Would you trade Devon Levi for Connor Hellebuyck with a contract extension?

inkman

Would you trade Devon Levi for Connor Hellebuyck with a contract extension?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Devon Levi for Connor Hellebuyck with a contract extension?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Are you 100% positive Ullmark would be the same goalie in front of the Sabres team if he never left, as he is in front of the Bruins team?

personally I am 99% positive Ullmark would be worse in Buffalo than Boston. By a lot.

There was an Athletic Article on how Bob Essensa the Bruins Goaltending Coach made a small tweak in Ullmark’s Style and how much he improved as a result. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wildman72 said:

Heck no! Use Hellebuyck to mentor Levi. That's it. Other than that, Levi is someone to build the team with. Getting tired of the Sabres trading everything away for short term fixes. Look at Ullmark!! Trade him away, then he is one of the best goalies in the league with Boston. They trade away gold before it becomes great.

Another 'mentor' comment.  You don't make a blockbuster deal for a player to be a mentor. Mentors are overrated, we have coaches to teach players. 

Mentors can help,  but everyone gets really carried away with them. 

I have seen Connor Hellebuyck of the Winnipeg Jets another overrated goalie like Robin Lehner and Linus Ullmark that some of our foolish Buffalo Sabres fans are in love with. Devon Levi is the starter and UPL/Malcolm Subban remember him I rather have him over trading for a back up goalie. Those two UPL/Subban will come to camp to compete for the back up goalie spot behind Levi the Sabres starting goalie with the loser of the UPL/Subban competition going to be the starter for the Rochester Americans AHL would be my choice based on reality. The Buffalo Sabres would be foolish to part with anything for someone’s trashy backup goalies in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Sabres Fan
  • Vomit 2

Levi is penciled in as our future star goalie, no question. But he's not a sure thing. He has to be given the chance to be that guy, but he might not be, or he might not be that guy yet.  So we need a good #2 or a temporary #1.

There are SO MANY goalies in play this off season if Adams can't upgrade from Comrie/UPL then he's not trying hard enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Levi is penciled in as our future star goalie, no question. But he's not a sure thing. He has to be given the chance to be that guy, but he might not be, or he might not be that guy yet.  So we need a good #2 or a temporary #1.

There are SO MANY goalies in play this off season if Adams can't upgrade from Comrie/UPL then he's not trying hard enough. 

He’s got to look at it cold heartedly and be comfortable possibly losing UPL and Comrie via trade, waivers or buy out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He’s got to look at it cold heartedly and be comfortable possibly losing UPL and Comrie via trade, waivers or buy out.

Doesn't UPL have to clear waivers to go to Rochester?  I see a trade as I can't imagine Levi backed up by UPL for the season.

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Absolutely. I think fans here too aren't used to the idea of having TOO MANY bodies at any position and not really caring about fringe players. You need to just look at the starting team. If we can improve and solidify our goaltending pair I don't care what happens to Comrie or even UPL. If you can ship out UPL for a pick sure, do it (after bringing in your new goalie of course) but if he gets claimed on waivers sfw. 

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If we get a better goalie to aid Levi, I would trade UPL. I’m not going to waive him for nothing.

Agree. I would hate to lose him for nothing.

It would be nice if he did go to Rochester for one more year. Otherwise there may not be a goalie prospect down there. Maybe they draft a 20 year old like Milic or Suchanek who could go to Rochester right away.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

I have seen Connor Hellebuyck of the Winnipeg Jets another overrated goalie like Robin Lehner and Linus Ullmark that some of our foolish Buffalo Sabres fans are in love with. Devon Levi is the starter and UPL/Malcolm Subban remember him I rather have him over trading for a back up goalie. Those two UPL/Subban will come to camp to compete for the back up goalie spot behind Levi the Sabres starting goalie with the loser of the UPL/Subban competition going to be the starter for the Rochester Americans AHL would be my choice based on reality. The Buffalo Sabres would be foolish to part with anything for someone’s trashy backup goalies in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

But UPL and Subban are bad and horrible, respectively. Handling the goalie situation like this would be a fire-worthy offense, and would have a good probability of being the SOLE reason the team misses the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

LeBrun reports that Hellebuyck has informed the Jets that he will not sign any extension in Winnipeg and doesn’t want to play in Canada.

