2023 Stanley Cup Finals: Florida vs Vegas

Thorny

1 minute ago, rickshaw said:

Tkachuk getting two 10 min misconduct penalties is a joke. Once again the NHL showing how to not showcase top players. Yes he’s an asshat, and is a good, but he’s entertaining to watch when he’s not playing your team. Both misconducts are ridiculous. Oh no he knocked his stick out of his hand. Come on.

And everyone on TV will justify the ejection. It's ridiculous.

1 minute ago, rickshaw said:

Tkachuk getting two 10 min misconduct penalties is a joke. Once again the NHL showing how to not showcase top players. Yes he’s an asshat, and is a good, but he’s entertaining to watch when he’s not playing your team. Both misconducts are ridiculous. Oh no he knocked his stick out of his hand. Come on.

Yeah he can be a pretty selfish player at times… But I agree two 10 minute misconducts is quite much. They have it out for him to a degree.

Eichel tripped into the hit, making it way worse than what the contact likely would have been.  By tripping three feet from Tkachuk while moving at a good clip, he basically deadzoned himself into Tkachuk's check as if he were being boarded three feet from the boards.  This on top of what was going to be a solid hit from Tkachuk.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Tkachuk getting two 10 min misconduct penalties is a joke. Once again the NHL showing how to not showcase top players. Yes he’s an asshat, and is a goof, but he’s entertaining to watch when he’s not playing your team. Both misconducts are ridiculous. Oh no he knocked his stick out of his hand. Come on.

And enough with every other player getting 10. This game is not going to turn into a 1970’s game.

The use of the 10 minute misconduct all through this year's playoffs has been utter BS. Refs seem to have favoured Vegas overall in Vegas. We will see if that changes or not in Florida but the league may prefer a Vegas victory. 

Bob seems to have lost his mojo, Fitz was garbage. Montour getting worn out?

Only good thing in this game was Eichel getting smacked. Legal hit imo. 

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Eichel tripped into the hit, making it way worse than what the contact likely would have been.  By tripping three feet from Tkachuk while moving at a good clip, he basically deadzoned himself into Tkachuk's check as if he were being boarded three feet from the boards.  This on top of what was going to be a solid hit from Tkachuk.

It really reminded me of Tua deciding to let himself be flailed around like a stalk of celery rather than just dropping to his knees to take the sack vs Green Bay

Like, just do what any normal athlete in that situation would do 99% of the time and it wouldn't be half as bad as it wound up being

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yeah he can be a pretty selfish player at times… But I agree two 10 minute misconducts is quite much. They have it out for him to a degree.

And how are Vegas not getting 10 min misconduct pens for the crap they pull in dying seconds? Not even imo. Smith throws a little jab at Montour and only gets 2 after 62 went back at him. Why no ten? The nhl ? 😑 

Vegas full marks for series lead. But all I want is even officiating. 

• Agree 1

No amount of officiating help was going to make the Panthers win. I thought there were an awful lot of high elbows in the first period by both teams. Only one team got called. Pretty sure it would not have mattered. It's just one more reason for Florida fans to be mad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

No amount of officiating help was going to make the Panthers win. I thought there were an awful lot of high elbows in the first period by both teams. Only one team got called. Pretty sure it would not have mattered. It's just one more reason for Florida fans to be mad.

Honestly, if the officiating keeps up like this, I expect Florida to decide that if they are going to get over-penalised anyway, then they will make sure to "earn" the penalties.  This is what happened a lot during the goon era.

• Like (+1) 1

I was at both games and Tkachuk is just a ***** loser douche bag. Running his ***** mouth. Why doesn’t the prick back it up with his fists? Why, because he can’t.

45 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Honestly, if the officiating keeps up like this, I expect Florida to decide that if they are going to get over-penalised anyway, then they will make sure to "earn" the penalties.  This is what happened a lot during the goon era.

I was at both games what’s with all the head hounding. If you want to play physical hockey, that’s fine, but what’s with all the headhunting.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Can’t see this going beyond five games with the way Vegas has dominated on the scoreboard these first two games. Wouldn’t be surprised with a sweep. It also appears that Paul Maurice is incapable of making in game adjustments other that hollering at the officials. Not sure I’ve seen a strategy change or not. Nothing has changed in the results. Florida not repping the East in a good way. 

