Would you trade Devon Levi for Connor Hellebuyck with a contract extension?

inkman

Would you trade Devon Levi for Connor Hellebuyck with a contract extension?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Devon Levi for Connor Hellebuyck with a contract extension?

• Yes
    • No

Tough call.  It would depend a lot on what kind of contract he would be willing to sign.

I know we love Levi but you are talking about adding a top 5 goalie for hopefully 5 years.  In combination with a couple other key moves, it could make the Sabres a Cup contender.

I voted yes, but it hurts my heart.

• Agree 1

No! Levi gave a glimpse of the type of goalie he could be when he played in the end of season playoff run. He was more than impressive. In comparison to what a Helly contract extension would require, retaining Levi would give the GM more options to add talent to the blueline. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

Tough call.  It would depend a lot on what kind of contract he would be willing to sign.

I know we love Levi but you are talking about adding a top 5 goalie for hopefully 5 years.  In combination with a couple other key moves, it could make the Sabres a Cup contender.

I voted yes, but it hurts my heart.

Pretty much my take.

I really, really want Levi to be the guy. He’s got the personality, youth and athleticism to be the best.
Helle is a top 3-5 goalie in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Always go with proven over what could be

The Sabres are currently built around "what could be."  They're built for the future.  Hellebuyck will soon be in the past.

Also if they trade away Levi they'll be regretting it in less than two years.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 5

I think the fan base would walk around in a state akin to the mildly concussed if you traded Levi at this point. I don't like any of the options I have heard as the ask for Hellebuyck. I am willing to trade 13OA and UPL for a year of Hellebuyck. I'm not adding an A prospect or Krebs, but if the option were add one of those options to the preceding list or just trade Levi straight up, I'm keeping Levi. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Sabres are currently built around "what could be."  They're built for the future.  Hellebuyck will soon be in the past.

I guess I didn't realize Helle was 30... I may have to change my answer now. 

It's a tough call.  I would freaking love to add a no-BS top-shelf goalie to this team and see what would happen over the next 3-4 years, with TT, Tuch and Dahlin entering their primes and Skinner and Helly squarely in their primes, plus all the up-and-comers. 

Ultimately though I voted no.  Like some others upthread, I think an extension with Helly will cost too much, which would result in the Sabres being unable to keep a couple of guys I don't want to part with -- and, more importantly, I think the spread between Helly and the goaltending that they should be able to find (although they haven't done so yet), either from Levi or elsewhere, isn't large enough to justify the high cost.

• Like (+1) 1

No.  I don't really have much of an opinion of Hellybuyck...I mean is he good yes. But as a player/fan, I don't have anything for him. Levi?  I like him as a fan, I like his attitude, I like how the fanbase has already connected with him.  So just as a 'fan', I'd rather have Levi.

If you could guarantee me at least 1 Cup, I'd do it. But there are no guarantees. Plus our goalie depth right now looks sketchy beyond Levi. So I'm a no. 

I'd rather trade some combination forward depth/picks/UPL than Levi for Hellebuyck as a stop gap. And if that's not possible, then I'd try to get a lesser quality starting goalie that improves our tandem over Comrie/UPL.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

At 30 I'd say he's less than a 50-50 chance to play at a high level for 5 years.

Goalies don’t often maintain their high level through ages 30-34?

You may be right though.  I chose the word “hopefully” for a reason.

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Levi would be a Conn Smythe candidate within those 2 years.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Goalies don’t often maintain their high level through ages 30-34?

They *can* but I wouldn't expect them to.  Recency bias with Anderson probably influences a belief that Helle would be fine but I just feel like while he might be a good "now" acquisition, I certainly wouldn't trade the team's apparent goaltending "future" for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They *can* but I wouldn't expect them to.  Recency bias with Anderson probably influences a belief that Helle would be fine but I just feel like while he might be a good "now" acquisition, I certainly wouldn't trade the team's apparent goaltending "future" for him.

Carter Hutton waves hello....

• Like (+1) 2

I would not make this trade.

Levi has shown a lot of potential, and by all accounts is extremely mentally tough. He’s young enough that he can develop in the Sabres system and learn how to play in the NHL behind this Sabres team. He has a couple cheap years left, and after those years, his next contract will likely be cheaper than Helle. (Even if Levi plays at an elite level, it would be for 2 years instead of the 8 years of solid to elite play)The Sabres will be able to build around Levi better. 

Hellebuyck is also 30 and bears a lot of risk, as who knows how much longer he will be productive. Maybe he’ll play another 5 or 7 years at a good level, maybe it’s 2. 

All of those factors might be acceptable if we were guaranteed top 10 goalie play for 3 or so years, but goalies that switch teams are far from consistent with their play. We could trade for Hellebuyck and very well end up with an expensive below average goalie, and that is not a risk I want to take.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.