He will be moved.  Would I trade Levi for him? No

He is 30 and will want a big $ extension.

I would rent him for a season if the deal was fair to pair him with Levi for a season and get a good playoff run.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

LeBrun reports that Hellebuyck has informed the Jets that he will not sign any extension in Winnipeg and doesn’t want to play in Canada.

I would rent him for a season if the deal was fair to pair him with Levi for a season and get a good playoff run.

Obviously, if rebuilding , Winnipeg would look to capitalize on moving big assets. Trading them to a team only looking for a one year rental would not yield a good enough return. I would expect the Jets to seek out a partner looking to sign him. A one year rental as a last resort.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If he is demanding a trade and putting conditions in the deal then the price comes down a bit.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

There was an Athletic Article on how Bob Essensa the Bruins Goaltending Coach made a small tweak in Ullmark’s Style and how much he improved as a result. 

But don’t we have some god of a goalie coach?  Or Atleast well regarded when we came over?  It’s been 4 years and our goaltending has been terrible.  

Mike Bales has been giving closer to Steve Smith results than say an equally hyped Sam Ventura (I know tough to compare different divisions.)

Adams praised Bales after last season despite finishing 29th in the league in even strength save percentage.  But is it not worth considering a change at this point?

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

But don’t we have some god of a goalie coach?  Or Atleast well regarded when we came over?  It’s been 4 years and our goaltending has been terrible.  

Mike Bales has been giving closer to Steve Smith results than say an equally hyped Sam Ventura (I know tough to compare different divisions.)

Adams praised Bales after last season despite finishing 29th in the league in even strength save percentage.  But is it not worth considering a change at this point?

I have been having questions about Bales too.  If we are keeping him, I would like evidence that he is doing well with the players he has had the last couple of years.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I’m surprised there has been zero coaching changes especially with how bad the PK was last year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I’m surprised there has been zero coaching changes especially with how bad the PK was last year. 

Agree....there can be such a thing as TOO loyal with respect to players and coaches.  I know they are trying to create a new culture, but WINNING > culture.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I have seen the Jets a lot when he comes to Vegas, he always gets lit up. Hard pass for me. I like Levi.

10/22/22: jets 2, Vegas 5. Rittich in net

10/30/22: jets 1, Vegas 2 (OT). Hellebuyck with 46 saves

4/18/23: jets 5, Vegas 1 (playoffs). Only 16 saves this time

4/20/23: jets 2, Vegas 5 (playoffs). 34 saves

4/27/23: jets 1, Vegas 4 (playoffs). 21 saves

2/2/22: jets 5, Vegas 4 (ot). 42 saves

2020-2021: Covid season. Never faced each other

10/2/19: jets 4, Vegas 3. Brossoit in net

Thats every Winnipeg at Vegas game over the last 4 years. Where’s this “always gets lit up” that you speak of?

Edited by shrader

15 hours ago, French Collection said:

Agree. I would hate to lose him for nothing.

It would be nice if he did go to Rochester for one more year. Otherwise there may not be a goalie prospect down there. Maybe they draft a 20 year old like Milic or Suchanek who could go to Rochester right away.

I would draft one of these players. Overage goalies are the way to go. 

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Agreed

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ie we should probably be bringing in someone quite capable, keeping the status quo isn’t really a viable option 

I think a bunch of us are going to be disappointed.  I don’t see KA spending assets on a goalie for a year or two.  Not a “good one” anyway.

And it will annoy me.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

I think a bunch of us are going to be disappointed.  I don’t see KA spending assets on a goalie for a year or two.  Not a “good one” anyway.

And it will annoy me.

I think he can sign a korpisalo type that costs no assets other than $$. And the cap is no issue for at least a few years. Korpisalo would be an huge upgrade over UPL and Comrie and probably an upgrade over Levi is his stage of development. Granted, if you sign him you have to trade UPL and probably hope Comrie clears waivers to Rochester. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.