10 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Can’t see this going beyond five games with the way Vegas has dominated on the scoreboard these first two games. Wouldn’t be surprised with a sweep. It also appears that Paul Maurice is incapable of making in game adjustments other that hollering at the officials. Not sure I’ve seen a strategy change or not. Nothing has changed in the results. Florida not repping the East in a good way. 

They have been the dirtiest team I have seen in T Mobile since we expanded into the league. The amount of high headshots and amount of stick work is just beyond stupid. I thought Brad Marchand and Corey Perry were the biggest douche bags in the league but Tkachuk has taken it to a whole new level. He keeps running his ***** mouth and always trying to do dirty ***** from behind. I have no respect for him as a player. And I don’t care if it’s Vegas or some other team but Tkachuk’s face needs to be used as a punching bag. He needs to be taught a lesson once and for all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I was at both games and Tkachuk is just a ***** loser douche bag. Running his ***** mouth. Why doesn’t the prick back it up with his fists? Why, because he can’t.

I was at both games what’s with all the head hounding. If you want to play physical hockey, that’s fine, but what’s with all the headhunting.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I never liked Keith Tkachuk for the same reasons. I like tough, gritty hockey but these guys cross the line into dirty and then won’t drop the gloves.

At least Brady Tkachuk will drop them.

If they were Sabres I could probably take their antics a little better.

7 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

They have been the dirtiest team I have seen in T Mobile since we expanded into the league. The amount of high headshots and amount of stick work is just beyond stupid. I thought Brad Marchand and Corey Perry were the biggest douche bags in the league but Tkachuk has taken it to a whole new level. He keeps running his ***** mouth and always trying to do dirty ***** from behind. I have no respect for him as a player. And I don’t care if it’s Vegas or some other team but Tkachuk’s face needs to be used as a punching bag. He needs to be taught a lesson once and for all.

There were high head shots and stick work by both teams all game. All the ten minute misconducts were embarrassing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As others have noted, the hit on Eichel was 100% clean, and Eichel made it worse by stumbling head-first into it.

First things first -- the Sabres need to make the playoffs -- but this series should make it crystal clear that they need more nasty if they want to be Cup contenders.  That was a bloodsport match last night.

I counted six former Sabres in the lineup last night:  Eichel, McNabb and Carrier for Vegas and Reino, Montour and Fitzie for Florida.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

As others have noted, the hit on Eichel was 100% clean, and Eichel made it worse by stumbling head-first into it.

First things first -- the Sabres need to make the playoffs -- but this series should make it crystal clear that they need more nasty if they want to be Cup contenders.  That was a bloodsport match last night.

I counted six former Sabres in the lineup last night:  Eichel, McNabb and Carrier for Vegas and Reino, Montour and Fitzie for Florida.

The fact he is playing in a Stanley Cup final game speaks volumes about the Florida defensive depth, or lack thereof.  If the Sabres can secure a true #4 RD to play with Power, and Joki slides down and Stillman is a #7, why would our defense not be playoff caliber?  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Eichel is gonna win the Conn Smythe isn't he, repeat of ROR situation to really make Buffalo fans sad. 

He might, but I'd think there are other candidates.  Frankly, this might be one of the rare outlier years (it has been since 2003!) where a player on the losing team deserves it.  But if he does, he does.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Eichel is gonna win the Conn Smythe isn't he, repeat of ROR situation to really make Buffalo fans sad. 

Tough to say. It’s been a real team effort. But, Eichel, Marchessault and Hill to me have been the most crucial pieces leading the way. It’ll be one of those 3, all deserving imo. With the high scoring I think I’ll go with one of Eichel or Marchy. They play on the same line so are sort of part and parcel. I doubt either cares. Jack leads Vegas in points, 2 way play, and is the active points leader in the playoffs. Marchy leads in goals and is on a goal scoring tear. Toss up.

FWIW Jeff Marek’s pick is Eichel 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.