who were you going to want to sign instead of Boosh to fill the gap?  Slim pickings available (without overpaying) was my recollection.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He wasn't a downgrade, he was basically the same.  That's the problem.

You think it's a problem, I don't. 

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He isn't an upgrade physically.  The stats don't support your assertion. Hagg is 6'2 210 with Bush 6'2 200.  Bush had 99 hits last season (68 games), Hagg had 97 (48 games).  Hagg also added 111 this season for Det (38 games).

Using hits to measure physicality is not great impo.

21 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I think Hagg was traded to get an asset before we were going to lose him anyway to free agency....so he was gone.  Who were you going to want to sign instead of Boosh to fill the gap?  Slim pickings available (without overpaying) was my recollection.

Hence why sometimes status quo is all you can you do.

Or we could be Detroit who dumped money on downgrades.

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Or we could be Detroit who dumped money on downgrades.

I don't think they were downgrades relative to Detroit's prior roster. Copp is an upgrade over Suter/Rasmussen as 2/3C from the previous season. The issue is if Larkin (very good but not great) is your 1C, you'd better have another 1/2C caliber as your 2. But Copp is not that. He's a low 2/good 3.

Maybe in a couple seasons if Kasper becomes a 1/2 and Larkin is a 1/2 and Copp an overpaid 3 it'll work out for them.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Because I think that David Jiricek is going to be better than any "proven" defender you can trade that for. In fact I like Jiricek so much I think he might be a top 10 defender in the league within the next 3 years. 6'3" great skating physical RHD don't grow on trees. 

So the goal is to keep on waiting? It's been 20 years of misery and you want to keep on waiting some of us don't have time to wait any more 

12 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So the goal is to keep on waiting? It's been 20 years of misery and you want to keep on waiting some of us don't have time to wait any more 

I can't believe people thing that making moves that will pay off big in 2 or 3 years means that they cant be a cup contender this season...

They can do both!

Edited by Crusader1969

20 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Does anyone know what Andrew Peeke’s metrics were like. I know his +/- was bad. You have to think he will be on the block if Jiricek is ready to go there.

Peeked is available.  What the price is beats the heck out of me.

I think Graves is the best fit OA. I know he is a lefty but he just checks so many boxes.

Big, physical, strong defensively and on the PK. Has excelled on two high tempo transition teams (Avs, Devils) If he is not looking for Severson term then throw a pick at the Devils for his rights and lock him up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Look, if you don't know who David Jiricek is, that's fine. But maybe you should find out before saying something like this. David Jiricek will be a top 4 defender in the NHL starting in October. 

Ever hear of Moritz Seider? David Jiricek is a good comp. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yeah, but how many OT winning goals did Hagg have, huh? How many? 

• Haha (+1) 6

On 6/12/2023 at 9:48 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

But the point of an FA signing is usually to upgrade the roster.  I don't think Bush moved that needle.  KA could have accomplished the same thing by just retaining Hagg.

I agree with this tbh. He wasn’t very good in my estimation 

On 6/12/2023 at 11:20 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I can guarantee every player would rather play against Hagg as his hits are the rub you off the puck variety.  Effective but not worrisome.  Ilya will straight up blast you.  Maybe he takes himself out of position more.  Didn’t see it too much.  But I want the guy the other team is peeking over their shoulder for. Please give me Will Borgen back.  ☹️

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

I can guarantee every player would rather play against Hagg as his hits are the rub you off the puck variety.  Effective but not worrisome.  Ilya will straight up blast you.  Maybe he takes himself out of position more.  Didn’t see it too much.  But I want the guy the other team is peeking over their shoulder for. Please give me Will Borgen back.  ☹️

Not a chance on Borgen unless we are sending Seattle an immediate upgrade.  I don't know about anyone else, but I can't imagine trading for him 1-1 for any of the defencemen they would find acceptable.

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Not a chance on Borgen unless we are sending Seattle an immediate upgrade.  I don't know about anyone else, but I can't imagine trading for him 1-1 for any of the defencemen they would find acceptable.

I didn’t see it as a reasonable option. He was always EXACTLY what this team needed.  I hate to even look at the protected list to see who they kept over him. 

• Agree 1

With regard to Adams and an RHD....

I'm guessing he's going to want that top 4 RHD to be NHL experienced (thinking 25 to 30 age range) and cost controlled (already under contract at a reasonable cost for 3 / 4 years or more).

I started looking at teams rosters on capfriendly but am unfamiliar with many of the other teams D players game style (stay at home, 2 way, offensive). Anyone have any thoughts on it outside of the already beat to death names? Is my guess fairly accurate even?

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

I didn’t see it as a reasonable option. He was always EXACTLY what this team needed.  I hate to even look at the protected list to see who they kept over him. 

I hated to lose him as well, but we went with the 7-3-1 approach to protect more forwards....which regrettably included Bjork.  Otherwise we were more at risk protecting just 8 skaters.  We needed to protect Risto with the anticipation of trading him.  Dahlin was obvious and the other protected D was Joki.  I have mixed feelings about Joki today and if we had to do it all over again, who would you rather have.....Borgen or Joki?!?!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.